Native Americans Swap, Due April 26, 2019

Welcome jmotushy, both to this site and to my swap.
You appear to be new, so if you have any questions at all, please ask.
This is a friendly group, and everyone is very helpful.

Welcome jmotushy, both to this site and to my swap.
You appear to be new, so if you have any questions at all, please ask.
This is a friendly group, and everyone is very helpful.

Thank you! Yes, I have only done two other swaps on this site, but I am active in another group - I love this subject matter and am excited to get going! Thanks again!

Here is my first set, hoping that these are acceptable! If so, will move on to set #2 ;) Each has a brief explanation on back.

View attachment 204031 Wanka'ntanka - Lakota
View attachment 204032 Diné - Navajo
View attachment 204033 Chumash Village by the Pacific (watercolor painting)
View attachment 204034 Mikiw - Chumash - my high school sits on the site of this village. There was another village nearby, so the early Spanish called them "Dos Pueblos," thus the name of my high school - Dos Pueblos High. (watercolor painting)

FAB cards, Ancient Planted.
They are certainly acceptable, so please make more.

LOVE that you used "Dine'", on your second card.
The word Dine' is from the Navajo's own language and means "the people."

I am interested in you use of the Kokapelli dancer on the same card.
Usually the Kokapelli dancer is associated with the Hopi, so you probably know something about the Navajo that I don't.
Cool!!!!! :jiggy:

Thanks for posting.
Your cards are AWESOME

I'm glad my cards pass muster! I was a little worried since I'm still not any good at painting people so I left them out of the Chumash villages.

Kokopelli was all over the Southwest, visiting various tribes. He started with the Anasazi, which (if I recall correctly) evolved after many centuries into the Hopi. According to Navajo legend, Kokopelli was the God of Harvest and Plenty, to the Zuni he was a Rain Priest, able to make it rain at will. He was a busy fella, that Kokopelli!

I'm glad my cards pass muster! I was a little worried since I'm still not any good at painting people so I left them out of the Chumash villages.

Kokopelli was all over the Southwest, visiting various tribes. He started with the Anasazi, which (if I recall correctly) evolved after many centuries into the Hopi. According to Navajo legend, Kokopelli was the God of Harvest and Plenty, to the Zuni he was a Rain Priest, able to make it rain at will. He was a busy fella, that Kokopelli!

I have many memories of the Kokopelli with the Hopi, but I don't remember Kokopelli being prominent with the Navajo, so thank you for the update.
Each tribe seemed to have their own version of flora, fauna, wind, weather, and Gods that I found fascinating.
Even the colors associated with the four cardinal directions differed from tribe to tribe. Always something different!
I love that I always learn something from the participants in my swaps!!!

Last edited:
Gorgeous ATC, jmotushy.
LOVE the bright colours.

Is this card 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches?...it looks very square in the scan

Last edited:
Yes it is regulation ATC size (2.5 x 3.5), I cropped it down to get the glare from my desk out of the shot. Here is an expanded shot.
20190303_193122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom