Media
Swap Due Date: February 15, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: February 15, 2019
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome
GARGOYLE GURUS, Due February 15, 2019

RETURNS MAILED 2/19

What would the Gargoyle Guru tell you if you climbed his mountain to ask your question?
What words of wisdom would the Gargoyle Guru impart at your request for advice?
What memorable quote or simple saying would you hear from the mouth of the Gargoyle Guru?
All ATCs must have words of wisdom, or sayings, or sarcasm, or sass, plus a Gargoyle.

If you cannot think of any words of wisdom, try going to brainy quotes.
Look up Lincoln or Einstein or Maya Angelou.
Try looking up "cat" quotes or Budha quotes. I found some great ones there to adapt to my gargoyles.

According to wikipedia, "in architecture, a gargoyle is a carved or formed grotesque",
so rather than try to break down the differences, I will accept either or both. You can create gargoyles and/or grotesques (or bosses, or statues) for your cards, since all are similar and the words describing them are used interchangeably in modern day descriptions.

I want to do a breakdown (family tree perhaps) on gargoyles,grotesques, dragons, bosses, animals and human caricatures, etc., to include scientific name, rank, type, species, country of origin, time in existence, and higher classification, like botanists do with plants. I need to spend more time on my gargoyle-ology, also known as gargoyle etymology and history.....
But until then, I am flexible, and accepting of the technical differences, so be creative with your cards, and go for it!

Additional details in the following post.

This is an open style swap. Do mixed media, hand drawn, hand painted or some combination. Go wild. Have fun. Be creative. Use your imagination!

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome.
Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work --- something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909"]http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909[/URL]

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR additional postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy. POSTAGE RATES GO UP JANUARY 27, 2019 FOR FIRST CLASS MAIL

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 1 "Forever" stamp. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by February 15, 2019. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants:
GARGOYLE GURUS, Due February 15, 2019

*/. dithespy -- NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION * FRANCE
*2. CastleQueen5 - Cards Received 01/12
*/. Shan511 -- WITHDREW
*3. SpottedCrow - Cards Received 01/08
*4. mwilding - Cards Received 01/16
*5. BlancoLobo - Cards Received 01/08
*6. AuntieDeb - Cards Received 2/05
*7. Vicki Z - Cards Received 12/13
*8. Ancient Planter - Cards Received 01/12
*9. Boots - Cards Received 12/13
*10. Suzi - Cards Received 01/25
*11. JenUrebel - Cards Received 02/14
12. catladybj - Cards Received 02/14

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
GARGOYLES as versus GROTESQUES, BOSSES, CARICATURES, STATUES, PAINTINGS, AND OTHERS

Gargoyles, although not called by that name, date back to ancient Egypt.
The oldest gargoyle-like creation is a 13,000-year-old stone crocodile discovered in Turkey. Due to the length of the crocodile, it is more of an aqueduct than a gargoyle with a water spout....although both divert water.

In architecture,Gargoyles in 13th century Europe were carved or formed decorative water spouts, animal themed,
designed and placed in such a way as to convey water from a roof and away from the side of a building, thereby preventing rainwater from running down masonry walls and weakening/destroying/eroding the mortar. This technique would protect stone walls and the medieval mortar holding the stones together by diverting rainwater away from buildings (mostly churches.)

In religion, some of the most famous gargoyles in the word sit atop cathedrals, such as Notre Dame in Paris.
Gargoyles were, and still are, popular on churches and expensive mansions because of the widespread belief that they were protection (against evil) for the building and all inside. Some even termed the Gargoyles "Angels" or "Guardian Angels" as they added Gargoyles to cathedrals.

In the 14th and 15th century, gargoyles were used to inspire fear in parishioners, and were used even more extensively in churches. It is also indicated that churches would model gargoyles after creatures worshiped by pagans, thinking/hoping to attract more pagans to come to church and convert to Christianity. Clever marketing!

As animal themed gargoyles morphed into animal themed grotesques; people, including church council members, political figures, construction workers, and even the bad boys in town, became gargoyles/grotesques.
Famous people became gargoyles, and human emotions were carved into caricatures, then gargoyles. There are even heads depicting the "Seven Deadly Sins" being called gargoyles.

Conversely, Grotesques do not have a water spout like gargoyles, but are simply stone carvings, or paintings, statues, or sculptures, of creatures. They can be used as water protection, protection against evil, or they can be decorative.

This practical (water diverting) function is what originally distinguished gargoyles from grotesques (and bosses), although these days "gargoyles" includes almost everything.

"Gargoyle" derives from the French word "gargouille", meaning "throat". Many dictionaries stop the definition there, but it appears that gargoyles originally derived from dragons, and the French legend of "Gargouille" a nasty, fearsome beast that terrorized France for centuries.

According to legend, the dragon swallowed ships, burned towns, then flooded what was left of the town, and ate livestock and people as the mood struck.

It is claimed, that in 600 BC a priest agreed to destroy the dragon if the people of the town would convert to Christianity. He did, and they did, but the dragon head could not be destroyed, so the towns people mounted the dragon head to their church,thus creating the first gargoyle.

That said, you can use gargoyles, grotesques, bosses, gremlins, goonies, aliens, caricatures, or Darth Vader (recently installed at the Washington National Cathedral) for your Gargoyle Gurus. I am very inclusive of all the types, kinds, and sub-groups.

I tried to answer that potential question earlier, without being toooooo wordy, because I often run out of room in the first post of many of my swaps because I explain too much. Above has more details.

Gargoyle history, etymology, and legend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle

Gargoyles vs. Grotesques:
[url]https://whsjohnnygreen.org/features/2013/10/28/gargoyles-vs-grotesque/[/URL]

Last edited:
I think I still have my post cards from Paris of Notre Dame. They were all wonderful black and white photos.

Put me on the lurkers couch till I find them :)

I love gargoyles and am lurking. Thanks for the info on the postage rates. Time to stock up on Forever Stamps!

Welcome lurkers, JenUrebel and SpottedCrow.

JenUrebel,
I seem to recall you did some tiny Gargoyles that were either mini pocket Gargoyles or pocket protector Gargoyles, but that was years ago, and I am not certain.
Hope you can come back and join us.

Yes, postage rates increase 5 cents on each Forever Stamp as of January, 2019.
That will add up fairly quickly if one does much mailing.

Last edited:
Welcome lurkers, JenUrebel and SpottedCrow.

SpottedCrow,
I traded an AWESOME Gargoyle with you about 5 years ago.
He was a lovely guy, quoting a cool poem about not shutting him out, that you found somewhere.

Hope you find your photos and can come back, and participate, and make some more awesome Gargoyles.

Last edited:
I came and lurked and never posted anything. I think it is time to sign me up. I truly love the idea, and I can't even say I am a gargoyle Girl, but such a fun idea.

AWESOME!!!!!
You don't have to be a "Gargoyle Girl" to come up with some Groovy Gargoyle comments.
I signed you up

You know I always LOVE having you in my swaps.
Hang out here a bit and see what comes. Then, I hope you can come back and officially sign up.
In the meanwhile, relax on the Lurkers Couch.

I started my cards today. This theme has been so fun and exciting for me. and again I am not a Gargoyle girl, but loving this whole thing.

I am glad this theme has been so fun and exciting for you, and that you are loving this whole thing.
I have to admit that I had a blast setting up the swap and making samples to post. :jiggy::jiggy:

I have to ask, why are you, NOT a Gargoyle Girl?
In architecture, a gargoyle is a carved or formed statue with a spout designed to convey water from a roof and away from the side of a building, thereby preventing rainwater from running down masonry walls and weakening/destroying/eroding the mortar. It was protection for the building.
In religion, some of the most famous gargoyles in the word sit atop cathedrals, such as Notre Dame in Paris.
Gargoyles were, and still are, popular on churches and expensive mansions because of the widespread belief that they were protection (against evil) for the building and all inside. Some even termed the Gargoyles "Angels" or "Guardian Angels" as they added the statues to the structures.
As guardians, or protectors, Gargoyles have always been considered "good".
Even the TV show "Gargoyles" portrays them as a clan of heroic night creatures pledged to protect modern New York City, as they did in Scotland, one thousand years earlier.

Too bad so many of the carved gargoyles are "ugly".
But, most of us are "ugly" when angry, frowning, growling, or in protective mode.

Back
Top Bottom