International Women's Day Women on Postage Stamps Swap-due March 1, 2019

I went through my big box of stamps, and was a little disappointed in how few women I found. Don't get me wrong, I have more than enough to come up with cards for this swap, but I thought there'd be more for some reason...

I know! It's really sad, and maybe an indicator that there is still a long way to go for women!

Questions, can we use stamps that are not portraits of specific women but maybe women in paintings? What about the statue of liberty, does she count?

Both should be fine, I think, just make sure that if using Liberty, it's more focussed on her, than "America" as a whole, I guess.

I know! It's really sad, and maybe an indicator that there is still a long way to go for women!

I think you're right, smallgirl. I have tons of stamps of the Queen of England, but not so many of non-royal women. And I have a LOT of stamps - it's definitely a sign that fewer stamps are made using the images of women.

smallgirl - I think you missed my question the other day.

Questions, can we use stamps that are not portraits of specific women but maybe women in paintings? What about the statue of liberty, does she count?

smallgirl - I think you missed my question the other day.

Hey, nanvan--she did answer that question in post #23 just a few posts above (still on page 2 of the thread).
She said Lady Liberty is okay as long as the stamp focuses on her and not America in general.
:)

Thanks, BSH - I missed it; MY bad!

Sorry, smallgirl - somehow I scanned past your comment more than once. Combination of old age and exhaustion after a long day at work I guess...

I went through my 3 ring binder of sorted postage stamps. Yes, you read that right. I found about 23 postage stamps that I could use. I did put the Janis Joplin back, since um, I am sick of her stamp. Shhh, and sorry. I found a few uncommon, stamps, and I hope to go that route, and to do it soon.

Please sign me up - Australia Post has been running a series of stamps called 'Australian legends' for over a decade now and many of these are female (unfortunately I do not have too many of them).
I have chosen Germaine Greer (equality), Colleen McCullough (literature) from the Australian series but couldn't go passed Fattmawati Soekarno (wife of the 1st President of Indonesia) and a stamp celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Country Women's Association of Australia (CWA).

Ok, well, I found 4 good stamps, one from Norway, one from Italy, an Elanor Roosevelt, and one from Ras Al Khaima. I had to look that one up---it's a small United Arab Emirates state. It shows the woman's bare breasts, but I've already made a card with it, so I hope no one is offended.
I'll post pics when I've finished my cards.

Oh, yeah, please sign me up, smallgirl!

Ok, well, I found 4 good stamps, one from Norway, one from Italy, an Elanor Roosevelt, and one from Ras Al Khaima. I had to look that one up---it's a small United Arab Emirates state. It shows the woman's bare breasts, but I've already made a card with it, so I hope no one is offended.

Welcome, BlueSkyHare! Your stamps sound great! I don't think there will be any problem with bare breasts, but if anyone would prefer cards without nudity, just send me a pm and I will accommodate that in the returns :)

I have bare breasts under my shirt too, so I won't be offended.

Back
Top Bottom