A Pirate's Life for Me, Due June 21, 2019

A good pirate ship had good officers:

A pirate ship was more than a boatload of thieves, killers, and rascals. A good ship was a well-run machine, with officers and a clear division of labor. The captain decided where to go and when, and which enemy ships to attack. He also had absolute command during battle. The quartermaster oversaw the ship’s operation and divided up the loot. There were other positions, including boatswain, carpenter, cooper, gunner, and navigator. Success as a pirate ship depended on these men carrying out their tasks efficiently and supervising the men under their command.

WHAT! How could I not have immediately added you? My apologies, dear nanvan! I know we don't want to miss out on your wonderful cards!

I'm adding you now...for real this time!

I love those, nanvan! Especially enjoyed "Adventure awaits you"... it made me think of a recruitment poster and some young, naive fresh-out-of-college guy or gal seeing it and thinking, "I think I'll try that!"

Here's hoping! I'm sure there won't be a problem, but I've had a set floating around for five weeks for a swap that have missed the deadline now! So sad to think I might not get to play. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive! :)

I have decided to stop lurking and join the swap - sign me up please. My cards are in the mail as I type.
The first shows what makes a pirate a pirate, the second shows a ghost ship, the third is the pirate and the last is his treasure map.
So much fun burning the treasure map!! :jiggy:

Sorry to see you go Onaki and Mrs. Alderman.

I do understand about the lack of inspiration. I've been trying to complete two swaps and I just find myself starting over again and again. Hopefully I'll find you in another one of my swaps! :)

I was cleaning out my sticker drawers. and found the cutest pirate 3 d embellishment like stickers. I probably got them at the Dollar Tree store. Not that they were good or perfect for this swap but they sure were cute. Guess that is why I bought them.

Nanvan, your wonderful cards also came today! I appreciate the extra! We've got some great cards for this swap guys! It's so much fun!

(I also love the skeleton tape you used!)

Piracy Was Better Than the Alternatives

Were pirates desperate men who could not find honest work? Not always: many pirates chose the life, and whenever a pirate stopped a merchant ship, it was not uncommon for a handful of merchant crewmen to join the pirates. This was because “honest” work at sea consisted of either merchant or military service, both of which featured abominable conditions. Sailors were underpaid, routinely cheated of their wages, beaten at the slightest provocation and often forced to serve. It should surprise no one that many would willingly choose the more humane and democratic life on board a pirate vessel.

Back
Top Bottom