pancake machine

The Dude abides
Staff member
Super Mod
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: July 14th, 2018
Withdrawal deadline: none, but please communicate!
Number of Cards: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: unlimited

Calligrams! (Word Monograms) - HD/HP - due July 14th.

The idea for this swap is to take a word and turn it into a calligram. What is a calligram? Technically:
"a word in which the design and layout of the letters creates a visual image related to the meaning of the words themselves"

This designer had some clever ideas: https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/hidden-meaning-logos-word-as-image-calligrams/

Here are a couple of my examples
View attachment 195142
View attachment 195143

Swap Requirements ~
1. Each card must have one word that is shaped in some way to represent what it means.

A phrase or snippet of text would be okay too.

2. All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
3. This swap is 3 for 3. An extra card for the host is welcome, but completely optional.

Other stuff
Mailing Information ~
* Include username, real name, your state/country and the swap name on the back of all cards - and put username and swap name on all envelopes sent.
* US Participants – Please include EITHER a clearly written SASE or a mailing label and stamp.
* International Participants - Please send a clearly-addressed envelope or mailing label and I will cover postage.
*Late cards past a day or so will be returned.

*When you receive your returns, please leave I-Trader for your swap host and rep points for the artists of the cards you receive. Also, in your rep points, naming which card you received is nice, since people like to know where their artworks end up.

Players:
1. Thou Art Delyrias - returns received
2. Haagmm- returns received
3. Prayer_at_Night
4. Roadbike831- returns received
5. Ann_stebbing- returns received
6. Gypsiejanie- returns received
7. Oakville Girly - received
8. minibee1010

Last edited:
Bump! These can be fun - you could make the word "heart" heart shaped, or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious you could make.... super!! Many possibilities (although probably not supercalifragilisticexpialidocious)

Bump! My interest in this swap came from a 1927 book called "How to Design Monograms" by Elizabeth and Curtiss Sprague. It is saved for now from the discard pile. They define calligrams a little differently from today's definition, but still really cool.
View attachment 195460

The term calligram is a fairly recent one - less than 100 years old according to the Oxford English Dictionary

Here is the OED's first recorded instance.
"1920 P. J. Lemos Appl. Art 317 Calligrams are similar to monograms, with the exception that they contain the whole word instead of the initials alone."

I'm lurking while I play around, too... I love word clouds, so I'm going to see what I can come up with!

Back
Top Bottom