Jane Austen Swap, open media, due May 31st, 2018

Me too. I can't actually count how many times I have seen it. Then again, it's my favourite of the books to read as well, so I guess you know where I stand on that!

I'm in agreement with plumhill. The first time I saw the Keira Knightly one, I hated it (have watched it again recently and do like it okay now). I've seen the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth one so many times. Nothing compares to it. My other favorite film is Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. Love, love, love it!

I confess that I still haven't quite made it there despite being an Austen fan and it being within about an hour's drive of my house. Maybe this summer, lol.

I have, however, been to the Bronte House Museum, up in Yorkshire.

If I someday get to England, I would love to visit Jane Austen's house, which is a museum that bills itself as "the most treasured Austen site in the world." :) Have any of you been lucky enough to visit?

View attachment 194140

And, just to be controversial here (perhaps), but anyone with me in really disliking Emma? (The character, I mean, not any particular adaptation, though I do find them all hard to watch.) Jane Austen herself said of Emma, "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like."

On another note, for those who are fans of P&P, have you seen Bride & Prejudice, a semi-Bollywood style adaptation set in India. It's very good, I think. Obviously different, but catches the spirit of it.

And, just to be controversial here (perhaps), but anyone with me in really disliking Emma? (The character, I mean, not any particular adaptation, though I do find them all hard to watch.) Jane Austen herself said of Emma, "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like."

On another note, for those who are fans of P&P, have you seen Bride & Prejudice, a semi-Bollywood style adaptation set in India. It's very good, I think. Obviously different, but catches the spirit of it.

Welcome to the lurkers' couch, katelnorth! We'd love to have you join us!

You must definitely make a road trip to see Austen's house. I love museums of all kinds, and hope to get there one day.

And yes, I definitely didn't like Emma. She is my least favorite Austen heroine, for sure. I can't decide if Pride and Prejudice or Persuasian is my favorite book.

I have seen Bride and Prejudice, but it must not have made too much of an impression, since I don't remember it well. I studiously avoid the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies stuff. :)

Just saw your cards TSMarie and they are so beautiful :)! Wouldn´t mind receiving one, I like them all...

I'm hoping to get cards made for the Found Poetry Swap as well (I still have some days off this week) - if I make those and cards for this swap, I could send them together as they are due at practically the same time (if that's ok with you).

I'm hoping to get cards made for the Found Poetry Swap as well (I still have some days off this week) - if I make those and cards for this swap, I could send them together as they are due at practically the same time (if that's ok with you).

That would be just fine. If you decide to do so, you will likely be over 1 ounce, and should include either two U.S. global forever stamps or $2. The deadlines are just one week apart. If you don't mind waiting an extra week for the found poetry, I can send everything back in one envelope. :)

View attachment 194341View attachment 194342View attachment 194339View attachment 194340

OK, so have I mentioned that I really like having a week or two off work? I did some Jane Austen cards today - the scans are a little blurry because the paper flowers and the lace are slightly 3D - only very slightly, but it does affect the quality of the scan.

Each of the cards features a different book; the background text it from an old copy of Persuasion which had a bit of a memoir at the back, so for the non-Persuasion cards, the text is from that rather than from Persuasion.

So, I guess that means you can sign me up officially!

Last edited:

Yep & yep

I notice I'm not on the list - I do want to be signed up - thanks!

Thanks, nanvan! I noticed that a couple of days ago also, and then wondered if I missed something, so I went back over your posts, but didn't see a sign-up. Glad to officially have you!! :)

Back
Top Bottom