Planes, trains and automobiles Due: June 28th

Donnacr

ATC Guru
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Due date: June 28
postage date for non-Australians: June 7th

I live in Australia - mail will NOT reach me quickly! I normally allow 3 weeks when mailing my swaps to anywhere in the world - I suggest you do the same.
cards: 3 for 3
participants: unlimited
media: any and all

​ALL RETURNS MAILED ON JULY 4th

Do you remember the 1987 movie 'Planes, trains and automobiles'? (Don't answer, I know that none of us are THAT old but you may have seen it on re-run or Netflix, etc).
I was looking through my postage stamps, stamps and dies and discovered that I have - planes, trains and automobiles. so I thought that it might be fun to make 3 cards - 1 showing a PLANE, 1 with a TRAIN and the 3rd showing an AUTOMOBILE.

These do not have to be modern versions.
Your PLANE could be: a bi-plane, a jet, a fighter plane, an air liner, a sea plane, etc
Your TRAIN could be: a steam train, a super high speed bullet train, a passenger train, a 'red rattler'
images
These were the trains operating on Melbourne lines when I was a child - they were always painted red and they rattled, with windows that didn't always slide down in hot weather or up in cold/wet weather. Not as comfortable as the modern trains but with a LOT more character.
Your AUTOMOBILE could be: any make, any model, any age

Give your mode of transport some background, don't just stick a picture on a white card and call it done. This does not have to be countrysides or airports but make your card interesting.

Due date:
Cards are to be in my hands by June 28th. I will mail your returns to you as soon as possible, but remember, it took up to 3 weeks to reach me so your returns may take up to 3 weeks to reach you. Please be on time so others don't have to wait.

Postage:
Australian players:
please include a stamp equivalent to your postage
International players: a well hidden US$1 bill or Global Forever stamp

ALL
players: please include a LARGE address label (AT LEAST 2" X2"). I will provide envelopes.
Please do not send those 3-in-a-row sleeves - they do not fit in the size envelope that Australia Post approves.

1. Do your best work - I plan to swap like-for-like as much as I can. You will probably receive a mix of medias in your returns, regardless of which media you send to me.

2. Clearly write your USERNAME and the SWAP NAME on the back of all your cards (so you can get fun rep points) AND on the back of your mailing envelope. I am running a few swaps and do not want to put your cards with the wrong returns.

3. Please mail early to allow time to reach Australia.

4. An extra card for the swap Host is greatly appreciated but is not required.

5. Embellishments are fine. The completed card needs to fit into a standard pocket and the embellishments need to be securely fastened so they don't fall off during shipping. If it is too bulky it is more than likely that the card will not reach me - either because the envelope has been torn and the card lost, or it is too heavy.

Have fun!

I will give iTrader feedback when I receive your cards and will also update the next post showing that ytour cards have arrived. In return I encourage you to give iTrader Host feedback to me when you receive your swap returns, and Rep points to the artists whose cards you receive. After all, knowing where your cards went is half the fun, I think.

PLAYERS
0. donnacr
1. Suzi - withdrew
2. CastleQueen5 - returned
3. Kar3ll - returned
4. pouringdiva - received
5. Evalila - received
6. VickiZ - returned
7. Ancient Planter - returned
8. ksj1717 - returned

NOTE: for anyone who is interested in playing I intend to include one of my sample cards as a thank you with everyone's returns - if you see one that you would really like please tell me, otherwise it will be totally random.

1_img643.jpg
1_img648.jpg
1_img646.jpg
1_img647.jpg
1_img649.jpg

Last edited:
You can use a postage stamp, a rubber stamp, tissue paper, or anything else that shows a plane, train or automobile.

I am in the middle of making some samples using postage stamps - I have been thinking about this swap for a while and there was a series of US Forever car stamps that I carefully put away. . . now if I can find their hiding place, they will make wonderful cards for this swap.
Australia recently released a series of train stamps so they will come in handy too.

Ok! Let me go through my stack of stamps to see what I have!!

Sign me up please!!

You can use a postage stamp, a rubber stamp, tissue paper, or anything else that shows a plane, train or automobile.

I am in the middle of making some samples using postage stamps - I have been thinking about this swap for a while and there was a series of US Forever car stamps that I carefully put away. . . now if I can find their hiding place, they will make wonderful cards for this swap.
Australia recently released a series of train stamps so they will come in handy too.

I love the theme! I just sorted my used postage stamps a few days ago and included a "transportation" envelope :jiggy: But I will have to lurk for a bit... we're driving to Lake Tahoe on Sunday for a week and I'm getting ready for that. No planes or trains involved, although we do plan to check if the Carson City-Virginia City Railroad is running and try that for the first time in a gazillion years. I doubt it's running yet, tho.

Did I mention my grandfather spent his entire adult life working for Southern Pacific Railroad? He didn't lose his job during the Depression because, as a signal maintainer, he was vital. Only one in his family not to lose his job. :twitcy:

Karr3ll - I have sent you my address, any chance of a quick glimpse at your cards before they are mailed? That is very quick!! :notworthy:

welcome pouringdiva and Evalila

Ancient Planter - great story about your grandfather. Railways would not have been one of the professions that immediately came to mind as being necessary but, once you mention it, it makes perfect sense.
One of my uncles was among the last of the conductors on Australian trains and that was only because he was willing to be away from home for extended periods. We lost conductors on normal train routes much earlier than we did on the interstate routes.
These could be interesting, as for many years, passengers and cargo had to be off loaded and reloaded on a new train at state borders as each state used a different gauge/ rail width. I was a teenager when the first north to south CONTINUOUS journey was possible along the east coast.

Evalila - love your automobile stamp! Thanks for making an extra train card for me - each time I look I prefer a different one :D

Back
Top Bottom