Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ~ JOURNAL CHAT ~ art journals, junk journals, scrapbooks, etc.....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Post ~ JOURNAL CHAT ~ art journals, junk journals, scrapbooks, etc.....

This is a place to share tips, links and our personal projects.

I joined a Facebook junk journal group and now have at least four journals in the planning and gathering supplies stage. If I really want to follow through and get some of these done I need to back away from swaps and a-thons. LOL

But I love my AFA family so I thought we could maybe get a group going here to keep us motivated. The Facebook group really inspires me, but they do so much on videos and for sell that I am either shopping or watching instead of crafting. Besides I am not very good at navigating Facebook and get really frustrated there.

So I hope I get some avid scrapbook and journal makers that want to chat and share.
    Last edited by Linda4atc; 04-01-2019 at 07:16 PM.

2. Likes mwilding liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes ali, chaosatlanta liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man... I am definitely going to follow this thread, because I could use some creative vibes! I love art journaling, and I have the start of a junk journal going on, but its so hard to find the time to get anything done. I also love the swaps and trades here, but what I really want to do is tap into my creativity and do more things just for me. It just takes so long to make cards for the swaps, that I don't have much 'me' time left.
    I follow along with France Papillion's A Layer A Day blog and video, but its hard to just find 5 minutes a day to do a single layer. Add to that, I am trying to build my YouTube channel, so I have find time to edit the videos.

Have I mentioned that I am really great at coming up with excuses? In the time it took to type this, I could have had a layer done already. (Not count the time it takes to clean my table from yesterday's project and then to dig up stuff for today's project.)

6. Likes Bunnymther liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay here is where I am, I am a now a grandma, so I really need to scrapbook some pics. One of my sons foster daughters has left so I want to do a small journal as gift for my DIL with photos and place for her to put some memories. It will be Disney Frozen theme because that is what the child loved.

On Facebook/etsy I found the most awesome digital journal kits. So far I have purchase 4 from CalicoCollage.com

Hollowed Gothic, Hollowed Felines Halloween themes for me
    Far East Charm a gift for my Sister-in-law
    and I forget the name of the fourth one. I am not going to print that until I get some others made.

I know also eventually I will probably do a Harry Potter and Owls book for for Becki my daughter-n-law

And I plan to do a Steampunk book for myself or my husband after some these others are done.
    These are all links if you click them...
    ~ JOURNAL CHAT(and scrapbook) ~
    Hosting ~ Oriental ATC SWAP ~ Due April 24
    MY AVAILABLES ATCs I may also have available ATCoins
    looking for unaltered Q of hearts playing cards

8. Likes mwilding, BluSkyHare, ali liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now that I have made my excuses for me, ....did you find it hard to make a junk journal? My problem is that I have a ton of scrapbook paper, but I never know what to do with it once I've compiled it. I have this weird fear of messing it up. The one junk journal I have done things with is actually a travel journal book, and I've just glued photo and memories onto the paper. Its not actually 'junkie'.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I actually am not that into junkie. I got all excited years back when i first heard about Junk journals. The oneas that I started were in Composition books. The only one I did very much with was my Halloween one. But I'm not excited about it. I cut the couple pages of stuff I put in the Steampunk one and will use that in a new journal.

What I love and think they should really be called is Mixed Media Art journals. I have a couple art journals I draw and paint in. But the ones I collage in didn't get much attention. I think making these with signatures of cool papers and lovely mixed media art pages in them and lots of pockets and tuck spaces. Then I can keep a lovely book and still give me lots of palaces to add my ephemera.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really want to learn how to paint better, so I bought a mixed media journal with the intent of following Angela Anderson's acrylic videos. Time is still an issue, though, but I *have* been trying to draw and paint more for the swaps I join. Baby steps...then I can go work in a bigger journal. (That's what I tell myself at least.)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on junk/art journals for over a year for just myself. I don't really go by themes just whatever I feel like doing at the time. I do mostly collage, I tried before to paint but was never satisfied with the way they look. I do all my drawing in just sketchbooks.

I will be willing to follow this thread also.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had shared some of my pages several months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Likes BluSkyHare, Theresagram liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fox glove feel free to share if you want.

Robin, I think the point of these is to do what makes you happy. I have a watercolor journal but it only has has a half dozen pages. I have filled a couple of sketch journals. But I have a big spiral bound mixed media journal I wanted to do art journaling in. It has paints, inks, stamping, collage and photos on two page spreads without a theme. But I really don't feel inspired to do much with it. That is just me. I can't see your pages because they are so small, but if you have personal journaling that is a good thing. Feel free to share when ever you want.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been journaling a lot in the last year or so and loving it! I fill one journal at a time, front to back, without any expectations that it will be pretty or neat or sensible or have any kind of theme. I like my journals to be a record of my life, so all the pages are different, and some of them are pretty personal/private. There are collages, traditional journal pages, watercolor paintings, sketches, watercolor swatches, tickets/photos/brochures/ephemera, etc. Sometimes I journal every day, and sometimes I skip weeks at a time. Some pages are pretty enough for Instagram. Some...not so much. I'll share a few here once I get some good light (it's 9pm in NY right now).

For me, it's valuable to not hold myself to a particular standard or expectation of an outcome (even something as simple as making a mark in it every day), because I can get scared of screwing it up and not do it at all, or I can miss a day and then not go back to it for months.
    Instagram
    Now hosting Cut Paper Art
    Im not doing personal trades right now, but I have some available cards in my gallery.

17. Likes mwilding, ali liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've recently started art journaling. I've made a few books, but haven't used them. I have a TON of stuff filling a cart, with the intention of turning it into junk journals. I can't stop seeing a purpose for every scrap piece of paper I find. I am working on art journaling on loose pages and am going to bind them when I'm done. My problem is that I can't decide how many I should do. I've also been trying to follow the prompts of Art Joy of Sharing's Pick A Stick challenge. I'm behind because I didn't have any space to work, so I need to still do the prompts for march. I've been sharing my pages on my blog.
    Now hosting: Monochromatic Coin Series: Orange and Red

Available ATCs and Coins

19. Likes mwilding, ali liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So here's a few pages from my junk journal. (These are from years ago.) The first pic shows that this is just a regular travel journal...it's not made from scrap pages like a real junk journal would be. In the first picture journaled and added pictures - on the photos of the poppies, I glued to a tag and cut the edges off of it.
    For the second photo, I made a little book and added photos and memory journaling. The third photo shows the tuck-away spot for the little book and a post card for the area we went to.

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg Slide3.jpg

Edited to add that I don't know why I have an extra photo in this post.

21. Likes ali liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see the art that is being posted! It inspires me.

I have some Smashbooks I collected when they were popular and I want to fill a few of them for a few friends that turned 50 with me last year. My plan is to use old pictures I've scanned so I can print and then also include some new ones from the party we had. I'll leave some pages blank so that they can add to them. So far I've been big on idea and slow on action.
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

23. Likes mwilding liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KESagers View Post
    So far I've been big on idea and slow on action.
    That about sums it up for me, too!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kristin,

That sounds great Prex, you can link your blog if you wish. I don't always go to blog links though. My internet loads pages so slow. I don't know what the recommend page count is for a signature. I know if it's too thick the outside pages end smaller than the inside pages because they wrap over the bulk.

CreativeSquirrel only the last year? Sounds like you have done a lot! I know a lot of people are really into the record keeping and journal part of journals. But for my words are not a strong point. LOL I have several scrapbook pages done except for the journaling. But What I am really wanting to do is be creative, Have place to use/collect things like the notes and cards I have saved from family and trades. Probably will wish I had saved more. I have even printed out several of pms with Nancy to tuck somewhere in one of my journals. I have saved receipts and tickets from time to time and now I will have a place for them to. So my journals will have some but probably not much "junk" in the making but the ones I keep will get filled with it. That is not to say I won't use book pages and other recycled stuff to help create layers to my work.

This is a flip through of a journal made with the far east printable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1FVTPriRiI and this is the Video that really hooked me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-7A-j-fPg the Hallowed Gothic Journal. But of course my books will have many of the same elements but many of my own. And I will copy some ideas like the two pages with skull in the center, and hidden pockets made with the a second copy of the same page on top. (already played some with that page). And another video I saw used an embossing folder I have to make the cover and I may copy that.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, I have been wanting to art journal for a long time & I have all of the supplies a girl could possibly want & all kinds of journals but I am soooo afraid of making a "mistake" that I intimidate myself into not being able to get started. One of my big goals is to make a favorite quotes journal. I think that if I try to concentrate on just one journal at a time instead of wanting to make several at a time I might do better. There are some cool journal swaps on Swap Bot that I'd love to do but I am just plain out flat afraid!! I want to see what other people are making but am afraid of disappointing other people with my art work. I can't draw or paint & a lot of other people do so I feel like I am "behind" everyone else..... Does that make sense?
    Technique: Shaving Cream due date 6/13
    Men With Wings due 7/8
    BINGO! due 7/12
    Wild Wild West due 7/19

27. Likes ali, Theresagram liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can totally relate ferretgirl. Getting myself to start is the hardest part and I don't draw or paint either. Your art is wonderful and I always enjoy it. If I was part of a journal swap I would be happy to get your art!
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

29. Thanks ferretgirl thanked this post
    Likes ferretgirl liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, just do it, ferretgirl! No one's going to see it but you, unless you want them to! Make something ugly on purpose, then know that it's already imperfect, so you can't screw it up!

So here are a few examples of my pages. These are the ones I'm proud of:
    46800180024_5992752dc0_o.jpg47471231492_8443932633_o.jpg
    47471223212_568098bf73_o.jpg32581468607_112be5d56f_o.jpg

edited to add: I can't get rid of that attached thumbnail, but it was supposed to be part of my second post.
    Instagram
    Im not doing personal trades right now, but I have some available cards in my gallery.

31. Likes ferretgirl, mwilding, chaosatlanta liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And here are a few I'm...not so proud of. But I'm sacrificing my pride on the alter of encouragement.

33647061678_50c76c359b_o.jpg40557875893_e1efabf7ce_o.jpg32581427987_6ba73a7700_o.jpg47523869771_6bde569fd0_o.jpg

Y'all, that second one looks good, but I SPELLED MY OWN USERNAME WRONG. Facepalm. I even had to label the blind contour drawings so my future self would know what in the world they were supposed to be. The other two are just photos of what I was saying earlier: it doesn't have to be complicated. It can be a list. It can be a few things you picked up during the day glued down. It'll end up just being a part of the whole in the end.
    Last edited by CreativeSquirrel; 04-02-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Instagram

33. Likes prex79, ferretgirl, mwilding liked this post