HISTORICAL ADVENTURES, Due July 26, 2019

You mentioned the chimneys on the Clemens home, and I had to go and check - yup, forgot to include all the chimneys on the buildings at Bletchley! That was one of the reasons I took the photo - fascinated with all the chimneys and architecture! So that one's been changed slightly to add the chimneys and put a little more paint here and there. :twitcy: And instead of mailing copies of the original photos along with them, I'll just go ahead and post the photos here, if you don't mind. If you do mind, let me know and I'll remove them :eek:

View attachment 207109

View attachment 207110

View attachment 207111

View attachment 207112 - That's Alan in the blue coat. Visiting Bletchley was part of the Road Scholar trip we were on: A History of Spying, concentrating mostly on WWII. I can't remember the guy's name who led it, Nigel something. He's a rather famous author of WWII spy novels and a former MP in England.

Most of our vacations have something to do with history somehow. Just call us history nerds.

You mentioned the chimneys on the Clemens home, and I had to go and check - yup, forgot to include all the chimneys on the buildings at Bletchley! That was one of the reasons I took the photo - fascinated with all the chimneys and architecture! So that one's been changed slightly to add the chimneys and put a little more paint here and there. :twitcy: And instead of mailing copies of the original photos along with them, I'll just go ahead and post the photos here, if you don't mind. If you do mind, let me know and I'll remove them :eek:

View attachment 207109

View attachment 207110

View attachment 207111

View attachment 207112 - That's Alan in the blue coat. Visiting Bletchley was part of the Road Scholar trip we were on: A History of Spying, concentrating mostly on WWII. I can't remember the guy's name who led it, Nigel something. He's a rather famous author of WWII spy novels and a former MP in England.

Most of our vacations have something to do with history somehow. Just call us history nerds.

I like those chimneys too!!!

Instead of mailing copies of the original photos along with them, I'll just go ahead and post the photos here, if you don't mind.
If you do mind, let me know and I'll remove them :eek:

DO NOT REMOVE THE PHOTOS
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM,
And I know others would like to see how you created your wonderful watercolors from your phenomenal photography

Last edited:
Love your Leif Erikson, Vicki! I had a history prof. in college who was Norwegian decent and he was adamant about teaching us that Leif was the first European to set foot here, NOT Columbus. I don't remember anything else about his class, but I do remember him standing in front of us and being practically angry about Columbus getting the fame over "discovering" America.

Love your Leif Erikson, Vicki! I had a history prof. in college who was Norwegian decent and he was adamant about teaching us that Leif was the first European to set foot here, NOT Columbus. I don't remember anything else about his class, but I do remember him standing in front of us and being practically angry about Columbus getting the fame over "discovering" America.

Thanks.
I apparently had a similar teacher, because I got the same lecture, and never forgot it.

Oddly, this is NOT a new concept.
There was a 1874 book called "America Not Discovered by Columbus" by Norwegian-American Rasmus B. Anderson that presented the idea that vikings were the first Europeans in the New World. Also, this concept was all but verified as true in 1960. But history is difficult to change, especially when one has to re-write the history books.

I found a postage stamp, a very old one with Old Faithful on it. That is a fun place to visit. Yellowstone.

LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT OLD FAITHFUL
Old Faithful was the first named geyser in Yellowstone.
Despite popular belief, the geyser doesn’t erupt every hour on the hour. It currently erupts every 91 minutes on average.
You can download an app that gives you the approximate time of Old Faithful’s next eruption.
In the early days of the park, people sometimes used the geyser to wash their clothes. Explorers and other visitors would throw their clothes into the geyser between eruptions and wait for them to be shot back out, thoroughly clean. According to reports, woolen garments did not fare well, but other types of fabrics seemed to do just fine.
The water that erupts from Old Faithful has been measured at 204° F while the temperature of escaping steam can be hotter than 350° F.

I keep painting more and more "historic adventures" that we've had over the last few years... I believe I've got 10 done now. Will have to choose which to send for the swap :twitcy: In the meantime, here are the latest:

View attachment 207352 - Seattle's Space Needle... the Jetson's home was modeled on this! Built for the 1962 World's Fair.

View attachment 207353 - Old Slave Block, Sharpsburg, MD. Supposedly used as a slave auction block, and a landmark at the original location for over 150 years. It's now thought it may have actually been a carriage block for the home that sat on the site now occupied by a gas station.

View attachment 207354 - Sachs Bridge, Gettysburg, PA. The Confederates retreated over this bridge after the battle ended, and many died on the riverbanks nearby, many drowning as the river rose when the rain started. It's haunted and I had my own ghostly experiences here.

View attachment 207355 - Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, MA. You can see his original paintings here, and on the grounds is also his studio.

View attachment 207356 - John Hancock Wharf & Warehouse, York, ME. Briefly owned by Hancock in the 1790s, it's the earliest surviving wharf and warehouse from York's colonial period.

View attachment 207357 - Catherine Blaikley House, Williamsburg, VA. Catherine Kaidyee Blaikley was a midwife in Williamsburg until she died in 1771, and delivered upwards of 3,000 babies. Her husband died in 1736 and Catherine raised their children, supporting herself and them in one of the few occupations open to women at the time. She made a good living and is buried in Bruton Parish Church, which is just about across the street from her house. She's also my 6x great-grandmother.

HISTORIC ADVENTURES

View attachment 207358
The Arc de Triomphe (1806)
Built by Emperor Napoleon I of France
The Arc de Triomphe is recognized around the globe as a major symbol of Parisian pomp and elegance. Started by the Emperor Napoleon I in 1806 to commemorate France's military prowess (and the proud ruler himself), the arch is a 50-meter/164 foot tall decorated arch on the west end of the Champs-Elysées, the city's most iconic avenue, at the juncture known as the Place de l’Etoile (the star), where 12 prestigious avenues radiate out in a semi-circular pattern.
.....Walk under the Arc de Triomphe
......Learn more about the Arc de Triomphe, either on line or in person
.....Trip to France

Trivia:
Many famous victory marches have led past the Arc de Triomphe including the Germans in 1871, the French in 1918, the Germans again in 1940 and the French and the Allies in 1944 and 1945.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I rests beneath the Arc.
The Arc contains the first eternal flame lit in Western Europe since the Vestal Virgins’ fire was extinguished in the year 391. Begun on Armistice Day 1920, it burns in memory of the dead who were never identified in both World War I and World War II.

View attachment 207359

The Opera Garnier in Paris (1875)
First housing the Opera, now home of the Paris Ballet
Seating 2,200 people, the imposing Opera Garnier in Paris—also known as the Palais Garnier or simply the Paris Opera—is an architectural treasure in the neo-baroque style. It is the home of the Paris Ballet. The city's official opera company relocated to the more contemporary Opera Bastille in 1989
.....Go to the Opera
.....Catch a Ballet Performance
.....Learn more about the Opera Garnier, either on line or in person
.....Trip to Paris

Last edited:
View attachment 207379

Colosseum AD 72 - AD 80
Largest Amphitheater ever built, Rome, Italy
The Colosseum is an oval amphitheater in the center of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of travertine, tuff, and brick-faced concrete, it is the largest amphitheater ever built. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72 and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir, Titus.
The Colosseum could hold, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000. It was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine. Each Good Friday the Pope leads a torchlit "Way of the Cross" procession that starts in the area around the Colosseum. In 2018, it was the most popular tourist attraction in the world, with 7.4 million visitors.
.....Research the science of building with mortar and concrete to make a building that lasts for centeries
.....Learn more about the Colosseum, either on line or in person
.....Trip to Rome

Trivia:
Without the use of microphones, amplifiers, or any electrical assistance, sounds reaches every corner of the Italian Colosseum, built 72 - 80 AD

Last edited:
VAGINAL GLOW STICKS!?!?! I actually first read that as vaginal GLUE sticks! Yikes!!

Donnacr - I look forward to seeing some Australian historic events!!

I got busy on this one and painted some of my photos from our vacations:

View attachment 207103 - Witch House, Salem MA

View attachment 207104 - 150th Anniversary, Gettysburg PA (Alan was on the field in this one :jiggy:)

View attachment 207105 - Samuel Clemens Home, Hartford CT (it's haunted, but the guide told me the ghosts were always kind with her. She thinks it's Sam's daughter or wife)

View attachment 207106 - Bletchley Park, England

I hope these are what you're thinking of for "Historical Adventures" Vicki!

These are superb. Especially loving The Witch House, Salem and Bletchley Park.

You really know how to lure me in with Paris atcs. I am highly considering joining. not committed yet but maybe soon.

HISTORIC ADVENTURES

View attachment 207358
The Arc de Triomphe (1806)
Built by Emperor Napoleon I of France
The Arc de Triomphe is recognized around the globe as a major symbol of Parisian pomp and elegance. Started by the Emperor Napoleon I in 1806 to commemorate France's military prowess (and the proud ruler himself), the arch is a 50-meter/164 foot tall decorated arch on the west end of the Champs-Elysées, the city's most iconic avenue, at the juncture known as the Place de l’Etoile (the star), where 12 prestigious avenues radiate out in a semi-circular pattern.
.....Walk under the Arc de Triomphe
......Learn more about the Arc de Triomphe, either on line or in person
.....Trip to France

Trivia:
Many famous victory marches have led past the Arc de Triomphe including the Germans in 1871, the French in 1918, the Germans again in 1940 and the French and the Allies in 1944 and 1945.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I rests beneath the Arc.
The Arc contains the first eternal flame lit in Western Europe since the Vestal Virgins’ fire was extinguished in the year 391. Begun on Armistice Day 1920, it burns in memory of the dead who were never identified in both World War I and World War II.

View attachment 207359

The Opera Garnier in Paris (1875)
First housing the Opera, now home of the Paris Ballet
Seating 2,200 people, the imposing Opera Garnier in Paris—also known as the Palais Garnier or simply the Paris Opera—is an architectural treasure in the neo-baroque style. It is the home of the Paris Ballet. The city's official opera company relocated to the more contemporary Opera Bastille in 1989
.....Go to the Opera
.....Catch a Ballet Performance
.....Learn more about the Opera Garnier, either on line or in person
.....Trip to Paris

Back
Top Bottom