Foxglove

ATC Guru
Media
Swap Due Date: December 20, 2018
Sign-up/Withdraw Date: December 6, 2018
Number of Cards: 3:3
Number of Participants: 30
Media: HD/HP*

Space – it's an amazing expanse full of wonders: nebulae, galaxies, gas clouds, star nurseries, supernova, mystery planets… Look at any photo taken from the Hubble Telescope, and prepare to fall into wonder.

Links to image galleries: NASA Pic of the Day, NASA Space Place, BZPC Astronomer

For this swap, we are exploring these amazing celestial objects that exist in the Milky Way and beyond. This is not the place to highlight our own sun or moon – we are going bigger and further away! Your first two cards should be somewhat realistic (meaning non-cartoony or whimsical, but they don't have to look 'realistic' like they were a Hubble photo) and can highlight anything that would exist in our own galaxy or a sister galaxy; think of the phenomenon listed above or do something that speaks to you. The third card is a “wildcard” and can be more whimsical if you like, as long as it still has a space/galaxy/nebula theme. Think of a tree whose canopy is made up of stars, or a flower with petals made from a colorful nebula. Let your imagination go wild! For the wildcard, you are allowed to use stamps and stencils to help you along. There are ton of videos out there to show you how to paint a galaxy or nebula - it's easier than you'd think, and so much fun to do!

"Realistic" Examples by Foxglove (3 rolos and an ATC): Celestial rolos.jpg Planet.jpg

DOs and DON'Ts
~ DON’T splatter “stars” on a black card and call it good, because I will send it back to you. There must be some level of visual interest beyond a black field with stars.
~DO have fun with this!

CARD GUIDELINES
~Cards must be 2.5x3.5 inches, sturdy and neatly cut. I will return cards that are misshapen, lopsided or more than 1/8th of an inch off.
~Cards must be in a protective plastic sleeve.
~At minimum, please put a title and your AFA username on the back of the card, but I encourage you to add additional info if you like, such as the country/state of where you live, the date you made the card, or the mediums you used (ie, watercolor, acrylic, markers, color pencils, etc...)
~Do your best work and get creative. Send cards that that are something you would be thrilled to receive.
~Embellishments not allowed except on the wildcard; it must be flat and complimentary to the card.

MAILING GUIDELINES
~Include a Forever stamp (U.S.) or a concealed U.S. dollar or U.S. Forever Stamp (outside the U.S). ***I will pay for the returns for the first two International players who join the swap.***
~Include a neatly written/typed return label.
~Do not include a return envelope – I will provide those.
~Secure cards in the envelope so they don’t all bunch up in a corner. You can tape them to a sturdy paper/light cardboard the shape of the envelope or tape them together in a row.

So who would like to explore the galaxies with me?

1. Wolf_Moon - Rec'd
2. Bea - Rec'd
3. Mushu - Rec'd
4. Amee_Burton - Rec'd
5. CreativeMelodia - Rec'd
6. Stonebandit - Rec'd
7. CherylS - Rec'd
8. Jan - Rec'd
9. HamGravi
10. Mcgillisj - Returns paid for - Rec'd
11. Asharnanae - Returns paid for - Rec'd
12. Cheyenneshea - Rec'd
13. Plumhill2001 - Rec'd
14. DreamWave - Rec'd
15. CreativeSquirrel - Rec'd
16. Evalila - Rec'd
17. JazzEars
18. Weditt
19. AmySi - Rec'd
20. TravellingTestTube - Rec'd

Last edited:
Lurkers welcome! The couch is in the observatory....you know, to help you get inspired! ;)

Yay! Happy to have you, Bea! I snuck a peak at your gallery, and your galaxy cards are perfect for a swap like this!

Lurkers welcome! There are tons of videos out there that are easy to follow. By "realistic" I just mean something that isn't cartoony or whimsical (except for the one wildcard). Realistic doesnt mean you have to do something that actually exists, like the horsehead nebula or the Andromeda galaxy. You certainly CAN paint those, but you don't have to.

Yes, those cards are perfect! I will try and go back and clarify what I mean by 'realistic' - I just didn't want three cards with a smiling moon or 1950s alien spaceship docked at a DS9 space station. :twitcy:

For our first stop on this intergalactic tour, we will be learning about Supernova.
~They are created when a star's mass becomes too great, and the core collapses, causing an explosion. These explosions are around 10 billion times bright than the sun, and will outshine a galaxy – in fact, they can be easily seen during the day for weeks or months. The earliest known record is of a “Guest Star” that was recorded by the Chinese in 185AD. The Crab Nebula is a result from a supernova explosion. There are three types of supernovae:
--Type I: Happens when a White Dwarf steals the matter from a companion star in a binary system (when two stars orbit close to each other.) When the mass gets too great for the White Dwarf, it will collapse and explode. The force of the explosion sheers off the outer layer of the star, leaving behind a neutron star.
--Type II: Happens when a massive star can't sustain its mass, and begins to rapidly collapse and explodes. The collapsing of the core creates immense pressure, and basically changes the elements of the star's core. When the core creates the element of iron, the star's core will die and cause the star to violently implode and then explode, leaving behind a neutron star, pulsar star or magnetron star (which creates such a powerful magnetic field, that it can draw the iron from your blood from thousands of miles away!)
--Hypernova: Over 100 times more powerful Type II explosion, the Hypernova is a rare and extreme example of a core explosion. Hypernovae will create a black hole when they collapse. In fact, after the U.S. and Russia agreed to ban the testing of nuclear weapons in 1963, a U.S. satellite designed to detect nuclear explosions had detected a massive explosion in space. The U.S. thought it was Russia, testing nuclear explosions in space, which would have resulted in WWIII. Then they realized what they were seeing was a black hole, created from a Hypernova. It was spewing out massive amounts of gamma radiation.

Last edited:
Gonna lurk a bit. I just made some galaxy cards and wondered what I would use them for. But I would have to add more to make them fit the rules. When I Google "nebulae" and "supernova" I get the same group of photos, lol. So I guess definitions are loose? Not sure if I can carry this off, so I'll let you know. ;)

I am sure your cards are perfect, Plumhill2001! I have added some photos of previous card/rolos I've made so you can have an example to reference. "Realistic" is just a way of making sure people don't splatter white paint on a black card. It doesn't mean you have to try and paint the Horse Head Nebula or anything like that. :-D Beyond that, the sky is the limit (no pun intended!)

Thank you CherylS! I will add you to the list!

Back
Top Bottom