On The Other Hand, HandDrawn/HandPainted: Due April 26,2019

Glad to have you in the swap mwilding.

While in the Galapagos, we were hiking on Santiago Island exploring the pahoehoe lava, which is the lava that appears like rope. We were walking on uneven ground and there was a lot of gravel, and I just lost my footing and fell down. I was probably off balance because I was carrying my camera in my right hand and looking ahead to take another photo. I landed on my right side and to try to break my fall, I extended my right hand onto the lava to catch myself.

you are quite the adventurer! i wish you a quick recovery!! and/or patience!

So *that’s* how it happened! When we took snowboarding lessons years ago, the first thing they taught us was how to fall on our butts in order to avoid breaking our wrists - it’s natural instinct to put your hand out to stop your fall, thus breaking it. My butt got a lot of practice, and I haven’t been snowboarding since. :twitcy:

I’m almost done so please sign me up! This has been a lot of fun and an interesting experiment. Will post photos as soon as I do my last one.

Lurking for now - I can't really draw even with my dominant hand so I will try my usual zentangles with my non-dominant.
Can I shade with the dominant or does the entire card have to be non-dominant?

Everything with the non-dominant hand. Actually I find the painting and adding color much easier than drawing with the “other” hand.

I did it! I did it!! :jiggy: And I agree with you, Jo, that it's much easier to apply paint than draw with non-dominant hand. Actually, I think I like my "n-d" work better than my "d" work! I did try to go with what I thought would be simple to do, so a couple are based on paintings I've already done with dominant hand (only one was posted for a swap).

Donnacr - I couldn't draw worth a darn with dominant hand (until surgery last October), but I took an acrylics painting class at an art retreat several years ago and did my work with n-d hand because I knew it was a waste to try with dominant. I still couldn't paint very well, but I was so surprised that my "inner critic" went silent when I worked with n-d hand, and when I put the brush in my d hand, that ugly voice piped up. So back to n-d the brush goes and the voice stopped. It was a fun experience.

View attachment 203886 - Misty Morn at the Pond
View attachment 203887 - Upper Yosemite Falls
View attachment 203888 - Mt. Fuji #3
View attachment 203889 - Delicate Arch at Sunset

Now the big question -- do we write the info on back with non-dominant hand, too? ;)

Last edited:
Wonderful paints Ancient Planter
I will let everybody fill in the back of the cards with the dominant hand- the idea was to challenge your artistic skills not to make you miserable doing all that writing!

I did it! I did it!! :jiggy: And I agree with you, Jo, that it's much easier to apply paint than draw with non-dominant hand. Actually, I think I like my "n-d" work better than my "d" work! I did try to go with what I thought would be simple to do, so a couple are based on paintings I've already done with dominant hand (only one was posted for a swap).

Donnacr - I couldn't draw worth a darn with dominant hand (until surgery last October), but I took an acrylics painting class at an art retreat several years ago and did my work with n-d hand because I knew it was a waste to try with dominant. I still couldn't paint very well, but I was so surprised that my "inner critic" went silent when I worked with n-d hand, and when I put the brush in my d hand, that ugly voice piped up. So back to n-d the brush goes and the voice stopped. It was a fun experience.

View attachment 203886 - Misty Morn at the Pond
View attachment 203887 - Upper Yosemite Falls
View attachment 203888 - Mt. Fuji #3
View attachment 203889 - Delicate Arch at Sunset

Now the big question -- do we write the info on back with non-dominant hand, too? ;)

beautiful landscapes, colleen!

try adding classical music, or opera to this project, and your "inner critic" really has nowhere to go with no words added to the background!

is it possible to explain how to fall on your butt? do you try to collapse into a puddle??

beautiful landscapes, colleen!

try adding classical music, or opera to this project, and your "inner critic" really has nowhere to go with no words added to the background!

is it possible to explain how to fall on your butt? do you try to collapse into a puddle??

Thanks, Marlies! We’ll make sure that inner critic takes a hike, right?,

As for falling on your butt, it’s been 18 years since our lessons, but I think it was raise your arms and just fall backwards into the snow. Of course, now, at my age, falling backwards even into snow would make me worry about breaking my hip! :nah: I was also told by my neck surgeon not to fall because it could screw up the screws in my neck.

I AM WORKING ON MY ATCS, I LOVE THIS, I HAVE 3 done but going to do another, I will post them when I am finished, I am having so much fun with this swap, I find myself using my left hand to do something else after I have been drawing or painting with it. Doing this is giving me a pleasant surprise in how the atc are turning out. I did 2 previous to the 3 I just did, but I think I am not going to use those, anyway, having great fun.

Here is my first card. It is a Galapagos Sea Lion. Before you say "Impossible to do other-handed", remember that for two months I have been eating, writing, brushing my teeth and everything else with my non-dominant hand. One learns!

View attachment 203809 Galapagos Sea Lion
Great job! You're right it's possible to train yourself to use your non dominant hand to do things, even your feet if need be...where there's a will there is a way!

Back
Top Bottom