HISTORICAL ADVENTURES, Due July 26, 2019

AWESOME cards received from Ancient Planter
FAB assortment.
LOVE all your cards, and I am envious of your travel vacations.
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

You really know how to lure me in with Paris atcs. I am highly considering joining. not committed yet but maybe soon.

Long time, no see, Monroy28.
Lurkers always welcome.
Hope you can come back and join us.

One of the other players sent in several ATCs about Paris.
But they didn't post them.
I will ask if they would like to post their cards.

View attachment 207780
Loch Ness Monster (Nessie) sighted

In Scottish folklore, the Loch Ness Monster, or Nessie, is a creature said to inhabit Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. The modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on May 2, 1933. The word "monster" was reportedly applied for the first time to the creature on 2 May 1933. ... In 1975, another expedition combined sonar and underwater photography in Loch Ness to determine if Nessie really existed
.....Read about he Loch Ness Monster
.....Visit a lake or river to discover similar legends (the Boto in the Amazon River, the Fish King in Lake Superior, the Giant Serpent in Serpent Lake)
.....Go to Scotland

Last edited:
View attachment 207825
View attachment 207826

Built 1892
Two Harbors Lighthouse

.....19th Century Red Brick Building, Functioning Lighthouse
.....This lighthouse beacon has guided ships into Agate Bay since 1892
.....Oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the north shore
.....Turned into a Bed and Breakfast
.....Actual grounded boat situated in front of the lighthouse on the shore of Lake Superior (which can be visited)
.....Put on a raincoat, visit the boat bow during a wind/rain storm in November
.....Steer your boat during the "Gales of November" and experience what the sailors in Lake Superior went through
.....(Feels incredibly real, even though you know the boat is permanently sunk into a slab of concrete)
....Visit a lighthouse
.....Stay in a lighthours
.....Card shown closed
.....Card shown open

Last edited:
My problem was that I wanted to show too much and couldn't work out how. . . I ended up making little books of sights to see or important events
1_img733.jpg
This is the Welcome Stranger (STILL the biggest gold nugget ever found and part of the Victorian Gold Rush 1851. To enjoy this period you can spend a day, or more, at Sovereign Hill near Bendigo, Victoria. This is a replica town complete with hotel, school, police, sweet shop (fantastic to watch the sweets you are about to eat being made) and more.
The first thumbnail shows: on the left - part of the main street and one of the coach rides available (during school holidays many of the locals dress in period costume and 'populate' the town; on the right - an underground gold mine, showing the original claustrophobic conditions the miners worked in and the basic tools they had to use.
The second thumbnail shows: on the left - school children attending period classes (schools can book a stay at the town and immerse themselves in the period - writing on slates, the cane, no left handers, etc); on the right - panning for gold (there is still some gold to be found but only specks)

1_img736.jpg
ANZAC landing at Anzac Cove/Gallipoli 25 April, 1915. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. This was the first major offensive in which these troops played a part (Australia, as a country, was only 14 years old at the time) and April 25 is now a major, national celebration of all those who have fought for our country.

1_img737.jpg
Port Arthur historical site, Tasmania. These are the ruins of a large penal settlement and now a popular tourist site. You really need at least a full day to wander round and appreciate it all as it was fully self-sufficient for the governor, the guards and the prisoners (both male and female). You can visit the lunatic hospital, solitary confinement (used instead of the whip), the houses of the governor and the soldiers' barracks, the kitchen gardens and so much more. If you are brave enough you can book a room and stay overnight but they guarantee ghosts!
This was also the site of Australia's worst gun massacre on 28 April 1996 which resulted in radically changing our gun laws and a buyback of 700,000 guns.
They have made the refreshment rooms where the killing took place into a memory garden for those
who were killed.
The first thumbnail shows: on the left - some of the guns that were bought back; on the right - the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald for 1 May 1996

1_img739.jpg
Bombing of Darwin, NT 19 Feb 1942. This was the first attack on Darwin by the Japanese, not to invade Australia but to prevent us helping with the war in Timor and New Guinea. The attacks continued until late 1943 when Japan was starting to have to retreat. You can explore the concrete bunkers running between places and the reinforced oil pipes (large enough for an adult to stand up in), the look outs, lots of the artillery is still in place, etc - a great holiday for the family!

PS My cards are in the mail.

Those are great, Donna! My knowledge of Australian history is minimal - I know of Galipoli and the gun buy-back (why, oh why, can't the U.S. wise up and do the same? Oh, right), but very little else. I'd love to take my ghost hunting equipment to Port Arthur and maybe even spend the night :twitcy:

LOVE your cards,Donnacr.

I had heard about the biggest gold nugget, but I don't remember it being called the "Welcome Stranger" That is very cool.
The sweet shop where one can watch sweets being made really appeals to me. We used to have a shop that made and sold salt water taffy, and I would spend sooooo much time watching the taffy pulling machine. But they went out of business..:(...and I don't understand why. I certainly tried to support their business with all the taffy I bought there.:twitcy:

The Port Arthur site, and the Bombing of Darwin, are both fascinating.
I looked them up after your post to get some additional information.

I am constantly amazed at how little I know about a lot of stuff, so thank you for your cards, information, and stimulation to look up, and learn, more about your country.
;)

Last edited:
Ancient Planter - we have actually had 2 national gun buybacks (1996 and 2003) and a state buyback (Victoria in 1988). I can remember my brother getting rid of his rifle in 1988. It was the success of the Victorian one that was leading towards the 1996 buyback, Port Arthur just meant that the legislation went through Parliament easier.
I love doing swaps like this as I find out things about Australia that I was never taught at school - like the bombing of Darwin. I knew that they were bombed but I didn't know that it continued for 18 months, or that a number of towns in the north of Queensland were also bombed.
My baby sister would join you for an overnight stay at Post Arthur in a flash - she is right into all the paranormal and joins ghost tours and 'sleepovers' all around Australia.

Here are my cards, I mailed them today. Top left, Go to the see a Van Gogh painting, in the nederlands. Top right go see the Statue of liberty in NY, Bottom left, Go to a cool museum in Canada, Bottom Right go to Washington DC.

1_historical_adventures.jpg

I think this swap idea is super creative. Sign me up. You know you are getting train cards from me.

Here are my cards, I mailed them today. Top left, Go to the see a Van Gogh painting, in the nederlands. Top right go see the Statue of liberty in NY, Bottom left, Go to a cool museum in Canada, Bottom Right go to Washington DC.

I see you changed your mind.
No train cards in this bunch!
No problem

You have some very cool and interesting postage stamps.
The one on the Canada card is fascinating.....can't wait to see that one up close and in person.
FAB background on the Van Gogh card. Did you paint that? or is that a cool paper?
When I was in New York, I tried to climb up the statue. There are a LOT of steps....puff, puff, pant!
Washington D.C. has so much going on there!

I will watch for your cards and let you know when they arrive.
Thanks for posting.

I could not find ONE cancelled train postage stamp. So I went through my postage stamp, categories and the 4 card, that I made were the final results. I found some stamps in "buildings" some in "land". The stamps were in so many different places/categories, in my stamp organizer.

The Van Gogh green paper was a small square someone sent me, I would say it is like origami paper. I liked the pattern, too. I really like windmills, so I was glad I found that postage stamp to to with it, it seemed nice for the Van Gogh due to theme and color.

I loved how the 3 stamps came together for the Washington DC, but I was looking for those older flag stamps that read, Liberty, Equality etc. I guess I used them all.

The green Canada stamp was very unique to me.

I had to get out a magnifying glass to read all the tiny print on the stamps. I would have thought the stamp on the Canada stamp was from Mongolia, or somewhere in the East. But it was for a museum in Canada, so the green Canadian flag stamp went well with it.

Last edited:
I could not find ONE cancelled train postage stamp. So I went through my postage stamp, categories and the 4 card, that I made were the final results. I found some stamps in "buildings" some in "land". The stamps were in so many different places/categories, in my stamp organizer.

The Van Gogh green paper was a small square someone sent me, I would say it is like origami paper. I liked the pattern, too. I really like windmills, so I was glad I found that postage stamp to to with it, it seemed nice for the Van Gogh due to theme and color.

I loved how the 3 stamps came together for the Washington DC, but I was looking for those older flag stamps that read, Liberty, Equality etc. I guess I used them all.

The green Canada stamp was very unique to me.

I had to get out a magnifying glass to read all the tiny print on the stamps. I would have thought the stamp on the Canada stamp was from Mongolia, or somewhere in the East. But it was for a museum in Canada, so the green Canadian flag stamp went well with it.

Thanks for all the details

Back
Top Bottom