Collagaint Ashley

Guaranteed Imperfect
Media
Swap Due Date: September 30
Signup/withdraw date: none, just let me know--I will maintain a waitlist
Number of cards: 3 for 3
Number of participants: 15
Open media

Broadway was my first true love. From the age of 12, my mom took me to NYC, and we’d have an amazing day, shopping, lunching and seeing musicals!!!

Some of my personal faves are Anastasia, Ragtime and 1776.

I’d love it if you’d share on the forum your own memories of musicals that you’ve seen. Was it a huge occasion to go to the show? How old were you? Who did you go with?

Let’s make cards that bring back musical memories! Feel free to use movie musicals, bit please try not to copy the poster or promo materials. If you want to use some imagery from the poster, go for it!

Do 3 different musicals, or 3 different images from the same show, either way. Very important: your cards don’t need to be realistic. Feel free to do an abstract representing how the scene, the music or the actors made you feel.

Your ATCs: - should be 3.5 by 2.5 - should have your 'real' world name, user name, swap name and location on the back, and should arrive by the due date. If they are not received by then, and you don't withdraw via the forum, alas, I must return them and leave neutral ITrader.

Host cards, as always, are optional, but I LUVVVVV getting them!

U.S. players: Please, please, please put an “additional ounce” stamp (in addition to the regular Forever stamp + one “additional ounce” stamp if your envie will be over .9 oz) on your SASE’s. ATC’s are ALWAYS non-machinable, and I’d hate to get envelopes back after everyone’s hard work.

International players, please note: it costs me **$1.36** to return your cards. Please send me that amount in cash, U.S. stamps or Paypal it to me. Include a large self-addressed label or envelope with your name and address on it. If you'd rather use PayPal, just ask for my email. Once you receive your returns, please leave me an ITrader and 'you rocks' for your fellow players.

Let the music begin!!!

Swappers:
0. Collagaint Ashley
1. Bruised CARDS GOT EATEN BY DOGS
2. KiraCat. RECEIVED
3. R Laughy RECEIVED
4. AncientPlanter RECEIVED

Last edited:
I LOVE Broadway musicals - I grew up on them, too, only my mom took my brothers and me to L.A. to see Broadway touring companies. I've only seen 2 actual musicals on Broadway - Chicago (with the amazing Chita Rivera, Jerry Orbach, and Ann Reinking) and A Chorus Line (original Broadway cast, which I saw again when they came to L.A.). My husband, a 50s-90s rock music aficionado, is always quizzing me about rock groups, which I almost never know. I always quiz him about Broadway music, which he never knows. Can't believe I married a man who isn't into musicals! When we were first married he took me to see Chicago in Las Vegas starring (still!) Chita Rivera and my teenage crush, Ben Vereen. My husband fell asleep! I should have divorced him for that ;)

All that being said, I'm going to have to lurk at the moment. I'm signed up for all the Halloween/Autumn swaps and due to neck surgery happening on Sept. 18, my time is limited. After the 18th I won't be doing much of any art stuff for a while since I won't be able to move my head up, down, or side to side for at least a month. Let me get those swaps all done and see how time I've still got before the 18th to work on this.

P.S. I almost always would hang out at the stage doors to get my program autographed, and Jerry Orbach bumped into me! Sigh. Met Patti LuPone before she was THE PATTI LUPONE. My older brother is a producer of old Broadway musicals (from the 20s and 30s mostly) in L.A. and way back when he was getting started he was visited by Stephen Schwartz. Greg drove Schwartz, a few friends, and me around L.A. I sat in the back seat with Schwartz ;) . And while I love almost ALL musicals, I'm there with you about 1776. I think that's my favorite. Except Robert Preston in Music Man. **Sigh**

Hi AP,

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you will join us.

Love your story! I've only done stage door lurking 3 times in the last decade: 1) The original cute blond guy from Rent (pretty long in the tooth by now but still sexy), 2) last April, after Anastasia, and 3) in London after seeing Lord of the Rings in a ginormous theater I was totally smitten with the guy who played Legolas, just that one night, as it turned out).

I dragged my ex-husband to musicals frequently, and he sort of got into it. He liked certain songs from certain musicals.

Good luck with your surgery,
A.

I would love to play! My first musical when I was a kid was Rocky Horror Picture Show. My mom thought it was appropriate for 10 year old me. :biglaugh:

I'd love to join! I've never seen a musical on stage but I've been in three. "Help! I Need a Vacation", "Oklahoma!" and "HMS Pinafor" I was I think 7 or 8 when I was in my first own.

Welcome, welcome Bruised and KiraCat! So glad you could join. This swap is a hoot and a half for me.

Lurk away, Stahlrala! Hope you decide to join us!

Welcome, Laughy!

With people so busy with Halloween swaps, I don't know how many people we'll get. But let's just see what happens.

Last edited:
Lurking! I’m thinking what to make that people would like. I don’t know if to go more “old” musicals like Guys and Dolls, Les Mis, Phantom..etc. Or “new” like Rent, In the Heights, Hamilton, etc. What do you think?

Hi yelita96!

Welcome to the Lurker's Couch! What about a combination? I wish the cards were just a little bigger, because I'd try a collage that includes more shows.

Here's another Broadway tidbit. When I was in my teens, my mom and I tried to get into a sold-out "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart and Helen Hayes. We were in the lobby, in this crush of people, and my mother was yelling at the top of her lungs: "Two tickets? It's my daughter's birthday!" I was both thrilled that we might get in and embarrassed because it was most certainly NOT my birthday. But that was my mom. A woman of action. Anyway, we got in, and it was one of my best Broadway experiences ever!

Next time: A classic show with a lead who had no business being on Broadway.

Lurkers, let's hear your theater stories! And swappers too! Let's keep this forum humming!

Hi,
Here's my next installment of Broadway nostalgia! 1776 is a classic, genius show from the 70s. Yaaawwwnnn, you say! Revolutionary I say. Amazing book and lyrics flesh out our history with 3 dimensional versions like a Randy Thomas J., a snarky Ben Franklin and a cranky John A. And there's a movie version.

A revival on Bwy had Brent Spiner from Star Trek in the lead. Yikes!

I didn't know Brent Spiner did the revival! Love him, love 1776 -- and I probably would have flown back to NYC just to see him in it! Well, maybe not. Haven't been to NYC since 1977. Anyway, another bit of trivia about one of our shared fave musicals: the quote "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a congress. And, by God, I have had this congress!" is often attributed to John Adams. Nope. It was said by the character of John Adams in this musical, but was written by the playwright, Peter Stone (and I have a copy of the book of this musical in my bookcase behind me ;) Love it!

I'm still lurking on this one. Sorry to be taking so long, but now that I've finished all the other swaps I had previously signed up for, I'll give this some serious thought. Seeing another surgeon for a 2nd opinion re: my neck on Wed. and if my surgery is put off long enough, I may have time. I see you need more players so I'll give it every effort to get some done! I just usually don't officially sign up until I've actually finished most of a set.

Back
Top Bottom