Media
Swap Due Date: Due January 25, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due Due January 25, 2019
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome
Chinese New Year - Year of the PIG, Due January 25, 2019

Returns Mailed 2/01

Chinese New Year, also known as the "Spring Festival" in modern Mainland China, is China's longest and most important traditional festival, celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar, which consists of both Gregorian and lunar-solar calendar systems. Chinese New Year can begin anytime between late January and mid-February.

The Chinese New Year 2019 of the Pig begins on February 5, 2019 – the second New Moon after the Solstice. The Chinese New Year’s festivities end two weeks later on the 15th day of the first month on what is known as the Lantern Festival.

The Chinese believe that as they enter a new year, they should start a new beginning. They pay off all of their debts, purchase new clothes, paint their doors, and even get new haircuts in order to have a fresh start for the new year. The night before the New Year begins, it is important to completely clean the house and sweep it. If you sweep or clean on Chinese New Year Day, it is bad luck. Same goes for showering. Instead of showering the morning of Chinese New Year, you are supposed to do it the night before and wait until the day after to shower again, or else all your good luck gets washed away. Chinese New Year day is spent with family and friends and usually there is a big family dinner and each traditional dish made symbolizes something.

For this swap, your cards can be depictions of this year, 2019, which is the Year of the Pig. But you may also depict any Chinese New Year Animal, and there are 12 Chinese New Year animals to pick from. You can show the Lunar New Year or the Spring Festival, or the Lantern Festival (which ends the Chinese New Year celebration.)

You can show celebrations of the Chinese New Year, such as Lion Dancing, Dragon Dancing, parades and/or fireworks.
The dragon is a very popular symbol for the Chinese New Year. It is a symbol of strength and good luck. A Chinese New Year celebration would not be complete without a giant dragon parading down the street. The dragon costume is always very colorful and can be up to 100 feet long. People inside the costume make the dragon move up and down as it zigzags past the spectators. You will also see fireworks and hear firecrackers! There are many beliefs about why fireworks are used. One belief is that the noise of the fireworks is supposed to scare away all evil spirits allowing the new year to begin without misfortunes.

You can show Chinese New Year traditions, like the gifting of money in red envelopes/red pockets.
On Chinese New Year, it is good to be a single person because all the married people give unmarried people red pockets with lucky money inside.

You can depict other Chinese New Year celebrations/traditions such as the following:
Fish, which are synonymous with Chinese New Year, Koi in particular.
Koi are very positive symbols and the different colors all have their different meanings!
So when you fill you Koi pond, make sure you get the right color mix! All very feng shui!

You can depict the Peony.
Known as "flower of riches and honour" or "king of the flowers", the peony is used symbolically in Chinese art, and is a flower much favored for Chinese New Year.

You can depict the Pineapple.
Pineapple is considered a auspicious fruit for festive season.
And, there are always pineapple tarts in every home during the Chinese New Year.

You can add Lucky Coins.
You can tie the coins together by red string/ribbon to activate them, and you group them in 3s, 6s or 9s. And they obviously attract wealth! Odd numbers are ALWAYS better than even numbers.

Usually the U.S. post office (as well as the Canadian Post Office) releases a stamp to celebrate Chinese New Year. I will try to post a link to the new stamp as soon as it becomes available.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.

* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR additional postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy.

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 1 "Forever" stamp. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by January 25, 2019. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. itrader ratings will be given when I receive your cards. Returns will be mailed promptly, as this is only fair to those who get their cards in on time, if not in early.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please send me a PM, and I will send you my addy.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Here are some links to help you get started:

Chinese New Year 2019
Year of the Pig
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_(zodiac)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year
https://chinesenewyear.net/

Chinese Lantern Festival
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_Festival

Special Chinese red packets are specifically used during the Chinese New Year to give monetary gifts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope

Current Participants
Chinese New Year - Year of the PIG, Due January 25, 2019

*1. An. M. Sudyka - Cards Received 12/06
2. Vegan4animals - Cards Received 12/19
rn3. Wolf_Moon - Cards Received 1/08
*4. Donnacr - Cards Received 1/08 * AUSTRALIA
*5. cocoanap - Cards Received
*6. Bishopsmate - Cards Received* ENGLAND
*7. Silky1150 - Cards Received 1/08
8. pouringdiva - Cards Received 1/25
*9. Boots - Cards Received 12/19