Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a Wrap art doll collaboration

Signup date– WE ARE FULL!
    First Mail Date - June 20th
    Number of participants – six, USA only

It's a Wrap!

Please read carefully. This swap will require a COMMITMENT of time, effort and funds for mailing and supplies. (Using your existing art supply stash is highly encouraged! Art supply hoarders unite!)

For this swap you will be part of an artistic collaboration for a scroll art doll.

You are tasked with supplying a "starter" stump doll. (It does not have to be made entirely of cloth but please consider mailing costs.) Each other artist will make a scroll panel in the theme of your doll on their turn.
    Provide a theme / back story about your doll and a brief list of dos and don't your panels. Try to be as open to artistic interpretation as possible!

The rules:

THERE ARE NO WITHDRAWS!!!!!
    You must adhere to a monthly mailing schedule.
    You must be a member in good standing. No negative or neutral iTrader for 3 months. Positive iTrader of 15+ is required.
    You must, just be willing to commit time and effort to doing your very best work to contribute to a completed doll that will be cherished by it's owner.
    You must send me your name, address, email address and phone number and any other way to contact you that you can think of. I WILL find a way to track you down if you go MIA.
    You must stay active in the thread....post your progress, stop in and say "hi", be social. We will be together here for a while. Let's make it fun and friendly!

Postage & Mailing:

You will need some sort of mailing box that is sturdy enough to survive opening and remailing to subsequent artists. We will decide, as a group, maximum size of dolls/boxes. Sorry it is unlikely that a padded envelope will be sufficient.

Dolls need to be mailed according to the monthly travel plan that will be provided after the group is full.

A. notinkansas
    B. Bluesky
    C. CiCiCreates
    D. theweavershand
    E. art_junkie
    F. Essy
    Last edited by notinkansas; 06-10-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    mailing schedule:

art_junkie: Essy, CiCiCreates, Bluesky, notinkansas, theweavershand

theweavershand: art_junkie, Essy, CiCiCreates, Bluesky, notinkansas

notinkansas: theweavershand, art_junkie, Essy, CiCiCreates, Bluesky

Bluesky: notinkansas, theweavershand, art_junkie, Essy, CiCiCreates

CiCiCreates: Bluesky, notinkansas, theweavershand, art_junkie, Essy

Essy: CiCiCreates, Bluesky, notinkansas, theweavershand, art_junkie

You will mail to the same person every month. (Your "person" is the first one after your user name.)
    Last edited by notinkansas; 06-17-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CiCiCreates:
    THEME - “Millicent’s Art Gallery” - Millicent is my doll’s name, and she runs a successful art gallery. Millicent can be a bit haughty, but she really knows her stuff, as evidenced by your wonderful art in this gallery. For your scroll panel (6”x6”), please create “paintings on the wall”. There can be 2 paintings on your panel or a grouping of more in various sizes.
    DO’s - Please contribute a variety of styles and genres (landscapes, florals, abstracts, etc.) done in fabric markers, colored pencil, and/or acrylic paints (Textile Medium helps). Each painting should include a different attractive frame. Feel free to use my fabric trims as frames, using mostly stitching with minimal glue to reduce bulk. Do miter corners so it looks like a real frame. Just painting a decorative frame on is fine too!
    DON’Ts: No violent or nude subjects. No bulky embellishments, which could make the scroll difficult to roll. Have fun!

NOTE - I will provide panel fabric, and I will attach panels when doll is returned to me.
    Last edited by CiCiCreates; 06-05-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Now Hosting: Swans, Flamingos, and Herons...Oh My! ATC Swap; A Few of my Favorite Things ATC Swap; At the North Pole, Altoid Tin Mail Art Swap

4. Likes notinkansas liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    notinkansas:
    THEME- Bee Creative-
    5"X5" panels.
    Use my fabric as your backing. Other than that pretty much anything goes. Think of my panels as a mixed media chunky page. Fabrics, fibers,beads, paint,ink. Any and/or all are great!
    I will attach all panels when I get the doll back.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for the doll pics, Kelly. I'm still not sure how the "scroll" part works or what that looks like.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Essy:
    Theme: Princess Prim
    Princess Prim has diamonds, but cannot imagine much color or themes beyond her Kingdom of Prim. Show her the beauty in any color or theme, except please no scary, horror, dark, or adult themes as these would give this timid princess a scare. Themes like animals, insects, art, steampunk, whimsical, rustic & prim as you see it, etc...be as eclectic as you wish with your scroll piece. Princess Prim looks forward to wrapping herself up in the scroll made with thoughtfulness and love just for her.

4"x4" panels, I will attach all panels when I get doll back

Do's- Any color and theme, except...
    Don'ts- No scary, horror, dark, or adult themes
    Please feel free to look at the themes on my profile page if you need ideas. Have fun!
    Last edited by Essy; 06-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    http://eclecticworks.blogspot.com/
    All Children are artists. The problem is how to remain an
    artist once he grows up.~Pablo Picasso

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amy...I'll email you.

9. Thanks theweavershand thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    While searching Pinterest for inspiration for this project I came across snippet rolls. Here are a couple of pics of the one I made for myself.
    20190605_195846__1559821716_96274.jpg
    20190605_200515__1559821926_71621.jpg
    20190605_200601__1559822119_23118.jpg

11. Likes theweavershand, CiCiCreates liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is really pretty! I am going to look that up. Thanks for sharing pictures.
    Now Hosting: Swans, Flamingos, and Herons...Oh My! ATC Swap; A Few of my Favorite Things ATC Swap; At the North Pole, Altoid Tin Mail Art Swap

13. Thanks notinkansas thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Millicent's hair is giving me fits! It is red/auburn colored embroidery floss done in a high chignon. Arrange and glue, arrange and glue, etc. I do think it will work though. Then I still have to attach head to torso cylinder piece. QUESTION: Are we supposed to contribute the first panel of our own theme, kind of like an example of our description? Or not, just do the doll itself?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for sending the pattern, Kelly!

I second CiCi's question about doing the first panel ourselves and also have a question about the panels. Do we send the cut panels with the doll and sew them together later or do we make a long scroll, attach it to the doll and have people work on it like that?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally am planning to cut 6” squares for my panels, and send them with my doll, along with extra fabric in case artists want to practice on it with various media. Then I plan to sew them together when they come back to me, then stitch the long scroll piece to the doll torso ( for some reason, I hate calling it a “stump” - lol).

17. Thanks theweavershand thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    so...if the scroll part is separate or being sent as separate panels, is it still necessary to mail the doll with it?

I'm sorry im having such a hard time grasping this concept.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Understandable, theweavershand! A few of us had quite a few PMs back and forth regarding how this might work! It’s a good question, and the only real reason I know of is that both Kelly and I just wanted to see and feel everyone’s doll. Sorry to answer for you, Kelly, but I just happened to be on here when the question was asked.

Bluesky is offline I create therefore I know I am
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having trouble naming my doll. She's done. Panel mostly done...just can't find the name that I go that's her.
    Looking for British ephemera. Open for trading.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still doing the Indian Garden theme? Maybe it could be a name related to that?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a bit confused...I thought we were just sending the doll so each player would get a feel of what they would like to do for their scroll piece for that particular doll. I didn't know we also had to make our scroll piece to send with the doll? I was planning on doing my scroll piece when I received her back along with the scroll pieces from the other players.
    http://eclecticworks.blogspot.com/
    All Children are artists. The problem is how to remain an
    artist once he grows up.~Pablo Picasso

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    can someone post a pic of what they are mailing when they are ready so I can be sure I'm doing this right, please?

24. Likes notinkansas liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Essy View Post
    Just a bit confused...I thought we were just sending the doll so each player would get a feel of what they would like to do for their scroll piece for that particular doll. I didn't know we also had to make our scroll piece to send with the doll? I was planning on doing my scroll piece when I received her back along with the scroll pieces from the other players.
    Yes, I think that was my question in Post #10, and Theweavershand too. I think Bluesky did her own first panel. We’ll have to get Kelly’s answer on this, maybe it’s up to each artist....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....seemed like I was only gone for a minute.....
    We are mailing the doll. I am mailing fabric squares for each player to use as the backing for their panel for my doll. I attached a 'starter' panel to the side seam of my doll. Even tho it's still a WIP I will take a picture of my Bee and post it tomorrow so you all can get a general idea. But the scroll is your preference...separate panels of one long piece where everyone gets a section for arting. Just list of all in your dos and don't s.

That being said, does everyone think they are good with the 15th as a mailing date of do we need to push it back?