Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hello Dolly! A Collaborative Art Doll Project due May 13th 2019

Signup date– Oct 1st 2018- WE ARE FULL!
    First Mail Date - Oct 15th 2018
    Number of participants – six, USA only

Hello Dolly!!!!!

Please read carefully before joining. This swap will require a COMMITMENT of time, effort and funds for mailing and supplies. (Using your existing art supply stash is highly encouraged! Art supply hoarders unite!)

For this swap you will be part of an artistic collaboration taking place over a seven month period, mailing to the next player every six weeks.
    At the end of the project you will say "Hello" to your completed Dolly!

You are first tasked with supplying a "starter" doll, consisting of at least a head and torso. It can be something you made or it can be a store bought doll to be altered. It does not have to be made entirely of cloth but please consider mailing costs. Each other artist will add to your doll on their turn.

Next, you will created a journal of sorts...outlining your dolls "story" or "personality". Each artist will then add to the travelogue...a quote, an illustration, a narrative of what was added and why....only limitations are your imagination.

The rules:

THERE ARE NO WITHDRAWS!!!!!
    You must adhere to a six week mailing schedule.
    You must be a member in good standing. No negative or neutral iTrader for 3 months. Positive iTrader of 15+ is required.
    You must, just be willing to commit time and effort to doing your very best work to contribute to a completed doll that will be cherished by it's owner.
    You must send me your name, address, email address and phone number and any other way to contact you that you can think of. I WILL find a way to track you down if you go MIA.
    You must stay active in the thread....post your progress, stop in and say "hi", be social. We will be together here for almost 7 months. Let's make it fun and friendly!

Postage & Mailing:

You will need some sort of mailing box that is sturdy enough to survive opening and remailing to subsequent artists. We will decide, as a group, maximum size of dolls/boxes. Sorry it is unlikely that a padded envelope will be sufficient.

Dolls need to be mailed according to the 6 week travel plan that will be provided after the group is full. NOTE: It works out that there will be no mailing dates in December! Yay!

A. notinkansas
    B. Bluesky
    C. CiCiCreates
    D. aaeshelman
    E. art_junkie
    F. TherapeuticArt
    Last edited by notinkansas; 09-18-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Rotation Schedule:

Art_Junkie: aaeshelman CiCiCreates Bluesky NotinKansas TherapeuticArt

TherapeuticArt: Art_Junkie aaeshelman CiCiCreates Bluesky NotinKansas

NotinKansas: TherapeuticArt Art_Junkie aaeshelman CiCiCreates Bluesky

Bluesky: NotinKansas TherapeuticArt Art_Junkie aaeshelman CiCiCreates

CiCiCreates: Bluesky NotinKansas TherapeuticArt Art_Junkie aaeshelman

aaeshelman: CiCiCreates Bluesky NotinKansas TherapeuticArt Art_Junkie
    Last edited by notinkansas; 09-21-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Bluesky is offline I create therefore I know I am
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add meeee!!!!
    Looking for British ephemera. Open for trading.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay Bluesky!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you are speedily inspired! I didn’t think you’d have this up and running so soon. I assume there will be a rotation schedule plan, such as 1. - doll body; 2. Undies; 3. Outerwear. 4. hair. Etc. etc..... just making sure I will have this info before signing up. And I hope it will still work out that I can host a wooden kokeshi swap in a month or so. Thanks so much for the invite!!
    Now Hosting: Swans, Flamingos, and Herons...Oh My! ATC Swap; A Few of my Favorite Things ATC Swap; At the North Pole, Altoid Tin Mail Art Swap

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CiCiCreates View Post
    Wow, you are speedily inspired! I didn’t think you’d have this up and running so soon. I assume there will be a rotation schedule plan, such as 1. - doll body; 2. Undies; 3. Outerwear. 4. hair. Etc. etc..... just making sure I will have this info before signing up. And I hope it will still work out that I can host a wooden kokeshi swap in a month or so. Thanks so much for the invite!!
    I was going to leave it up to the artist as to what they would like to add on your turn. And your own doll wouldn't necessarily have to be mailed naked. You might want to get her/him/it headed in the general direction you'd like it to take.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...August-15-2013

Here's a link to a previous rotation doll swap hosted years ago by Pochadiva.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should have asked if you'd like to play CiCi.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, NIK, I believe I must!
    Now Hosting: Swans, Flamingos, and Herons...Oh My! ATC Swap; A Few of my Favorite Things ATC Swap; At the North Pole, Altoid Tin Mail Art Swap

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha...I believe you should!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting Pochadiva's link - very interesting! And I really like the idea of a little journal included. Will we have a size range?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind above, I just read your description better! Size to be determined by group after we are filled. This will be fun.

13. Likes notinkansas liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am giving this some serious thought. I wish the previous rotation still had the pictures. Could you post some to know what you are expecting? I don’t know about doll making but I used to be a miniature teddy bear artist. Your dolls might have big heads and bodies with teeny tiny arms and legs. Heeehee
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is so tempting! i just finished a moley group and have so much on my plate. i really cant take on another long commitment. dang it! I'll have to watch from the sidelines and hopefully join you in a future group. thanks so much for the invite!

16. Likes notinkansas liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smidgen....I have no expectations! I'll see if I can find a couple of inspirational pics on Pinterest to share.

I knew you had a lot going when I sent the invite Amy. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway! Glad to have you hanging out in the thread!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    a8ccb878e85275ae25ad5b9668f0eb9b.jpg
    Let me throw this out there for discussion...
    I plan to use a starter doll like this. I may change the pattern slightly, make the head wider, limbs a little more substantial. What if we all start with this basic doll? Might take away some of the anxiety about "What is expected".

Discuss.....

19. Likes theweavershand liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the picture! I wasn’t sure if you were thinking altered dolls or more of a fabric doll. I like the idea you showed. How big is she? I was wondering if she could sit on a chair or sofa. Would we try to draw a similar pattern or would you have one available? I like the idea that the head would be larger for more space for the face. What kind of fabric is that? Do you paint on muslin with acrylics? Sorry for all the questions and I don’t want us in a box, but it is a large commitment so I want to make sure if this is for me or not. It is sounding very enticing!
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could give you the link to the pattern for the example. Depending on what we decide as a group it may need to be resized. I can try my best to do that and provide one to you. My thought is that 12" would be a reasonable size.
    Based on the picture, she is sewn across the hips and knees for sitting.
    Face and fabric is up to you. Paint, embroidery, buttons (like the technique Bluesky used for her Dotees) are all acceptable. I have a book that says Prismacolor pencils work well in tightly woven fabrics.
    As for fabric I plan on using a muslin for the flesh colored parts and a print or patterned fabric to replace the example's white area to give my doll a "direction".
    I don't want to place too many constraints on the group. Even though I am technically the host, this is a collaboration! I want imagination and creativity to run wild!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    6313e13110a8babe9c98db5b3f7890bb.jpgf6a15a5e3ea5f51b14128c46422c7f69.jpg
    just a couple more examples.
    Keep in mind that at the end this will be YOUR doll. Each artist should make the starter doll to her own liking. The other players will add their best work following a direction/personality/theme outlined by the dolls creator.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really love both of those faces! They are really sweet, and I always seem to prefer cute/pretty over silly/funny/ugly. When I paint on fabric, I always test on a scrap first, to see if my paint will bleed (outlines not crisp). A tightly woven fabric makes a big difference here. Quality colored pencils work, also acrylic paints, and fabric markers are great. I like the pattern sample, but might prefer to make my own (very similar) one. I personally like a finished size of anywhere from 9” - 12”, I guess i’m Just used to working a bit smaller. The 16” - 20” mentioned in the earlier thread seem a bit large to me. Just thought I’d weigh in, I will always be happy going with the majority. I think this is an exciting project!