Ancient Mesopotamia, July 15th

Leydab -your cards have arrived! Thanks for the extra. Love them. All are good - particularly like the scorpion man is very cool!

Here is my last card - the Burney Relief
1_20190530_222442-905x1265.jpg

I went with the colors associated with the Relief when the British did an analysis of the paint. So who is this? Not that I really know, but I like the British museum supposition that it is Ereshkigal, ruler of the underworld. The Wikipedia article on the Burney Relief gives more detail. Versions of the Ereshkigal story are reminiscent of later Greco-Roman beliefs.

well, I have been working on my cards all this week, I thought I had signed up earlier, but no..... so anyway I have my final card finished. I took inspiration from: Cuniform, Enkidu, and the sumerian votive figures. I used various media and cardstock

I did a wood/metal sculpture based on Enkidu ages ago, nice to visit the story again :)

SumerianATCweb.jpg

Went to a museum sale and got an old atlas of ancient Mesopotamia with great maps for $2. Cheap enough to cut up. They had a coffee table book with gorgeous color plates but it was $15, over my limit to use as art supplies, also too nice to cut up. I thunk you all will be seeing some map backgrounds!

Went to a museum sale and got an old atlas of ancient Mesopotamia with great maps for $2. Cheap enough to cut up. They had a coffee table book with gorgeous color plates but it was $15, over my limit to use as art supplies, also too nice to cut up. I thunk you all will be seeing some map backgrounds!

OMG, Betsyg! You went to the Brunnier, didn't you? I interned there, and miss it! I saw on their FB page that they were having the antique sale. :)

Yes, the Brunnier! There was some really nice stuff, lots of framed art including a lot of posters, my husband bought some just for the frames as the posters were a bit faded. They had china and furniture and lots of fabric and surplus t shirts with campus designs. I bought about 2 yards of an oriental print, some late 1960's clothing patterns and a number of old magazines and books. The real surprise was the clothing, it wasn't theater costumes but totally unused. There was some interesting pieces. My daughter almost bought a dirndl, complete with apron but it didn't fit. I encouraged a slim woman to buy a gray wool knit dress with a belt, straight out of Mad Men. Ames is looking its best right now, everything is blooming!

Yes, the Brunnier! There was some really nice stuff, lots of framed art including a lot of posters, my husband bought some just for the frames as the posters were a bit faded. They had china and furniture and lots of fabric and surplus t shirts with campus designs. I bought about 2 yards of an oriental print, some late 1960's clothing patterns and a number of old magazines and books. The real surprise was the clothing, it wasn't theater costumes but totally unused. There was some interesting pieces. My daughter almost bought a dirndl, complete with apron but it didn't fit. I encouraged a slim woman to buy a gray wool knit dress with a belt, straight out of Mad Men. Ames is looking its best right now, everything is blooming!

Sounds like a fantastic sale! Wish I could have seen it all! :)

Still looking for information on winged beings. Thought this was interesting from the University of Rochester:

The wings and the two-horned helmet worn by the figure, called a Genius, are attributes of his divinity. That he is a protective deity is implied by his gesture toward the tree form, which suggests the care of a farmer for planted crops. The palmettes of a tree behind the figure's right foot separated this figure from a similar one, now in the Vatican Museum in Rome, facing in the opposite direction.

The motif of tending to these tree forms appears on many of the more than 315 Assyrian reliefs in collections outside of Nimrud, and is believed to represent an act that was part of ritual ceremonies. While such ceremonies remain unexplained, their frequent representation in palace reliefs suggests their importance to Assyrian court life.

Apkallu - Fish sage! These are so interesting. They are sages that are part man, part fish. They have fish heads -kinda! More like a fish hat while still rockin' those great Assyrian beards. They were said to be bringing knowledge to humans.

The underworld demon god Pazuzu, king of the evil wind demons, was the god that possessed the little girl (Linda Blair) in the Exorcist movies. But interestingly, he was also the counter to an even more evil goddess Lamastu. They've found amulets of Pazuzu which were frequently in homes or worn by pregnant women.

Back
Top Bottom