Media
Swap Due Date: July 5, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: July 5, 2019
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

MAGNIFICENT MONARCHS (The Monarch Butterfly), Due July 5, 2019

RETURNS MAILED 7/02

The Monarch Butterfly has been called the King of Butterflies, hence the name "Monarch".
Monarchs migrate, (like birds), going North as far as Canada in their summer migration, and South into Mexico where they over-winter in a special area among the trees when it gets cold.
The good news is, The Monarchs are returning! They have already been sighted as far north as Kansas on their Northern migration path.

Last year there were 97% fewer migrating Monarch butterflies than at their recorded height and 50% less than there were the year before. This was a back to back decline in their overwintering numbers. Part of the problem is less open areas, and fewer milkweed plants growing in parks, roadsides, abandoned fields, and wild areas, particularly along the Monarch Migration route, as they travel from Mexico to Canada, and back again.

The Monarch needs places to rest, feed, and lay eggs at all their rest stops along their migratory route. The increase in people, homes, shopping centers, and asphalt covered parking areas, means less green space to support wild plants, such as milkweed.

MILKWEED PLANT
Have you ever thought about Milkweed plants, sometimes called “Butterfly Weed”, "Butterfly Milkweed" or "Butterfly Flower." The Milkweed plant is the ONLY PLANT upon which the Monarch Butterfly can lay its eggs and raise its young. The Milkweed plant is the ONLY PLANT that the Monarch young can eat. Adult Monarch Butterflies can live off the nectar of any nectar producing flower, or tree sap, or hummingbird sugar water, but the Monarch caterpillars can ONLY consume, digest, and live on the Milkweed plants.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT WE COULD LOSE THE MONARCH MIGRATION IN OUR LIFETIME, so I would like to make more people aware of the beauty of and the need for, Monarch butterflies.

This is NOT a "butterfly" swap. This is specifically a MONARCH BUTTERFLY SWAP (and their life and habitat).
You may wish to make ATCs about Milkweed plants, there are over 140 known species.
.....You could include information on one of the many legends of the Milkweed plant.
You may choose the nectar plants the adult Monarch Butterflies feed on
.....Fall flowers include Zinnias and Nasturtiums in particular
You could focus on the legend and lore of the Monarch Butterfly.
.....There are many superstitions about orange butterflies and Monarch Butterflies.
You could create ATCs of the neighbors and/or rivals of the Monarch Butterfly
......other butterflies such as the Yellow Tiger Swallowtail, who feed on the same nectar plants and who fight Monarchs for territorial rights.

Although I am allowing some flexibility, whatever focus you choose, please send in mostly Monarch (caterpillar or Butterfly) cards, or if sending in cards about flowers or milkweed plants, try to have a Monarch Butterfly on the card as well. Do not try to turn this into a butterfly swap. This is, after all, a swap about Monarchs, although other focus, as well as other butterflies are allowed MINIMALLY.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.
Remember, whatever focus you choose, send in at least one card with a Monarch (caterpillar or Butterfly) on it if sending in 3 cards, or at least two ATCs with a Monarch Butterfly or caterpillar if sending in 6 cards.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be standard atc size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything! We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 21 cent stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by July 5, 2019. Returns will be mailed promptly.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
Magnificent Monarch, Due July 5,2019

*1. ksj1717 -- Cards Received 5/03
*2. CiCiCreates -- -- Cards Received 6/25
*3. Ancient Planter -- -- Cards Received 5/20
*4. Karr311 -- -- Cards Received 5/24
*5. Vicki Z -- -- Cards Received 5/13
rn6. MARRAE -- -- Cards Received 5/25
*7. leydab -- -- Cards Received 6/19
*8. Suzi -- -- Cards Received 6/13
*9. Boots -- -- Cards Received 6/25
10. 3moffday2 -- -- Cards Received 6/25
*//. Deb2015 -- WIHDREW

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
I just put out butterfly scatter seeds in my yard last week. I have no idea if there's any milkweed in the assortment or not. We may have to do a swap about the bees next; they are also in heavy decline. If we lose our pollinators, we all die!

Oops...got a little serious there. This is a great idea. I will be lurking until I be sure I can commit.

I just put out butterfly scatter seeds in my yard last week. I have no idea if there's any milkweed in the assortment or not. We may have to do a swap about the bees next; they are also in heavy decline. If we lose our pollinators, we all die!

Oops...got a little serious there. This is a great idea. I will be lurking until I be sure I can commit.

Congratulations and Kudos to you, ksj1717
You are doing a wonderful job, and thank you, but unfortunately, most of the "butterfly" scatter seeds are packaged for "Pollinators" which means their FLOWERS attract butterflies, bees, hummingbirds, etc. so although you are feeding the adult butterflies, and other pollinators, most packages do NOT include milkweed plants, so the Monarch Butterflies (Adults) are fed, but they have no place to lay their eggs; And the hatched eggs, the caterpillars, have nothing to eat.
Monarch caterpillars exclusively eat milkweed, and will die without food, so one should call the area National Wildlife Federation office to find a variety of milkweed that is native to your area. We all need to plant more milkweed plants -- along our driveways, around our mailboxes, anywhere!!!!

Last edited:
I grew up with Monarchs in Santa Barbara. We'd get them in March as they were migrating back north and, as I got into photography, I'd go out to the eucalyptus groves early in the morning to catch them as they were just waking. Incredible to see thousands of them on the trees, and close-ups of them just spreading their wings!

I want to join this swap, of course, but will lurk for the moment. We head to Lake Tahoe for a week on Sunday and I'm busy getting ready for that. :twitcy:

Have fun at Lake Tahoe.
That sounds AWESOME.
Take lots of pictures......

Hope you can lurk for a bit, and then sign up.
I LOVE your photography, and your ATCs

Let me lurk for the moment. I almost love the Yellow Tiger Swallowtail as much as the Monarch. They are both so beautiful, I didn’t realize they were rivals.

Let me lurk for the moment. I almost love the Yellow Tiger Swallowtail as much as the Monarch. They are both so beautiful, I didn’t realize they were rivals.

It seems to depend on time of year.
In early Spring, when plants are just starting to bloom, everyone seems to be competing with everyone for food. Butterflies, bees, birds.
Later into Summer, our Yellow Tiger Swallowtail take off to the woods, and live among the Oak leaves, while the Monarchs reign in the garden.
Although even then, we see "cat fights" between the Tigers and the Kings (Monarchs) when new flowers bloom.

Lurkers welcome.
Hope you can come back and join the fun.

Last edited:
Want to hear something crazy?

I went to a plant sale this weekend. They handed me a brochure that I put in my bag. I just looked at it and it's called "What You Can Do to Protect Monarch Butterflies". Isn't that uncanny? It must have been a call to arms!

So... go ahead and sign me up, please.

Want to hear something crazy?

I went to a plant sale this weekend. They handed me a brochure that I put in my bag. I just looked at it and it's called "What You Can Do to Protect Monarch Butterflies". Isn't that uncanny? It must have been a call to arms!

So... go ahead and sign me up, please.

Yes, a SIGN, a CALL TO ARMS!!!
Welcome!
You are NUMBER ONE

A couple of years ago, I planted a whole bunch of milkweed plants in my patio garden. Now, they fill the one section of my garden, and it is just lovely, and beneficial too!

Vicki, do you know what kind has the pods with lustrous hair-like fibers in them? I collect silhouettes painted on glass from the 1930s. They were painted, then turned over so the paint was protected, and framed against a background of milkweed. These are very small and delicate little images and so pretty with the milkweed fiber. It’s funny when many eBay sellers try to describe that background. I have seen it called angel hair and even human hair. Maybe I can post a picture of one or two.

Vicki, do you know what kind has the pods with lustrous hair-like fibers in them? I collect silhouettes painted on glass from the 1930s. They were painted, then turned over so the paint was protected, and framed against a background of milkweed. These are very small and delicate little images and so pretty with the milkweed fiber. It’s funny when many eBay sellers try to describe that background. I have seen it called angel hair and even human hair. Maybe I can post a picture of one or two.

The common milkweed has lustrous hair-like fibers in the pod, but the swap milkweed and the spreading milkweed do as well. I think the common milkweed has the softest fibers, but it may be the soil in which the plants grow that creates the difference in pod fibers, not necessarily the plant variety.

The Butterfly Weed does NOT have the pod fibers, but this is NOT a milkweed (Asclepias).
I only have 3 milkweed varieties, and I read somewhere that there are 140 native species in the United States, so I obviously don't know everything.

It would be great if you could post the pictures

Last edited:
My local conservation guy says the swamp milkweed has the best fibers, but he also says he can only get 10% seed germination when he takes groups on field trips to plant milkweed, and I am getting 80% germination with my groups.
But he "scatters the seed parachutes to the wind" because it is cool-looking and dramatic, and I wait for a calm day and have the kids tuck the seeds into the damp weed and grass mats to keep them wet and protected until they sprout, so that may be part of our percentage difference in germination.......:twitcy:

The California Gold Rush began January 24, 1848, and although it started big, the gold quickly ran out. By April of 1851 the late-comers, who saw the wealth of the first gold diggers, were disappointed to find little gold for themselves, so many went to Australia, starting a gold Rush there in approximately April of 1851.

When miners from California migrated to Australia, they took with them their clothes, tents, cooking utensils, blankets, pillows. They were very particular about taking their pillows with them. Soft, mold-able pillows, filled with soft, comfortable milkweed fluff.

As the miners moved, and as they and their possessions aged, pillows were abandoned, fell apart, and the milkweed contents (fluff and seeds) were distributed everywhere the miners searched for gold. Years past and plants grew and multiplied until lush growths of Milkweed plants were followed by reports (first surfacing in 1871) of the Monarch Butterfly, also known in Australia as the Wanderer Butterfly.

Currently the Wanderer Butterfly is quite prevalent in urban areas of the states of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria (rare) and South Australia

I was so inspired by the pamphlet I found, I finished my cards yesterday. I also found a phone number to call and get some free milkweed seeds sent to my home for planting. I had to leave a message, so I don't know if it will actually work, but it's worth a try!

View attachment 206083

Back
Top Bottom