Dictionary Words, A, B and C ~ Hand-drawn/Hand-Painted/Mixed Media ~ Due Mar 29

Foxglove

ATC Guru
Media
Swap Due Date: Mar 29
Sign-up/Withdraw Date: No sign-up – you are added to the list when I have the cards
Number of Cards: 3:3
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: HD/HP/Collage/Mixed Media

Time to break out that old dictionary you have laying around (or make a run to the local dollar store, thrift store, or even a dictionary website) and get creative with me! For this swap, you will create three ATCs using dictionary words with definitions -- one card will start with the letter A, one card will start with the letter B and one word will start with the letter C. You must include the dictionary word and definition on the front of your card. I do have some Dos and Don’ts, so please read carefully below.

**As much as possible, I will trade medium for medium, unless you tell me that you are okay with getting mixed returns. So if you make HD/HP cards, you will receive HD/HP cards in return unless you send a note saying you’re okay with collage/mixed media cards too.

SOME IDEAS TO GET THE CREATIVITY FLOWING:
~Nouns are easy to picture and art up (apple, bee, cat), however, consider looking at the verbs or adjectives. Example: “Ajar: (of a door or other opening) slightly open” You could create a jar (of jars?) with the lid…slightly ajar!
~Have fun illustrating your word: Example: “Apple: the round fruit of a tree of the rose family, which typically has thin red or green skin and crisp flesh.” You can certainly create a still life with apples, or you can illustrate a doctor running away from an apple (“an apple a day keeps the doctor away”) or perhaps make a little old lady Granny Smith apple. Similarly, if you select “Crab: a crustacean with a broad carapace, stalked eyes, and five pairs of legs”, then you can illustrate crabs playing volleyball (with a deflated ball?) or a cup of coffee with a crab-shaped foam (crab-acchino, aka cappuccino)!
Do whatever sparks your imagination!
~Choose words that evoke a mood. Example: “Blissful: extremely happy; full of joy” Create something that you feel evokes a sense of bliss.

DOs and DON’Ts:
~DON’T slap a bunch of magazine images of apples onto your card and call it good. This isn't artful. DON’T paint a random/abstract background and then glue a magazine/image of an apple onto the card and call it good. You CAN use magazine images if it’s a creative expression of a bigger picture. (Example: You can use a magazine image of an apple that is nestled in a collaged tree or drawn fruit bowl, etc…) Please feel free to ask if this isn’t very clear – this rule in place to make sure that participants receive cards that have been made with an attempt at creativity.
~DON’T have one tiny thing that fits the definition, and a bunch of things that have nothing to do with the word/definition. Example: In keeping with the ‘apple’ theme, don’t have random bits and pieces of stuff on your card with one strip of apple-printed washi tape. That would not meet the creative intent of this swap, and a card like this would be returned to you. Again, please ask if you're not sure on something.
DO show the word/definition somewhere on your card. You can tear/cut it from a dictionary, print it, or have it as a part of your background (as long as the word/definition is visible.) If you have neat handwriting, you can write it on your card as well.
DO have fun and get creative!

CARD GUIDELINES
~Each card must have a dictionary word with its definition on the front of the card. The Dictionary Word for card 1 will start with the letter A, card 2 will start with the letter B and card 3 will start with the letter C.
~Cards must be 2.5x3.5 inches, sturdy and neatly cut. I will return cards that are misshapen, lopsided or more than 1/8th of an inch off.
~Cards must be in a thin protective plastic sleeve.
~At minimum, please include your User Name on the back of the card. You may add more info if you wish (location, date made, mediums used, website info, etc…)
~FLAT Embellishments are allowed and encouraged. If you embellish your cards, please try to ensure it complements the card. Make sure all embellishments are securely fastened to the card.
~NO STICKERS except as an accent and not a focal image. No white borders on the stickers.
~NO LOOSE GLITTER. If you use glitter, it must be in the form of glitter glue or mixed with a sealant like gel medium/matte medium, etc…
~Do your best work and get creative. Send cards that were made with thought and care; something you would be thrilled to receive. (READ THE DON’Ts, listed above.)

MAILING GUIDELINES
~PM me when you are ready to send! Your name is added to the list when I have the cards in hand.
~Include a Forever stamp (U.S.) or a concealed U.S. dollar or U.S. Forever Stamp (outside the U.S). If your cards are thicker or heavier, please include an extra ounce stamp for each card.
~Include a neatly written/typed return label.
~Do not include a return envelope – I will provide those.
~Secure cards in the envelope so they don’t all bunch up in a corner. You can tape them to a sturdy paper/light cardboard the shape of the envelope or tape them together in a row.

Who would like to come play?

PLAYERS (Names will be added when cards are received.)

0. Foxglove (HD/HP)
1. Betsyg (Collaged)
2. Franciebelle (Collaged)
3. IstinKray IlverSay (Collaged)
4. CastleQueen (Collaged)
5. Cheyenneshea (HD/HP)
6. ThouArtDelyrias (Collaged)
7. Katelnorth (collaged)
8. Patsy (HD/HP)
9. Vegan4animals (collaged)
10. Kar3ll (collaged)
11. Dnewton972 (collaged & HP/HD)
12. Donnacr (collaged)
13. Allegrae (collaged) (mailed)
14. Kae.Ryan (collaged)
15. Huddlestonmollie (collaged)
16. Mrubyjean (collaged)
17. Ferretgirl (collaged)
18. Micaela (HD/HP)

Last edited:
Welcome, everyone! So happy to have you all aboard! I won't add names to a list until I'm notified the cards are in the mail - I figured this will be less stressful for anyone who finds themselves overcommitted...no need to risk getting a Neutral because you got busy!

Welcome, both of you! I hope to get to a dollar store this weekend, but I do also have a really old dictionary...I worst case scenario, I will scan some pages and use that instead of a real book.

I'd love to join in this swap if you have the space!

Two questions:
If we decide to make a host card, would you recommend doing a second card with the same letter (another A, B or C card) or would it make more sense to move on to D?

How do you feel about using cuss words if they are done in a thoughtful and artistic way? I like the challenge of breaking down a word and reclaiming it for a positive purpose.

Sounds interesting! If I can get my hands on a cheap used dictionary this month, I'm in. :)

Creative Squirrel, if you would rather invest in a SASE than hunt for a dictionary I currently have 7 dictionaries lying around (most for student art projects and a few in my own craft room). If you give me your words I can send you the pages! PM me if you're interested.

I'd love to join in this swap if you have the space!

Two questions:
If we decide to make a host card, would you recommend doing a second card with the same letter (another A, B or C card) or would it make more sense to move on to D?

How do you feel about using cuss words if they are done in a thoughtful and artistic way? I like the challenge of breaking down a word and reclaiming it for a positive purpose.

Welcome, IstinKray and CreativeMelodia!! Glad to have you both join in!

IstinKray, to answer your questions, host cards are never expected or required - if you choose to send something, I am grateful for anything - it doesn't need to be on-theme. I will be hosting a D, E, F swap once this one gets closer to being swapped out...so around mid-March.

Your second question is harder to answer...I initially wanted to say no, as I didn't think that most people would appreciate it, however, after thinking on it more, I will say yes, you (or others) may do something like that. I really want to see peoples creativity, so I don't want to stifle that by saying no to a particular word. I do ask that whatever you create, please don't make it lewd, crass or racially insensitive. From your post, I don't have any concerns on that point! ;)

Good thought s Foxglove, thanks! The last thing I want to do is offend anyone or put you in an awkward position.

Welcome, ThouArtDelyrias!

IstinKray, do you have the ability to post your cards? If so, I encourage you do to that, and I can get a feel on who would be okay with receiving one of them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind getting a "bad ass" cuss word ATC=) Hee Hee Hee

Ha! I know there's folks out there who like something that is a bit off the norm! Not everything can be flowers and butterflies and kitties. Sometimes you just need a bit of salt and sass! :twitcy:

I remember as a kid, think before the VHS even, that I would look up the scandalous words in the dictionary. Now as an adult who use the online dictionary, I can't even imagine if there are A B C cush words in my beat up printed dictionary, but I will go check this week.

In general, I just make the 4 cards for the swap and let the host pick. I do plan instead to designate a hosted card, since the ABC cards are for the swap. I haven't even started yet, but I did look at your profile and see your likes.

Welcome, ThouArtDelyrias!

IstinKray, do you have the ability to post your cards? If so, I encourage you do to that, and I we can get a feel on who would be okay with receiving one of them.

I'll be sure to post them as I make them, that's a good idea. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom