Addicted to ATCs
Media
ATC Swap Due Date: October 13, 2019
Signup/Withdraw Date: October 13, 2019
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

Spooky Halloween – Due October 13, 2019

Come in for a spell and enjoy this spirited and spooky swap! Create ATCs that are certain to make things go bump in the night with a wicked color palette of spooky purples, eerie oranges and moonlit blacks. You will have a “spooktacular” good time creating your frightful ATCs (NO APCs allowed) of chilling, fear-inspiring, scary ATCs vampires, witches and monsters. Make no bones about it, you need to sign up NOW....

Halloween is filled with traditions and superstitions, and the night is rampant with a plethora of Halloween critters. In Victorian times, Halloween was more of a PARTY than the solemn/spooky holiday we celebrate today. In older days, Halloween was the traditional time for divination for the coming year, often as games for children. It was the favored time to determine the identity of one's future spouse, the location of one's future home, and how many children a person might have. Seasonal foods such as apples and nuts were often employed. Apples were bobbed. Apples were peeled. Apples were thrown.

As autumn approaches, we see fun, frightful scenes that symbolize Halloween. Look to the stores, the malls, the neighbor's house. With customs and traditions that vary widely by community, Halloween now inspires parades and carnivals, corn mazes, haunted houses, neighborhood and school parties, pumpkin festivals, and even pumpkin catapulting. Halloween remains a much anticipated celebration of the macabre in the face of approaching winter.

Your cards can be spooky, or superstitious. (Cards are due on the 13th!!!!) You can depict witches, warlocks, ghosts, or monsters. You can show skulls, skeletons, Spells and/or Magick. (NOT stage magic). Anything to do with Halloween, as long as it is spooky.
The only thing NOT ALLOWED is cute, kids, or cute kids (dressed up for Halloween).

Additional:
I have been asked about CARDS THAT MOOVE,

Halloween is that eerie, spooky, creepy, time of year, when we tend to see movement out of the corners of our eyes, a time when ghosts and monsters appear behind bushes, and things appear just barely within our sight, and everything seems to shimmer and move.

Many of you already know that cards that lift, slide, spin, pop up, or in any way moove, are my favorite cards. So, since you asked about cards the moove, you are invited to pick your Halloween critter, and make some cards that show moovement.

Think Zombies that shamble, Frankenstein that stomps, spooks that shudder, ghosts that glide, bats that fly, apparitions that flutter, vampires that rise from their coffin. In fact, a coffin lid that opens on a brad, or lifts with a fold-down top are some of the easiest cards to make that still move!!!!!!

You do NOT have to make ATCs that move, but, if you send in a SPOOKY HALLOWEEN CARD that moves, slides, or pops up, I will assure you get back at least one card in return that moves, possibly more than one, depending on how many cards come in.

For anyone confused about "cards that move", I have numerous ATCs in my gallery of cards that spin, fold, move, lift, and pull out. They are labeled as cards that move, but you may have to look for them since they move as I add and delete cards.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread. I will acknowledge you and add your user name to the participant list below.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by October 13, 2019. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, I’ll PM you with my address when you sign up!

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Here are some links to help you get started:

Traditional Halloween Magick With Fruit, grain or seeds, and Nuts:
A popular activity on Halloween in Bobbing for Apples, and a variation of Bobbing for Apples has apples hung on string and mandates that whoever bites the apple first in the group will be the first to marry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbing_for_apples

Fun Divination Games
Girls who placed the apple they bobbed under their pillows are said to dream of their future love.
Apples were peeled, the peel tossed over the shoulder, and its shape examined to see if it formed the first letter of the future spouse's name.
Nuts were roasted on the hearth and their movements interpreted - if the nuts stayed together, so would the couple.
Another Halloween Game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap-dragon_(game)

At weddings, the tradition of throwing rice or other grain at a wedding evolved from an older custom wherein apples were originally thrown. Apples were considered a symbol of health and fertility.

Traditional Pumpkin Carving:
Pumpkins and pumpkin carving (as well as carving turnips and other large vegetables) are traditional activities at Halloween.
Carving pumpkins is fun, and has a long history back to turnip carving in Ireland.
Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother turns a pumpkin into a carriage
People are reputedly turned into pumpkins on this night.
The headless horseman hurls a pumpkin across the bridge in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin#Halloween
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o'-lantern

Traditional Halloween Magick with Mirrors:
If one looks into a mirror on Halloween, one will see the reflection of their future spouse. This is often associated with gazing into the mirror by candle light.
http://www.thehalloweenday.com/superstitions/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_mirror

Traditional Halloween Magick near Water:
If a girl looks into a spring of water on Halloween night, she will see the reflection of her life partner in the water. This superstition is often associated with the girl carrying a lamp.
If an unmarried girl carries a broken egg in a glass and takes it to a spring of water, she will be able to catch the glimpse of not just her future husband, but by mixing some spring water into the glass, she can also see the reflection of her future kids.

Current Participants Listed in following post.
Apparently I have already used up all the space I have been allotted in this post :0(
Please see Post #2 for Participant List

Last edited:
This Swap always has SPOOK-TACT-ULAR entries.

Current Participants
Spooky Halloween – Due October 13, 2019

*1. An. M. Sudyka - Cards Received 8/21
*2. SpottedCrow - Cards Received 8/30
*3. Laffqueen - Cards Received 08/08
*/. beltaine66 - WITHDREW
*/. ravenshadow - WITHDREW
*/. ksj1717- WITHDREW
*/. TNOL - WITHDREW
*4. Ancient Planter - Cards Received 9/06
5. Bu Bay Lai - Cards Received 10/07
6. Deb2015 - Cards Received 8/24
7. redlionspride - Cards Received 9/16
8. Carriesmith84 - Cards Received 9/16
*9. Boots - Cards Received 9/13
*10. Amandawas - Cards Received 9/12
*11. stephiedee - Cards Received 9/19
*12. Bea - Cards Received 9/28
*13. Vicki Z - Cards Received 9/13
*14. Suzi - Cards Received 9/19
*15. bluevioletz - Cards Received 9/12
*16. JenUrebel - Cards Received 10/04
*17. Binx3535 - Cards Received 10/13
*18. mrubyjean - Cards Received 10/09

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Oh my, oh dear... I signed up on other Halloween themed swap to keep my busy... do I dare take on more? HECK YEAH! Halloween in blowing up in my art studio this year! Please sign me up! Oh do I have spooky plans for this one, HAHA!

This card does it all. Gates that open and close. an owl that moves to reveal a witch and a witch that moves to reveal a cat on a pumpkin!

Last edited:
LOVE your cards, Laffqueen.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that they Moooooove!!!!!
Thanks for posting such SPOOKTACTULAR cards.

Last edited:
Halloween ephemera all over my desk!

I had the best day yesterday with my Halloween stash. More to come !

Haunting- decorative paper, magazine image, glitter gel pen, glow-in-the dark paint, rhinestones

Other Side- magazine background, packing tape image, magazine text, gelatos

R.I.P.- watercolor background, embossed crow, magazine image

I had the best day yesterday with my Halloween stash. More to come !

Haunting- decorative paper, magazine image, glitter gel pen, glow-in-the dark paint, rhinestones

Other Side- magazine background, packing tape image, magazine text, gelatos

R.I.P.- watercolor background, embossed crow, magazine image

SPOOKTACTULAR cards.
I think Haunting is my favorite, but they are all FAB

YEAH!! Halloween Season has begun! Of course you must sign me up :jiggy: Such wonderfully spooky art already posted!!

But don't get me started on that silly petition to change Halloween from the 31st to the last weekend in October -- Sacrilege!!

Back
Top Bottom