Addicted to ATCs
Media
Swap Due Date: July 26, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: July 26, 2019
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: MULTI MEDIA -- Any and all media and techniques are welcome
HISTORIC ADVENTURES, Due July 26, 2019

Have you planned your summer vacation yet?
How many of you plan your vacations around historical events?
Do you go to Utah to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the completed transcontinental railroad, or do you walk the battlefields of the Civil War? Do you summer in San Diego to kayak the La Jolla, 75 million old, sandstone caves, where there is currently an archaeological dig, or do you wait until the dead of winter to travel to Lake Superior, to walk across a frozen lake, to gaze in awe at the sandstone cliffs of the Apostle Island ice caves and learn the history of the early people? Do you dream of Medieval Castles in Europe or do you visit the local Renaissance Fair? Do you hunt for unique or historical teapots or do you go to old west ghost towns to look for ghosts? Do you travel to see the country, or to observe unique plants and/or animals? Do you winter vacation to spend holidays with relatives, or participate in annual celebrations?

Whatever your vacation adventures are, record them in ATCs.
Historical Adventures are fun, but any vacation, depicted in an ATC, is welcome

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.
This Historical Adventures Swap is to combine historical events with adventurous holidays - If you have actually had a family holiday at any of your ATC card themes, even better!

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome.
Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work --- something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR additional postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy.

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 1 "Forever" stamp. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by July 26, 2019. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants:
HISTORIC ADVENTURES, Due July 26, 2019

1. Ancient Planter - Cards Received 6/19
*/. Allegrae - WITHDREW
*2. leydab - Cards Received 6/14
*3. donnacr - Cards Received 7/30 * AUSTRALIA
*4. CastleQueen5 - Cards Received 7/11
*5. Sandy - Cards Received 7/11
*6. Betsyg - Cards mistakenly mis-routed by post office and returned to sender
*7. Vicki Z - Cards Received 6/13
*8. Boots - Cards Received 6/13

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Lurking! I have a bag full of brochures, napkins, maps etc etc that i have picked up on trips thinking to make commemorative cards.

Welcome leydab and donnacr.
I signed up both of you.

This group should be creating some unique historical ATCs.

For those of you who do not believe in birth control, please ignore this post.

View attachment 207102
Modern Birth Control
.....Gelato Background
.....Stamped Image
.....Magazine Quote from a Birth Control Advertisement

Birth Control has been recorded in Ancient Egypt, where rubbing crocodile dung on your cervix was considered effective.
The Greeks and Romans used a mixture of honey, acacia leaves, and lint. Oddly, the acacia plant has natural spermatocidal qualities so it actually worked.
The pioneers used family herbal teas and other concoctions, and the prostitutes used sponges soaked in vinegar and vaginal glow sticks.
During the 16th century condoms were invented and popularized (everything from banana skins to animal intestines to a fur-lined variety that met with overwhelmingly negative reviews.)
Aren't we glad for modern one-a-day pills invented in the 20th century (1950's - 1960's)

Last edited:
VAGINAL GLOW STICKS!?!?! I actually first read that as vaginal GLUE sticks! Yikes!!

Donnacr - I look forward to seeing some Australian historic events!!

I got busy on this one and painted some of my photos from our vacations:

View attachment 207103 - Witch House, Salem MA

View attachment 207104 - 150th Anniversary, Gettysburg PA (Alan was on the field in this one :jiggy:)

View attachment 207105 - Samuel Clemens Home, Hartford CT (it's haunted, but the guide told me the ghosts were always kind with her. She thinks it's Sam's daughter or wife)

View attachment 207106 - Bletchley Park, England

I hope these are what you're thinking of for "Historical Adventures" Vicki!

VAGINAL GLOW STICKS!?!?! I actually first read that as vaginal GLUE sticks! Yikes!!

Donnacr - I look forward to seeing some Australian historic events!!

I got busy on this one and painted some of my photos from our vacations:

I hope these are what you're thinking of for "Historical Adventures" Vicki!

Your cards, are AWESOME, as always, and exactly PERFECT.
LOVE the Salem House
Gettysberg is spectacular.
Your Samuel Clemmens Home is wonderful, with chimneys, towers, porch arches and everyting.
Bletchley Park is beautiful.
Your vacations are always so interesting, more people should go on those kinds of vacations!!!!!

"Vaginal GLUE sticks." ?????
Yup, that would DEFINITELY prevent pregnancy!

For those of you who do not believe in birth control, please ignore this post.

View attachment 207102
Modern Birth Control
.....Gelato Background
.....Stamped Image
.....Magazine Quote from a Birth Control Advertisement

Birth Control has been recorded in Ancient Egypt, where rubbing crocodile dung on your cervix was considered effective.
The Greeks and Romans used a mixture of honey, acacia leaves, and lint. Oddly, the acacia plant has natural spermatocidal qualities so it actually worked.
The pioneers used family herbal teas and other concoctions, and the prostitutes used sponges soaked in vinegar and vaginal glow sticks.
During the 16th century condoms were invented and popularized (everything from banana skins to animal intestines to a fur-lined variety that met with overwhelmingly negative reviews.)
Aren't we glad for modern one-a-day pills invented in the 20th century (1950's - 1960's)

DO you think this worked because no man would get near the smelly area? And the ladies probably got a bad infection sticking Dung up there. Just saying.

Vacations are a GREAT way to learn history, as well as geography!!!!
And you can create ART!

HISTORIC ADVENTURES

View attachment 207092
150th Anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad
The First Transcontinental Railroad (known originally as the "Pacific Railroad" and later as the "Overland Route") was a 1,912-mile (3,077 km) continuous railroad line constructed between 1863 and 1869 that connected the existing eastern U.S. rail network at Omaha, Nebraska/Council Bluffs, Iowa with the Pacific coast.
This year, 2019, is the 150 anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. In 1869, the presidents of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met in Promontory, Utah, to drive a ceremonial last spike (a golden spike) into the rail line that connects their two railroads. This made transcontinental railroad travel possible for the first time in U.S. history.