Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Envie Addicts Unite! December

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gem, it was actually a pretty interesting job. Let me tell you, though, it was challenging because people were constantly opening the packages of socks. I actually love organizing stuff. I also love working with people and so this new job will be perfect. I'll be the front counter person at a dry cleaner (not what I'd imagined after finishing my master's, but ...) and will also be able to do some of the measurements for alterations (I do have a degree in fashion design) and it's right next store to the grocery store and the hours will be great.

Yes, the sinus thing happens a few times each year and usually I can knock it out with some home stuff - warm compresses, steam, extra water, but the fires up the hill from us turned our air so bad (I can only imagine what it was like closer to the fires) that I think the bad air made it worse. We actually had the worst air quality in the world for a couple of days. Yikes. My friends who had homes up there were safe.

By the way, did I miss some sort of ornament exchange? I'd love to see some photos of the ornaments if anyone has a link.

2. Likes Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The smoke was sickening...I can't imagine how people in China live with it daily.

We had one ornament pic...it's on Pinterest...but the peeps playing are still making or sending them? I think? LOL!

If you ave pics m'dears, post it...we're all nosy!!
    If I haven't said thank you for a kind comment, please know that they are very much appreciated.
    Envie Addicts Unite! June
    Instagram

Gemininorn is offline Corrupting thought with language...
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can‘t post pics anymore because I can‘t lower the picture quality on my iPad. But I might post pics on my blog after my ornament has made it to Nanner. I have received hers but I have not yet looked into the envelope, I am waiting for her to receive hers and then I will open it I can hardly wait...
    Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else > George Orwell, 1984
    http://gemininorn.blogspot.ie

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miss Iowa - so glad the Santa arrived safe and sound!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a nice little share today. I am watching some tutorials (again) on watercolour skintones and this lady mixes watercolour skintones with just 3 primary colours. I hope this isn‘t too basic for all of you, and for someone who really wants to cut down on the sheer amount of art supplies I am waaay too interested in the different kinds of watercolour paints out there...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mU5Cewfs8Jc

7. Thanks kwailin777 thanked this post
    Likes Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the postcard I sent to Kwailin for November. It features my first hand-carved stamp (the acorn).

1_11_Nov_Kwailin_Acorn_Postcard_front_edited_watermarked_resized.jpg

9. Likes janina, kwailin777, Gemininorn, karenr, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this is the ornament I made for CecileB. It is going postal tomorrow, CB! Hope it arrives quickly.

1_resized_12_Dec_EAU_ornament_to_Cecile_2018_005_front_cropped_watermarked.jpg

11. Likes janina, kwailin777, Cecileb, Gemininorn, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gem, thanks for the share! I too, am checking out some tut's...but mine are on a painting style that I dig. I haven't got a chance yet to try it out, but hope I can achieve it. I bought some tut's from a painter Carol Marine. Here's some examples of her work...

Miss Iowa, I've got your lovelies pinned up!!
    If I haven't said thank you for a kind comment, please know that they are very much appreciated.
    Instagram

13. Likes janina, Rosecake, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miss Iowa,

I love the postcard and the ornie. The acorn looks great! What did you carve from? I've done some lino and some woodblock prints. I sometimes dig a little too hard and ink a little too much.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gem, I know what you mean about the different types of supplies. As I progress in my watercolor painting, I'm learning more about the colors and the supplies. The best thing is to check with the manufacturer - Winsor & Newton, Daniel Smith, etc. or with folks at an art supply store (not a crafts store).

I've discovered, through workshops and talking with other artists and the local art supply store and through books and other resources - including videos, that not all color names equal the same color. I already knew this, though, from my work with textiles and embroidery threads.

My best advice is don't get caught up in all the fabulous colors and "stuff" out there. If you're following a particular artist, then you might begin with his or her set of colors. Less tends, quite often, to be more in the long run. Keep in mind, too, that there are warms and cools of each color around the wheel and the properties of transparency through opaque. My oh my, there's just so much to learn.

At the last workshop I attended, one of the attendees said, "I always buy all of the supplies the instructor uses or recommends but I can never paint like the instructor." True.

My first art professor said to buy the best supplies that you won't be afraid to use.

I'll take a look at your link this week. Thank you for sharing.

I'm looking forward to working with some more of my supplies. I've been stubbornly working on this image of some almonds hanging from the tree. I've worked it in a couple of different ways and have a framed piece that I'm fairly happy with. I'm determined to tackle this piece.

Mel, those are great images. I'm particularly fond of the light bulbs and will check out your artist as well.

16. Thanks Gemininorn thanked this post
    Likes Gemininorn, janina, Rosecake, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So today is the first day of my new job. I receive an email from the fellow that was sent about 11:30 last night.

It tells me that he's confirming for 1:30 today and lets me know that I'll be training at a different location with a specific person. I don't know if I'm supposed to check in there or at the other location first.

Then he writes, "The first week you're welcome to stay as long as you're comfortable with."

This is the most unusual thing I've ever seen. I'm not complaining, however, since I'm still really sick with this sinus infection, but it's kind of strange. I hope this isn't a bad sign since I got on really well with the fellow who hired me.

18. Likes janina, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trina just wait and see, it could be a really good sign, too? Don‘t panic just yet, and try and go in there with an open mind. I am sure it will work out well for you, and I hope your sinuses won‘t bother you too much during your work hours. I will be thinking of you, sending you some good vibrations...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the watercolour front I am still biding my time. I am fairly sure I am going to start dabbling with them, they are a challenge and I think it would be interesting to learn how to use them. I am still waiting on my dispensed skintone palette Holbein paints from Aliexpress, but they should arrive any day now. I might get myself a set of Rubens watercolour halfpans (a set of 24) because they are not too expensive (and I can be really stingy sometimes...) and because of the decent price I will not be too afraid to use them. I really would like to try a different quality to what I have now.
    I have been painting a lot with Caran D‘Ache watersoluble crayons in the last couple of weeks, and now I am combining their heavy opaque quality with my more translucent Inktense pencils (they are like watercolour).
    I think I really need to write another blog post soon to keep you all up to date...

21. Likes janina, kwailin777, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemininorn View Post
    I can‘t post pics anymore because I can‘t lower the picture quality on my iPad. But I might post pics on my blog after my ornament has made it to Nanner. I have received hers but I have not yet looked into the envelope, I am waiting for her to receive hers and then I will open it I can hardly wait...
    Gem! Your ornie has arrived! Ima gonna open it tonight.
    My Website: lifeofnanner.com My Instagram: #lifeofnanner

23. Likes Gemininorn liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinaLD View Post
    Miss Iowa,

I love the postcard and the ornie. The acorn looks great! What did you carve from? I've done some lino and some woodblock prints. I sometimes dig a little too hard and ink a little too much.
    Thank you, Trina. I used Speedball Speedy Carve block (the pink stuff). It carves like butter with no crumbling. To print I used Speedball block printing ink. I wished I had bought a color other than black, but I figured I'd start with the basics before blowing a wad on supplies. However, I enjoyed the process so much that I expect to be doing more designs and getting other ink colors. I think it helped that I've been using rubber stamps for many years. Also, having done Gelli plate printing helped me gauge how much of the Speedball ink to use. Hope you try it sometime; it's immensely satisfying!

25. Likes janina, Gemininorn, Miss M liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am confused about the ornament thing ..... ??????

Also Trina hope you feel better, lots of people with the same stuff. I have had a cough that does not go away . Congrats on the job.

Rosecake, happy belated birthday!

Mine is on March BTW .... not that I am sure I want to remember ....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I just realized I normally use envelopes that are about 5.5 x 4.25 (like the ones on the scrapbooking section). is that ok?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suntrade, your envelope size sounds fine to me. ... We had a side trade for anyone wanting to play...it was for ornaments. That trade is now wrapping up.

About the stamp carving, I used the speedball pink stuff too...really easy to carve! ...I totally dig the out comes of DIY carved stamps...more personality.

Trina, hope your day went well. Perhaps you just have first day jitters? It'll soon pass. Hope your sinuses get better...I feel your pain!
    Instagram

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got word that Miss Iowa got my Envie...Here's what I sent...

Instagram

30. Likes Miss Iowa, Gemininorn, Miss M liked this post
    LindyLu is offline I'm tired but I keep chugging along:)
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My ornie from Tandy arrived today & it is a lovely angel with real feather wings. I can't do a pic because my reg. computer is on the fritz so I'm clumping along on a laptop. It is truly beautiful & I hope Tandy will post a pic. She also included an adorable handmade card featuring a fox with a neckscarf holding a mug of ??? hot buttered rum..cocoa..coffee..hot cider.....all of which sound Yuumm!
    LindyLu
    We Will Rise Above This !