Back to School...with a Twist -- Due Sept. 30, 2019

1_pig.jpg

Pig Care & Management

American Superhero Cinema
This course examines the complex ways in which Hollywood has responded to--and reflected on--the social, cultural, and political need for superheroes. The concept of the superhero functions as a structuring idea in American self-understanding and cultural iconography. Originally the stuff of comic books, the superhero has now become associated with the Hollywood blockbuster, a genre in its own right. And yet, much-deserved scholarly and academic interest has only recently caught up with this popular phenomenon in American cinema. How might we make sense of blockbuster superheroes? Are they agents of change, or upholders of the status quo? Are they virtuous or flawed? Are they patriots of the nation, or rather vigilantes distrusting government authority? Are they promoters of the common good, or rather prime exemplars of American individualism? Do they save us from our enemies, or from ourselves? We examine films ranging Superman: The Movie (1978), X-Men (2000), Unbreakable (2000), Spider-Man (2002), V For Vendetta (2005), Iron Man(2008), The Dark Knight (2008), Watchmen (2009) Captain America (2011) X-Men: First Class (2011), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Wonder Woman (2017), and Black Panther (2018).

1_wonder_woman.jpg

Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Garden

Put the welcome mat out for all kinds of "good bugs" to come and stay in your garden! This class follows classic integrated pest management principles that encourage the use of biological control as a means to reduce pests and their damage. Learn how to recognize the most common insects, what flowers and plants attract them and principles of maintaining a year-round insectary. Field work includes a visit to a local beneficial insect demonstration garden.

1_sunflower.jpg

Mail call!

Great cards have arrived from: huddlestonmollie, CarrieSmith84, Mushu, 3moffday2, mim, ksj1717, natalie and ShellyJo. Thanks to those who sent host cards.

Oooh boy, looks like I might be getting my cards back. Crossing my fingers, toes and other unnamed appendages that they arrive today!

No worries! Still waiting on some sets, and then the swapping can begin.

Thanks Allegrae, I know you have your work cut out for you with this one! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: mim
Large stack of envies has arrived! Will update the thread in a bit.

Mail call! Wonderful cards have arrived from Istinkray Ilversay, CastleQueen5, ferretgirl and jenspirko! Thanks to those who sent host cards.

I will go over the batch and make sure I haven't missed anyone. I haven't heard from a few players, so I will contact them to see if they mailed. We're getting close to swapping!

Returns are heading to the post office this weekend. Thanks to everyone who participated! I'll leave iTrader for you when I seal envelopes.

My A+ cards arrived today From : Jenspirko, Pancake Machine & BluSkyHare

Gold stars for our Wonderful Host !

itrader and You Rocks on the way .

Back
Top Bottom