HAUNTED HOUSES - House Shaped ATC Swap, due October 17, 2019

I had a friend who worked as a maid at the Cashtown Inn, a B&B outside of Gettysburg. You can look it up; it’s very famously haunted and there’s even a ghost photo of their front porch. My friend says she saw Civil War soldiers, but there were others who would call to her. It was rather unsettling to her that they knew her name! She finally left there, and the owners sold it because they were tired of dealing with the ghosts. We stayed with them at their “new” B&B, a Civil War era farm and battlefield hospital (as all homes were there after the battle) near Cemetery Ridge. The ghosts at the new place were easier to deal with, they said. Apparently a ghost cat had been seen in the room we stayed in, but we never saw or sensed anything at the house. Sachs Bridge, however, was quite eventful for me!

I have found that ghosts/spirits/trapped entities respond in kind.
A person fearing them will sense fear when encountering them.
A person dreading them, or what (one thinks)they represent, will sense dread upon contact.

To me they were people, old people, depressed people, confused people, dead people.
I only ever had ONE problem with any of the many.....

When I was in my mid teens we lived in a haunted house. We (my mom and 4 kids) never saw them, but we had locked doors become unlocked and a couple times actually open. This disappear only later to show up in a spot already searched. And on a least two unrelated guests staying with us described exactly the same thing. They saw the shadow of a man, not on the wall, walk out of the master bedroom and into the other bedroom. We figured it was probably a dad checking on a mischievous child.

My mom was "a sensitive" of sorts. She never saw our house-ghost but I remember the night we were watching TV and she looked down the hall through the kitchen and turned pale. When we asked her what was wrong she said she just saw Grandpa standing back there holding out both arms like asking for a hug. She called her parents and Grandma said she couldn't talk right then Grandpa had just died! Now two points of interest, mom and Grandpa had not got along for many years and Grandpa lost an arm in a work accident when he was young. So she understood that the "hug" was his way of "mending fences" before moving on.

The reason we moved away from that house was she had the same dream two or three times. The house was on fire, and she was fighting the firemen to get back inside and save us kids. Eventually we learned the house had an electrical fire and burned down.

When I was in my mid teens we lived in a haunted house. We (my mom and 4 kids) never saw them, but we had locked doors become unlocked and a couple times actually open. This disappear only later to show up in a spot already searched. And on a least two unrelated guests staying with us described exactly the same thing. They saw the shadow of a man, not on the wall, walk out of the master bedroom and into the other bedroom. We figured it was probably a dad checking on a mischievous child.

My mom was "a sensitive" of sorts. She never saw our house-ghost but I remember the night we were watching TV and she looked down the hall through the kitchen and turned pale. When we asked her what was wrong she said she just saw Grandpa standing back there holding out both arms like asking for a hug. She called her parents and Grandma said she couldn't talk right then Grandpa had just died! Now two points of interest, mom and Grandpa had not got along for many years and Grandpa lost an arm in a work accident when he was young. So she understood that the "hug" was his way of "mending fences" before moving on.

The reason we moved away from that house was she had the same dream two or three times. The house was on fire, and she was fighting the firemen to get back inside and save us kids. Eventually we learned the house had an electrical fire and burned down.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

The very first swap of these, I had such a fun time creating. I'm going to lurk for now with the hope of finishing some fun spooky houses and join when I have some. So fun reading all the comments re: ghostly things! :)

The very first swap of these, I had such a fun time creating. I'm going to lurk for now with the hope of finishing some fun spooky houses and join when I have some. So fun reading all the comments re: ghostly things! :)

Lurkers always welcome.
Have fun creating and come on back.

It was a dark and stormy night (last night) with Thunderstorms and Tornado warnings.
It dropped 30 degrees when the rain and the wind came in.
Early this morning a heavy fog hung over the trees, hiding shadows, and movements of things among the tree trunks.
The night light was out, so I VERY carefully crept downstairs to change the light bulb and start coffee.
It felt like the house had an EXTRA group of ghosts today

It is almost like Halloween -- in August!!!!!

About 15 years ago, when we lived in Fresno, some friends there lived in a perfectly modern house in a perfectly modern neighborhood. Nothing creepy at all. But the person who owned their house before they bought it - Harry - had had a heart attack and died in the bathtub, and refused to leave the place. Our friends, who always talked to Harry, said that mostly he'd just lock their cats in the closet. I would occasionally go over to feed the cats and clean the litter box when our friends were out of town and was told that if I couldn't find them, just check the closet. Never found them in the closet, but once one was locked in the bathroom. Can't remember if it was Romeo, Juliet, or Oscar, but the cat didn't seem freaked at all, and I assume he or she hadn't been in there long because there were no 'gifts' on the floor that should have been in the litter box.

It is always fascinating to hear other's ghost stories.
Some see ghosts as guardians, or friends, or angels, other people are terrified.
I find that ghosts seem to respond "in kind" to how they are treated/viewed.

I've done ghost research, but I am so prejudiced (toward liking ghosts, trusting ghosts, seeing ghosts as helpers/protectors) that perhaps my "research" is not as accurate as it should be.

Thanks for your story, Ancient Planter.

I also tend to trust them (except when I visit a historic prison - those ghosts I won't trust!) and like them. Remember, I even invited the ghost who was in our house in Washington to come on down and visit us here in Oregon, but she hasn't. I'm sure she wants to stay near her husband back up there.

Happy Friday the 13th everyone.
If your Muse is with you on this auspicious day, try to create some House Shaped Haunted Houses.
You would be surpised at how much FUN they are to make, and they can be quite addictive.

I've got my Windows done and another set of Ghosts, but I want to do another set of the House Shaped Haunted Houses, but my muse seems to be off somewhere. Maybe Friday the 13th is what I need!!

vicki .... me too! i had a great time yesterday in my creative endeavors! did you see the full moon? on friday the 13th!!
your recent houses are terrific!!! the top one is particularly terrific ... i am working on mine as we speak.

I've got my Windows done and another set of Ghosts, but I want to do another set of the House Shaped Haunted Houses, but my muse seems to be off somewhere. Maybe Friday the 13th is what I need!!

colleen, did friday the 13th come through for you? it was either that or the 36+ ounces of iced tea i drank!! still hot here, trying to get the october vibe.

vicki .... me too! i had a great time yesterday in my creative endeavors! did you see the full moon? on friday the 13th!!
your recent houses are terrific!!! the top one is particularly terrific ... i am working on mine as we speak.

I agree.....
The full moon was absolutely SPOOCTACTULAR,.
I figured this full moon must have been one of the "Super Moons", but I was wrong......
According to the Farmer's Almanac, the Weather folk say this full moon was a "MINI"!!
They said this year's harvest moon will occur during the apogee, or the point in the moon's orbit when it's farthest from Earth. As a result, it'll appear 14% smaller than a typical full moon, due to the moon being positioned at the "most shallow angle" possible.
I can hardly believe them. The moon was bright, and big, and stunning.
They further say that the Friday the 13th Full Moon was a rare event, not seen for 30 years and not due to occur again until 2049

Glad your creative endeavors got going.
Can't wait to see your creations.

Back
Top Bottom