WELCOME TO JAPAN ATC SWAP GAME/Open Medium/Due: August 20th

C3; that is a good idea. I know that it is going to be hard to remember but I'll try to put little reminders in here & there so that artists don't forget.

I think your ATCs look really good. Of all of yours, I thought the washi would be the hardest.... The lanterns are really pretty....

My cards are finished. One is pretty simple, but for its simplicity I think it's pretty and effective for the prompt. Does anyone else feel guilty choosing to make something simple and un-fussy? Sigh. I'm my own harshest critic. Anywho, they're all set and ready mail.

View attachment 196486View attachment 196487View attachment 196488View attachment 196489

I love your cards, especially the lanterns! And, yes, I feel guilty when my cards are too simple (which is often) but I stop when the elements tell me the card is complete. Sometimes, when I try to add more to a card - thinking I should - I overwork it and don't like the results. Sometimes less is more. We truly are our worst critics!

Oshahe, There are 34 items to pick numbers from. There is one item I am dying to have someone make but no one has picked that number yet.

I'd like to sign up if I may. Been looking to wade back into doing ATC's and this looks like it could be fun and far enough out that I could comfortably get my cards completed. Off to PM you.....

One of my words is cosplay, I don't get it. I looked it up of course but still confused. It seems to me like it is more than just dressing up in costumes. Any help would be appreciated.

I would like to sign up, ferretgirl! Looks like fun!
One question: If we get washi does the tape have to be Japan themed? I don't have many choices for washi tape out here in the sticks. I do have some, but not Japanese themed. :)

plumhill2001, I considered making a Japanese doll using washi to create an interesting kimono or dress. It just turned out I had a surprising number of themed tapes in my collection and was able to make a scene. So, maybe fans or a doll or something using washi as the patterns? Just a thought.

vic302000, cosplay is totally dressing up in costumes and live action role playing. Japan is especially known for Lolita fashion which is a specific genre of cosplay. It's really all about creating a character and embodying that character either for an event or as a part of hip fashion culture. But if you look up "Lolita Japan" on google images, you'll get a real sense of the style. It's frilly and extremely girly and plays on the idea of sexy innocence. Very porcelain doll. I actually think Lolita would be a really fun prompt to work with: lace and frills and curls and mary janes. I think if you can capture the feel (you don't have to be literal...or go all out literal, you do you) you'll have a really successful card. Think pinafore! I hope that helps! Good luck

Good definitions. When I think of cosplay I think dressing up like cartoon characters or movie characters. All I can think of off the top of my head is The Incredibles!! It can kind of be compared to Halloween but most cosplayers take their costume making very seriously.

Back
Top Bottom