Self-taught Artist Inspired Swap: Bill Traylor--Due October 19, 2018

It has been so quiet here. Tomorrow is my weekly art group in my neighborhood and I am going to try my hand at Bill Traylor inspired art.:idea:

My cards are almost done. Although Bill Traylor's style is very simple, it is so hard to capture his fluidity and liveliness. I've made copies of 3 of his paintings and then tried painting a horse in his style. I would post the pictures but my computer is playing up at the moment. The whole process has shown me that although a naive artist may paint things in a simple or childlike way, there is more to their work than you might think at first.

My cards are almost done. Although Bill Traylor's style is very simple, it is so hard to capture his fluidity and liveliness. I've made copies of 3 of his paintings and then tried painting a horse in his style. I would post the pictures but my computer is playing up at the moment. The whole process has shown me that although a naive artist may paint things in a simple or childlike way, there is more to their work than you might think at first.

Thanks for your comment on this artist. I have found that as well. I am glad you challenged yourself.:wideeyed:

Sure...Iā€™m inspired to join. I wonā€™t have time to make cards before I go on vacation and I wonā€™t be home again until the end of September. But sign me up!

I found an awesome video on line... I'll try to find the link. It's show photographs of his town in that time period you can really see his inspiration for his drawings

Sketchbook is packed for Mongolia! No room and not enough weight available for paints and wc pencils but I hope to do line drawings. I probably wonā€™t have time for more than that anyway. I will be sharing at the end of September.

Hazardgal: I am soooo excited. Your art arrived and it is wonderful. First returns for this swap.I see the inspiration and love that you used charcoal. Thanks for the extra for me too.

Finished my cards and popped them in the post! Here's some eye-candy. :) One of the things I really like about Bill Traylor is how deceptively simple his art is. In reality, how he invokes geometric shapes, movement, and point of view are wonderfully complex. This was a fun challenge.

Artist Bill- Pipe Smoking Man.jpgArtist Bill- Drinking Man.jpgArtist Bill- Chicken Man.jpgArtist Bill- Black Cat.jpg

Those are awesome!!! Bill's animals are so refreshing and cheeky and bizarre, and you did a great job interpreting them! They're really wonderful. But I have to admit that my absolute favorite is the pipe smoking man!!...I just love the human figure!

Back
Top Bottom