Addicted to ATCs
Media
Swap Due Date: April 26, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: April 26, 2019
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Native Americans Swap, – Due April 26, 2019

RETURNS MAILED 4/29

The North American Continent was inhabited long before this land was “discovered” . The Native American people never “tamed” the land, but existed in harmony with the flora and fauna of Nature. As Native Americans became absorbed into the "new" culture, they have forgotten, or were forced to forget, their own language, dress, legends, and customs. Some Native Americans have fought strenuously to preserve both.

This Swap is about the original Native Americans of the northern part of the North American Continent, what is now the United States and Canada. This includes the Shawnee, Pawnee, Pueblo, Sioux, Navajo, Hopi, Ojibwe, or any number of (approximately 30) US Tribes I didn’t list as well as the Haida from the BC west coast, and the Coast Salish, who are in the Seattle area, as well as Canada, plus the interesting artifacts in Duncan, the (Canadian) Totem Pole city.

Although the Aztec and the Mayans are also located on the North American continent, they are not to be depicted for this swap since there have already been Swaps devoted exclusively to them, and I may eventually do swaps for each of these.

This swap is about the Native Americans commonly known as “Indians”.
This Swap should focus on the Native American people, their pottery and painted horses; their traditional homes, whether Hogans, tipis, or cliff dwellings; their Totem animals and totem poles; their weaving and war paint; their Silversmithing and scenes of life; their Kachina Dancers and Dream Catchers; their artifacts; their legends and beliefs; as well as Creation Myths such as Sky Woman, Web Woman, Turtle, Raven, Eagle, or Spider Grandmother.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome.
Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work --- something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR additional postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy.

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 1 "Forever" stamp. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by April 26, 2019. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants:
Native Americans Swap, – Due April 26, 2019

1. Wolf_Moon -- Cards Received 4/09/2019
*2. BluSkyHare -- Cards Received 3/30/2019
*3. dnewton972 -- Cards Received 3/12/2019
*4. Ancient Planter -- Cards Received 3/28/2019
5. jmotushy -- Cards Received 3/22/2019
*6. Melanie -- Cards Received 3/12/2019
*7. asharnanae -- Cards Received 3/23/2019 * East Anglia, UK
*/. Stahlrala -- WITHDREW
*/. Sylv08 -- NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION * LINCOLNSHIRE
*8. Karr311 -- Cards Received 3/16/2019
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 3/13/2019
*10. Gypsy -- Cards Received 4/20/2019
*11. JenUrebel -- Cards Received 4/05/2019
*12. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 3/13/2019
*13. Sandy -- Cards Received 3/15/2019

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Oooh, interesting! I'm going to plop myself down on the nice, comfy lurker's couch, as usual, until I can get some done and then sign up officially.

Please sign me up! I am always haunted by the antique photos of Native Americans. I have a small book of them that I bought many years ago.

Oooh, interesting! I'm going to plop myself down on the nice, comfy lurker's couch, as usual, until I can get some done and then sign up officially.

Plop down easy, kiddo.
How are you these days?

Rest on the nice, comfy, lurker's couch, and I will bring you a cuppa coffee.
Hope your Muse joins you, and you can sign up soon.

Please sign me up! I am always haunted by the antique photos of Native Americans. I have a small book of them that I bought many years ago.

The antique photos of Native Americans are indeed haunting.
I don't know if it is the fact that they are in black and white, or if it is their sad faces, but I agree that the photos are haunting.

Welcome BluSkyHare.
I signed you up.

Gichi Bitobig was the original name of Grand Marais, a lovely town on Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota.
Gichi Bitobig has the distinction of having one of the earliest Trading Posts of the American Fur Company, setting up trades (for fur) between the indigenous people and the Europeans, who LOVED beaver hats (a hat made from felted beaver fur).

Your ATCs for this swap can show interactions at Trading Posts, as long as Native Americans are still featured on the card.
Some pictures/paintings I have seen show a Native American wearing a Beaver Hat which looks so terribly out of place. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom