Packing tape transfer Due date: July 12

Donnacr

ATC Guru
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Due date: July 12
postage date for non-Australians: June 21st

I live in Australia - mail will NOT reach me quickly! I normally allow 3 weeks when mailing my swaps to anywhere in the world - I suggest you do the same.

cards: 3 for 3
participants: unlimited
media: any and all, as well as your packing tape transfer

ALL CARDS MAILED ON JULY 24

In VickiZ's recent 'Big cats' swap Spotted Crow made a great card featuring a packing tape transfer of cage bars over a prowling big cat. It reminded me of how much fun this technique is and so the idea for this swap was planted.
I have permission to use her card as a sample here
1_Scan_20190317__4_.jpg

If you have never done this before all you need to do is put 'Packing tape transfer' into an Internet search and you will be inundated. The technique is actually very simple:

1) Select a picture from a magazine or other glossy publication. Most packing tape is only 2" wide - this is not a problem as you can overlap the edges and the join doesn't show in the finished piece. (this is what I have done in ALL my examples below).
2) Your picture will jump when you apply the packing tape (static electricity) - you can either rub the picture with an anti-static bag (like when you are using embossing powders) or be very, very careful with your first piece of tape. This piece will then hold your picture down while you put the 2nd piece of tape on.
3) Now for the VERY important step:​ using a bone scorer/thumbnail rub very well over the entire picture. Do this from a couple of different directions to make sure that the ENTIRE picture is now firmly attached to the tape.
It is easy to see when the dark sections of your picture have adhered but not as easy to see if there are a lot of light areas.
4) Now put your picture to soak in a container of water.
Some of the examples that I watched said that warm water worked better but I didn't find that it made any difference - experiment for yourself.
5) This is the messy bit of magic. Using the ball of your thumb or finger gently rub the wet paper away from the tape - do not use your nail as it will scrape off the picture you want to leave behind.

Amazingly, you will find that there is still some stickiness left to the back of the tape.

Now complete an ATC using your transferred image as the main image or as an extra to that image.

Due date:
Cards are to be in my hands by July 12. I will mail your returns as soon as possible, but remember, it took up to 3 weeks to reach me so your returns may take up to 3 weeks to reach you. Please be on time so others don't have to wait.

Postage:
Australian players: please include a stamp equivalent to your postage
International players: a well hidden US $1 bill

ALL players please include a LARGE address label (AT LEAST 2" X2"). I will provide envelopes.
Please do NOT send those 3-in-a-row sleeves - they do not fit in my envelopes.

1. Do your best work - I plan to swap like-for-like as much as I can.

2. Clearly write your USERNAME and the SWAP NAME on the back of all your cards (so you can get fun rep points) and on the back of your mailing envelope. I am running a few swaps and do not want to put you with the wrong returns.

3. Please mail early to allow time to reach Australia.

4. An extra card for the swap Host is greatly appreciated but is not required.

5. Embellishments are fine. The completed card needs to fit into a standard pocket and the embellishments need to be securely fastened so they don't fall off during shipping. If it is too bulky it is more than likely that the card may not reach me - either because the envelope has been torn and the card lost, or it is too heavy.

6. Have fun!

I will give iTrader feedback when I receive your cards and will also update this post showing that your cards have arrived. In return I encourage you to give iTrader Host feedback to me when you receive your swap returns, and Rep points to the artists whose cards you receive. After all, knowing where your cards went is half the fun I think.

PLAYERS
0. donnacr
1. leydab - returned
2. prex79 - withdrew
3. Essy - returned
4. dithespy - returned
5. mwilding - returned
6. kehlenn - received
7. Nataliee - withdrawn
8. suzyq - returned
9. Lorna - returned
10. mcgillisj - found their way home

NOTE: for anyone who is interested in playing I intend to include one of my sample cards as a thank you with everyone's returns - if you see one that you would really like please tell me, otherwise it will be totally random.

Last edited:
I'm trying to step back from swaps for a while, but this is definitely tempting. I love the look of transfers. I'm lurking until I know I can get something mailed in time.

On my first experiment, when I went to retrieve the tape from the water bath, the image had literally fallen off of! I didn’t need to rub it off or anything! So it is looking very promising! Still, I want to work on the cards a bit before committing;)

Lurkers are very welcome - beware, this technique is addictive. You will start looking at magazine ads and articles in a whole new way.
Suzi - that DOES sound promising. Did you use warm or cold water?
I normally end up with a bit of a mess but rubbing off the backing paper is good to do while watching a movie or a sports match on the TV.

welcome to the first of our players - leydab.​ If you have any questions feel free to ask wither in the thread or send me a PM.

I've been doing gel medium transfers, and I find it easiest to wipe away the paper with my baby wipes. The wipes I buy aren't soapy or super wet, and it saves my fingertips :)

And I've decided to commit. I can get them done in time. And I can't mail them past the deadline, since I'll be on a plane that day.

I love packing tape transfers!! They are so cool! Count me in please.
Do images solely have to be from magazines?

I think you can also do this with laser printed images - I have one or two that I'd started for another swap (and never finished) that were done that way. So yeah, I'll lurk for a bit til I can get a set completed.

strivaria - you are absolutely correct that this technique will work with laser printers but don't try it with ink jet printers as you just end up with colour running everywhere in a soggy mess.
I hope that you manage to complete your set and join us
Essy - your images can come from anything that will transfer. All of my images so far have come from my cross-stitch catalogues
I have found that a glossy finish to your starting image seems to help them transfer. I am going to try some newsprint transfer tomorrow - I will be back with my results.
aginghippychic - lurkers are always welcome. Have fun experimenting.

welcome prex79​ - that is a pretty impressive reason for on time mailing. I hope that you are going somewhere interesting or is it work?

We are going on our delayed "honeymoon" to NZ. I wish we could've gone sooner in the year, but our vacations are dictated by the school schedule. We have no travel time choice until we retire.

Lurkers are very welcome - beware, this technique is addictive. You will start looking at magazine ads and articles in a whole new way.
Suzi - that DOES sound promising. Did you use warm or cold water?
I normally end up with a bit of a mess but rubbing off the backing paper is good to do while watching a movie or a sports match on the TV.

welcome to the first of our players - leydab.​ If you have any questions feel free to ask wither in the thread or send me a PM.

I just used cold water. I let it soak for a long time, that could have made the difference. Could have been the paper though too. I tested with the cover from an Avon brochure. I will be doing more experimenting soon.

Back
Top Bottom