Marvellous APC Madness PAT- due July 25, 2018

Astrid Lindgren has written so many wonderful children´s books, but Pippi was her first one and she made her famous. Emil i Lönneberga (I don´t know what´s that in English) is my favourite, but I like all her books really. She has also written some more serious books, like Bröderna Lejonhjärtä and Mio, min Mio, which I think everybody should read. It´s a shame her other books are not so famous as she really was a wonderful author.

I´m not from the Swedish-speaking area of Finland, but Lindgren´s books are well-known everywhere in Finland. Our city theatre is performing a play from one of her books right now, and I went to see it with my class this spring. It´s from the book Ronya, the Robber´s daughter, which is also a wonderful book.

Lovely cards, Kate!

At the European festival last year I got a book about Astrid Lindgren, but haven't read it yet. Pippi is well known in Canada, but I haven't heard of her other stories.

Thank you, Pikkis!
Our library system does have some Astrid Lindgren other than Pippi...I'm gong to read Ronya, the Robber's Daughter.

Can I say something without you all hating me? As a child I did not like Pippi. We watched some movies in school. I found her show to be upsetting. She didnt follow the rules. The rules of gravity, rules of strength, rule about how to talk to adults. See that says I was really uptight as a child. I am sure the books were better than the shows/movies.

I also didnt like the 3 stoogies, with all that hitting and eye poking. The cartoon, the roadrunner, because bad things always happened to the coyote. So things that moved too fast, or defied rules of my universe just agitated me.

Last edited:
I usually try to chose something other than the most well know just so the recipient gets a good variety but Pippi is close to my heart. I never read the stories and knew nothing of her other than her iconic hair. When I was in marching band in high school i had very long hair that all had to go up in my hat when we marched. i wore my hair in two braided pigtails that i could flip over my head quickly and put my hat over. Mom always joked that I was her Pippi Longstocking. Now that she is gone, the memory of that means even more.

Astrid Lindgren has written so many wonderful children´s books, but Pippi was her first one and she made her famous. Emil i Lönneberga (I don´t know what´s that in English) is my favourite, but I like all her books really. She has also written some more serious books, like Bröderna Lejonhjärtä and Mio, min Mio, which I think everybody should read. It´s a shame her other books are not so famous as she really was a wonderful author.

I´m not from the Swedish-speaking area of Finland, but Lindgren´s books are well-known everywhere in Finland. Our city theatre is performing a play from one of her books right now, and I went to see it with my class this spring. It´s from the book Ronya, the Robber´s daughter, which is also a wonderful book.

Ooh, I forgot about Ronya - I've read that one, too :)

Can I say something without you all hating me? As a child I did not like Pippi. We watched some movies in school. I found her show to be upsetting. She didnt follow the rules. The rules of gravity, rules of strength, rule about how to talk to adults. See that says I was really uptight as a child. I am sure the books were better than the shows/movies.

I also didnt like the 3 stoogies, with all that hitting and eye poking. The cartoon, the roadrunner, ebcause bad things always happened to the coyote. So things that moved too fast, or defied rules of my universe just agitated me.

I won't laugh at you, I promise. In fact, I offer my commiserations: as a small child I hated The Cat in the Hat, for similar reasons. For some reason, Pippi never bothered me. Maybe it was just that I was older by the time I got to her. I also never much liked Tweety & Silvester because I felt like the bird was just taunting the cat, and it would serve him right to get eaten :)

What an interesting conversation going on here; I hope we´re not messing up the swap thread....

CastleQueen5, I share your feelings about Pippi and I´m sure we´re not the only ones. But I also think that the main reason for Pippi being that popular is just that disobedience and everything else, as many kids admire her for that; not following the rules, being rude etc. as that wasn´t very common especially at those days when Pippi was first published. It was something out of ordinary in children´s litterature. I remember liking the movies (or I guess it was a TV-series) as Pippi had great adventures and especially I remember the candy shop, it was a heaven :)!

I won't laugh at you, I promise. In fact, I offer my commiserations: as a small child I hated The Cat in the Hat, for similar reasons. For some reason, Pippi never bothered me. Maybe it was just that I was older by the time I got to her. I also never much liked Tweety & Silvester because I felt like the bird was just taunting the cat, and it would serve him right to get eaten :)

Ok so I am not the only one. what a relief.

I liked Pippi very much growing up, not because she didn't follow rules, but because she had a monkey. I desperately wanted a pet monkey as a child. Emily Carr, the Canadian artist, had a pet monkey, and Pippi had a pet monkey and I wanted one too! Lol.

But I share your feelings about the Pippi movies, CastleQueen5, I didn't like them either, I think because of the way her braids stuck up...it looked really unnatural. One of the girls at school achieved the same effect at Halloween by spraying her hair orange and running a coat hanger through her braids.

First cards are in from Kynara! Beautiful work, thank you so much for the hostie! Also, you win a prize!

2 sets of cards have arrived, one from Pikkis and one from dithespy!

Just a reminder to get my *new address,* I can still receive cards addressed to my old address, but it takes a bit longer.

Great cards, mcgillisj! Love the Narnia card for me :)

theweavershand, your cards have arrived! Lovely set for both groups! Thank you for the host card!

Back
Top Bottom