Still dreaming...
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Due date: October 19, 2018

Number of cards: 3 for 3
Number of participants: 25 maximum
Inspired by Self-taught artists: Bill Traylor

Another inspired swap. This time it is the Self-taught artist: Bill Traylor. Traylor will inspire you with his life story that translates into his use of color, images and content. This African-American artist born into slavery in the mid-1800’s, incredibly beginning his career as a self-taught artist at the age of 85. Some of his most notable works of art were those that depicted his memories of plantation life in Montgomery, Alabama.

Here are some of his works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Traylor

https://artanddesigninspiration.com/bill-traylor-southern-self-taught-artist-born-into-slavery/

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-8-famous-artists-self-taught

Make three different Traylor inspired cards. The style and medium can be the same for all three or you can mix it up as you choose.

Medium: Hand-drawn or painted, sewing, origami, zentangle, hand-made stamp, etc. No collages, stickers, digital or photography. Handmade art cards only. Check with me if in doubt about your medium. Make something that would be hard for you to give up.

Use your artistic skills and feel free to use your imagination and unique style. All cards must be original (i.e., no prints or copies).
Most of all---Have fun!!!

Requirements:
*All cards should be standard 3.5” X 2.5” and at least one layer of card stock.
*Cards should be flat enough to fit in plastic sleeves.
*Send cards in plastic sleeves.
*Withdraw early if you can’t do the swap, late cards may be returned if they can’t be swapped out.
Mailing and postage:
*PM me for my address when you are ready to send cards.
* Make sure your user name, location and swap name appear on the back of your ATC’s.
*Include your username on your SASE.

* International participants: I will pay postage for first 10 players. Please include a SASE.
*US participants: Include a stamped self-addressed envelope or stamps

Returns: When you receive your returns, please leave itrader for me and rep points for players.
An extra card for the host is always appreciated but not required.

Anyone want to play?

1. Sorexia: USA: Received
2. Bluesky: USA--Received
3. Dithespy: France: Withdrew
4. Redplantladt: UK--Received
5. Essy: USA: Received
6. Iridescent888: USA--Received
7. HazardGal: USA:Received
8. Gypsy: USA: Withdrew
9. jo.on.the.go :USA--Received
10. Blueangel: USA: Received
11. Smilenshine: USA: Received
12. RobertStamp: USA:Received

Last edited:
Oh you better believe I'm getting in on this! I love this guy! Sign me up!

Please sign me up! I didn't know about him but I love what I've learned about him already.

Thanks for the invite...thank you for sharing this artist with us, I wouldn't of heard of him if it weren't for you...please sign me up! Love his style!

I checked the links, hadn't heard of the artist before, but I'm intrigued and might have some ideas. A handmade stamp inspired by his people figures might be something. But I'll lurk first and see if I come up with something. Would collage bits be accepted as a part of a mixed media background (underpainting), as long as the focal imagery follows the rules of hd/hp etc?

I checked the links, hadn't heard of the artist before, but I'm intrigued and might have some ideas. A handmade stamp inspired by his people figures might be something. But I'll lurk first and see if I come up with something. Would collage bits be accepted as a part of a mixed media background (underpainting), as long as the focal imagery follows the rules of hd/hp etc?

Love the idea of a hand made stamp. Collage bits would be fine if the main part is hd/hp. Hope you get inspired.

Back
Top Bottom