Illustrated Literature: Fiction ~ Hand Drawn/Hand Painted, Mixed Media ~ Due Sep 29

Foxglove

ATC Guru
Media
Swap Due Date: Sep 29
Sign-up/Withdraw Date: 15 Sep
Number of Cards: 3:3
Number of Participants: 20
Media: HD/HP, Collage, Mixed Media

Are you an avid reader? Ever read a book and think "I can draw/paint/collage that!" Well then, this is the swap for you!

For this swap, you will illustrate a line, part of a line from almost any work of fiction. In this case, "fiction" is (almost) any book that is marketed as a work of fiction. I do have exceptions to this, so please read carefully!

ACCEPTABLE FICTION:
~Children's books/young readers/young adult
~Classical fictions (ex: Homer’s Iliad, works by authors like William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens etc…)
~Romance (I know some of you have a collection of Harlequin romances tucked into your nightstand!)
~Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Yes, this includes Star Wars/Star Trek serials, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett…)
~Western Fiction
~Mystery/Suspense/Adventure

NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR THIS SWAP
~Fanfiction
~Fictional books based off a movie. If it was a book first, then it's okay. But "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is not okay, because the book was only written to follow the movie.
~Comic Books/Graphic Novels
~Self-published fiction.
~Autobiographies (even if it turns out that its a fake biography), political books or religious texts (ie, the Bible, Koran, etc..) Just because you disagree with it does not make it fiction.

So what can you illustrate? Just about anything!
~A character(s) from a book. Romeo and Juliet in a cuddle, Lula in her poison green spandex and Via Spigas (Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels), or Lt Worf firing a photo torpedo.
~A scene or dialog from a book.

DOs AND DON'Ts
~DO: Put the sentence or part of the sentence on the front of your card. This can be neatly written, torn from a book (Goodwill books are great for this) or printed from the computer/label maker. What I mean by part of a sentence: you may use only part of a line that is relevant to your illustration instead of the full sentence, if you choose. (example: You use "it was a dark and stormy night" instead of "It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents - except at occasional intervals....")
~DO: Name the author and book title on the back of the card. Who knows, maybe your card will inspire others to go read that book!
~DO your best work. Make something you'd be thrilled to receive.
~DO communicate. If you don't like a particular theme (like horror/vampires, religious or maybe you see a card that has a great big ol' creepy clown on it, and you are deathly afraid of clowns), that's okay! Just let me know privately and I will make sure you don't get that theme/phobia-inducing card. Just don't tell me the ONLY themes you want are sci-fi or you DON'T want that card just because "it's not your style."
~Religious theme is okay if it's in the context of a fictional book. (ie: you illustrate a line from the book that says "She touched the cross at her neck and prayed.")
~DON'T illustrate anything overly gory, violent or sexual. A vampire biting someone is okay, a werewolf ripping out the entrails of a victim is not okay. Romeo and Juliet in an embrace is okay, the dastardly rogue pirate ripping the bodice of the sassy-but-helpless damsel is not okay. If you're not sure, please ask!
~DON'T do an abstract with a quote. The purpose of this swap is to illustrate a scene or a character from a book.

**This is my second swap, so I am limited to 20 players. If you realize you can't make the deadline, please withdraw by 15 Sep so I can open the swap to anyone on the waitlist.

How I swap: One card from each player will be pulled and randomly swapped (I will make sure players don't get their own card back, two cards from the same artist, or that theme they they don't like.) This means a person who submitted HD/HP cards may get a collaged/mixed media card in return. I will attempt to swap other cards on a like for like basis.

CARD GUIDELINES
~Cards must be 2.5x3.5 inches; neatly cut with straight edges.
~All cards must be in a protective sleeve
~Embellishments okay if they are postal-friendly and enhance the card. Please, no random paper-slapping.
~The front of the cards must have the quote or part of the quote that you are illustrating.
~The back of the card must have the Title and Author of the book(s) you used, your AFA name and the swap name. You are welcome to add additional info if you want!

MAILING GUIDELINES
~From the US: please send a forever stamp; From outside the US: Please send $1. NOTE: I will pay for the returns for the first two internationals who sign up!
~Include a neatly written return address label.
~Do not send an envelope - I will use my own.
~Secure the cards to each other so they won't bunch up in a corner. A flatter envelope has a better chance of making it through the postal system.
~Host cards are not necessary, but would be treasured!

1. Allegrae - Rec'd
2. Donnacr (returns covered) - Rec'd
3. Karenr (returns covered) - Rec'd
4. Casivonmir - Rec'd.
5. Siempe_h - Rec'd
6. Asharnanae - Rec'd
7. Minibee1010
8. Nicolaleeharris
9. Dithespy - Rec'd
10. CherylS - Rec'd
11. Meraki - Rec'd
12. TrinaLD - Rec'd
13. Kentuckydakota - Rec'd

So...anyone want to join?

Last edited:
Oh, I want to so bad!! What a fascinating idea. But I have 3 or 4 swaps/PATs to take care of first, so I will be lurking for the moment....

Welcome Ali! Glad you're joining!

CiciCreates, I hope you get the chance to join, but I totally understand! I have PAT cards to complete before I even *think* about joining more swaps, and I want to join in on this one too.

Lurkers welcome, mwilding! Come on in and relax in the library!

Speaking of...did anyone else read that article from earlier this week - it was an opinion piece. Some guy thought that Amazon should replace libraries. Apparently he didnt like having to pay taxes to support the library system, and bonus, Amazon stock prices would increase! Clearly he had no clue all the (free!) services that libraries provide to local communities. There was an uproar over it, and the original article was taken down. I just have to shake my head. I, for one, am happy to pay taxes to help keep libraries running.

For just one thing, of many, young children always seem to enjoy their first introduction to a library.

My mother was a librarian for many years, and the children's program was her favorite thing. She enjoyed making puppets and acting out the books for the kids.

Within the past year I discovered one of those art vending machines inside a library near me actually... it was so cool!! Libraries are magical places.... all the different worlds we get to visit through all those books within.

(editing to add the link to the art-o-mat website... that's the art vending machine I referenced!)

Last edited:
I often take my 4 year old grandson to the local library - he chooses a book (normally 2 or 3) and we read it in the children's corner.
I love reading aloud and, being an ex-Drama teacher, different voices,
etc are used. I normally finish a book to discover that we have a little audience.

I love the Anne McCaffrey Dragon series of books and have stitched a series of cards showing the different colours of dragons previously. Would it be okay to stitch some more dragons?

All this means - please sign me up (GREAT idea for a swap!)

Oh, absolutely, Donnacr! Stitched dragons are welcomed here, as long as they dont set the books on fire! (I will cover your returns!)

When I was little girl, my mother was always taking me to the library. I loved books since before I could read, and Library day was my favorite day once I *could* read.

Yay! Happy to have you, Karenr! i will cover your returns too, as you are the second "international" to join!

Welcome. Casivonmir!
Yes, if it's the thing you are illustrating, it does need to be English. If it's used as part of the background, though, then no, it does not have to be English.

Back
Top Bottom