Thread: Best Glue ... what is your fave?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Glue ... what is your fave?

I am wanting to buy an awesome super great glue!
    Any suggestions??
    When someone told me I live in fantasy land I nearly fell off my unicorn
    ♥.**.♥

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use elmers school glue, works great for me and inexpensive.

Art101 is offline You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on its use and how durable it needs to be. And what materials you are working with. I agree with Robin (above), Elmers white glue works for many things. But a liquidy-ish glue can wreck watercolors if applied to the paint, so I'll sometimes use a stick glue instead for that.
    I saw you in my dreams ~ We were walking hand in hand

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lot of different glues...... and I agree with Art101, in that it depends on what materials i'm using/gluing or a specific property of the type of glue, which decided which glue I choose. ( And I realised while writing this, that I own a ridiculous amount of different types of glue, and sorry for the length.... got carried away)

For just paper/card to paper/card I generally use spray adhesive. As it does not warp or wrinkle the paper, being dry generally and allows a short time for repositioning. (unless applied very very thick, which it is then can be, still doesn't wrinkle things, but can bleed though) its great for photographs, or very very thin papers.

For quick or small paper crafts bits I use Glue stick or double sided tape. sometimes I use a clear gum liquid glue, but not often.

If I am binding a book cover with paper or cloth I use bookbinding paste, for the strength, archival property and repositioning time, it does bend the backboard at first, but then it dries flat. But if Im using leather, I use a leather bonding glue.

For hard plastics/wood or other hard materials that need a short glue time, and have a smooth-ish surface I use Gel Super Glue as it sits where you put it and dries very quickly with a strong bond. If the glue time can be a bit longer and the bond needs extra permanence/flexibility or there is more texture to the gluing surface, then I use a Binary mix resin glue.

For hard acrylic plastics that have clean tight smooth connecting edges that will support each other when stuck I use Spirit bonding/welding glue. I use this on things I have laser cut, the go together so cleanly!

For bonds that need some flex, I use an 'all purpose' clear repairing glue from a tube.

For glass, or glass to metal/ceramic/plastic, I use special glass adhesive, but it takes a long time to dry.

PVA (elmers glue) I use on just about anything and everything, as long as it has at least some ability to key to the surface and enough time to dry, it will glue anything. but you do have to note the moisture content, and if it is between plastics it may not dry, ever....

Glue guns.... I rarely use these, as they are so imprecise and unclean, but if you need to fill a big gap an a hurry, or don't really care what something looks like, or your making something big, with say, foambaord, they can be useful.

Out of all of them, the spray mount, double sided tape and the super glue are the ones I most often use.
    .... Total and Unashamed Copic Marker Addict .....

5. Thanks Beauty Hides Pain (BHP) thanked this post
    Likes Beauty Hides Pain (BHP) liked this post
    Art101 is offline You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Asharnanae, good detailed list. Guess I've a lot to learn, I've not even heard of half those glues!

One more glue to add to that list, is wallpaper glue. It can be used to glue down things that you want to dry fairly clear, such as tracing paper onto a surface.
    I saw you in my dreams ~ We were walking hand in hand

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have a favorite brand of spray adhesive that they would recommend? Probably something that would be available at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I hate the amount of wrinkle that I get when I'm gluing down a background onto a card.
    Thanks!!
    Melissa

We all need a little art in our lives!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a product called Scor-Tape. I use it to attach papers to plastic coated items (like altered playing cards). It stays put and eliminates the need to sand the surface. I get it from Amazon but some fabric and craft stores sell it..

9. Thanks Loladog thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been making ATC's for over 10 years and I have several go to glues.
    My main adhesive is Golden or Liquitex gel matte medium it does double duty as it is also a top coat sealer for matte look, which I like. they both have a gloss gel, but I don't care for that finish on my cards.
    Second, is fluid matte medium by Golden or Liquitex-it is a good adhesive for light weight papers, and also sealer and I use it with acrylic paint to make them more translucent. so multiple uses as well
    Goldens has lots of Gel mediums for texture as well -Just an FYI

I have tried Aleenes Tacky glue and it is ok, but very thick, so must take care not to get it all over when applying to backing.
    Mod Poge- which to my mind is ok, but only if you can find the matte version. I have found it remains tacky for a long time. So I would only use it if I was out of everything else.
    Elmers glue. Is one step from Mod Poge-
    glue stick, I used to use it all the time. but found that after a time -years-some of my really old cards that I kept for sentimental reasons, had to be reglued in places. Probably dried or loosened due to heat or humidity. IDK. Also, I did not seal things early on so possibly with a sealing coat of matte medium or some such it would be archival.
    Anyway---that is my experience with adhesives.
    It's Good To Be Queen

11. Thanks Haagmm thanked this post
    Likes RobertStamp liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really partial to glue sticks, actually! I find this kind actually stays stuck (unlike most kinds I've tried): https://www.staples.ca/en/Pritt-Glue...6_1-CA_1_20001 Glue sticks are really not the best glue at all, but I find them very satisfying, and since most of the time I'm just gluing paper together anyway, they work well enough.

I'm also partial to mod podge, particularly the matte finish. I like the ability to use it as a varnish as well, you can get some fun affects using the matte and shiny finishes together! I basically use it like matte medium (it's pretty much the same thing), but it's quite a bit cheaper.
    Come join my Modern Witches swap!
    Site
    : Sketchbook

13. Thanks Queen Bee thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm partial to UHU glue sticks and ek success 2 way squeeze and roll glue pens.
    Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you or stand tall and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapenos."

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Haagmm View Post
    Does anybody have a favorite brand of spray adhesive that they would recommend? Probably something that would be available at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I hate the amount of wrinkle that I get when I'm gluing down a background onto a card.
    Thanks!!
    Of all the spray glues I have used I like 3M's Craft Mount best for general work. Good fine spray in a wide dispersal pattern (use lots of scrap paper or do this outside or in a glue booth... it gets everywhere!)

If your working with glossy resin coated photos or papers a lot, then the photo mount is better, its a bit thicker and has a nozzle that sprays a thin flat line of glue rather than a circle.

If you want to bring out the big guns and make sure something heavy sticks forever.... Display Mount..... but I think I have only ever bought one can.... I have just never really needed it very often. I used it at work this year to stick warped very thick watercolour paper to MDF ... worked a treat.

The spray glue I don't recommend is the cheap carpet glue type stuff you can sometimes find. Usually called spraytak or something similar, You get this weird spray of spiderweb like gluey strands of altering thicknesses. its lumpen, and inaccurate. UGH....... Doubtless its great for carpet tiles..... but its crap for gluing Card/Papers. it can be interesting for creating textures once it drys, I found some in a cheap shop when I was on holiday one year and thought I'd give it a go..... never again.

Watch out for using spray glues in areas that house things like computers..... they will suck it in there air intakes and you will have a lovely sticky dust trap all over the inside of your electronics! Also the particles will be attracted to the screens and you will get a thin film of it all over, and then dust sticks to that too...... Sticky Nostrils arn't fun either..... I have probably inhaled far too much spray glue in my time.......
    .... Total and Unashamed Copic Marker Addict .....