Marie
Media
Swap Due Date: May 29
Signup/Withdraw Date: May 18
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: All are welcome
Media: Paper collage / fabric / floss

Quilts Squares and Quilts!

For this swap we will be recreating our favorite quilt patterns and swapping squares, kind of like the ‘Friendship’ quilts of yesteryear. Collage may be papers of all sorts- i.e. scrapbook papers, envelope security liners, handmade, flocked or embossed papers, photo transfer, etc. NO HD/HP quilts but you may draw or paint your own papers to piece. You may also draw in top-stitching and quilting pattern lines if you wish. If you choose a knitted quilt –i.e. granny squares-- please use crochet thread or embroidery floss instead of yarn. Remember these quilts/squares need to fit in a sleeve and in most cases, an album. Cross stitch is welcome here also.

Okay so we all know that quilt squares are, well, SQUARE, and ATC’s are rectangular. How then, you might wonder, am I supposed to recreate a ‘square’ on an ATC? I wrestled with that question through three patterns before I discovered the simple answer. Top and bottom BORDERS.

Instead filling in the entire ATC with a quilt square pattern, we can border the top and bottom of the card with half inch strips of coordinating papers or fabrics, just as if we're piecing a strip quilt together. We will not be adding side borders at this time as I could not figure that out. (Of course if you are creating a whole quilt this may not be necessary)

You are free to use any known quilt pattern, or invent your own, but keep in mind that they should be mostly symmetrical unless you are making a crazy quilt. Crazy quilts may not require borders and may actually look better without them… so use your artist’s eye there.

Rules
- All quilt squares/quilts should be 2.5” x 3.5” and sturdy.
- All quilt squares/quilts should be sent in individual plastic sleeves for protection.
- Send only your best work please... something you’d love to receive
- Please include username, real name, and swap name on the back of or tucked in with your quilt.
- Keep quilts as flat as possible— 1/8th inch thick max--no large embellishments or beads.
- While hostess cards are always dearly cherished, they are never required. Come and play!

Postage (United States)

Please include a SASE or a large address label and stamps in the value your cards took to mail to me.

Postage (International)

Please include a SASE or a large address label and $1 (3 cards) or $2 (6 cards) well concealed.

Other Info

Please message me for my address when you are ready to mail and post to the thread when you send your cards. If you already have my address, it has not changed.

When your cards arrive to me I will mark 'received' by your name in the sign up roster. I will also notify you in the thread.

When you receive your returns, please leave iTrader for me and rep points for the artists. I will embed each name in the roster with a hyperlink to make this part easier. I will also leave iTrader as I receive your squares.

Examples:

View attachment 204574 Paper Quilts by Bluesky View attachment 204575 and CiCiCreates

View attachment 204576 Fabric Quilts by malaysiakelly View attachment 204577 and Bunnymther

View attachment 204578Cross-stitched Quilt by xstitcher

For more inspiration here is a link to our swap gallery from last year:
Quilts and Quilt Squares

Who would like to join the quilting bee?

0. Marie
1. Vegan4Animals Arrived :)
2. xstitcher Arrived :)
3. Haagmm withdrawn
4. CiCiCreates Arrived :)
5. Bluesky Arrived :)
6. Quilter2 Arrived :)
7. An. M. Sudyka Arrived :)
8. AngelJoy Arrived :)
9. Betsyg Arrived :)
10. Mushu Arrived :o)
11. CherylS Arrived :)
12. Lorna Arrived :)

Last edited:
I have really liked the fabric based swaps that I’ve done. But a tiny quilt square sounds like something I should try before committing to. I did go look at fat quarters today. :skeptical: I need more craft space in my house, like a whole room would be good!

So, I’m lurking.

Oh yay! I find that tweezers help me a lot whether I’m using fabric or paper. There are sooo many patterns I want to try!!!

I agree, a whole room for crafting sounds luxurious.... even a wall unit in a corner that’s all yours...
wishes, yes?

How fun to have one of my cards as an example! Thank you!!

This sounds like a fun swap.

Sign me up!

I am going to get out the big sampler pattern I used in the example and see what I can put together.

So, I’m not a quilter... but I bought 2 packs of coordinating precut squares of fabric. Do I machine sew larger pieces and cut them down or sew ATC size pieces?

Welcome xstitcher! I loved using your quilt! It’s so detailed and beautiful. Thank YOU! I’ll sign you up right away. :-)

And welcome also Haagmm! So glad you decided to join in! I’ve seen people see an entire tiny quilt fabric quilt (as in the middle two examples, I’ve also seen them cut fabric and glue it to an ATC backing form. Making it larger and cutting it down might be pretty hard .. depending on your pattern. Most make just one square per card, which makes the pieces a little bigger. All your options are open. :) Have fun with it!

lurking. Need to finish others first, then figure out if I can pull this theme off or not! :)

Welcome to our lurkers couch AngelJoy, enjoy your visit and feel free to jump in whenever you like. :)

This was so much fun last time, I do need to lurk for now, but I expect to jump in at some point.

Oh my goodness… I’m watching quilting tutorials on YouTube and salivating over them :-) I can’t wait to get started!

Back
Top Bottom