Calligrams! (Word Monograms) - HandDrawn/HandPainted - due July 14th

Welcome Prayer_at_Night and roadbike831! Glad to have you both.

Lurk on Ali - hope you come back with your word clouds!

Apparently, one of the most famous calligram artists was the French poet Guillaume Apollinaire. On a side note, it does seem that poets are fond of calligrams for their work. We're doing just one word with this swap, but can definitely see the appeal.

I hope to get to this one tomorrow. Spent today building a new shed - exhausted. Hubby is taking the day off to go fishing tomorrow, so we will have a day off. Goody - time for art!

Sounds like a great time for art! I'm hoping to get another one made too! I have the concept in mind, now it is just making it work on paper.

Oh wow... you really have to know it says lollipops...but once you know you can’t NOT see it...

Lurking....

Hi Anne - yes! that is perfect.

Haagmm - Yes, I think that is fine. I debated on that before I listed the swap and decided that a small phrase or short section of text would be fine.

Marie - Lurk away, but really hope you join!

So this sounds like an interesting book: The bead curtain : calligrams "One hundred copies ... numbered and signed by the author, ... for the fiftieth birthday of W. H. Auden, 21 February, 1957."

Looks like there are only 15 copies in the US. I haven't seen the book, but I do think Bead Curtain would be a fun word to make into a calligram.

Does it help to know that the orange are the letter O. The yellow is the dot of the i and the red are the top part of the P. The bag they are in is the S.

This one is definitely the most abstract of the 3 I've done.

Last edited:
That reminds me of (long, long ago) when I was studying typing at school (on the old sit up and beg manual typewriters - you know, the type you see in museums !!) We had to use the keyboard symbols, spacing etc to draw pictures. I loved it. I must have been more creative than I remember as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom