Black versus white Due: November 6

Donnacr

ATC Guru
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Due date: November 6
postage date for non-Australians: October 16
I live in Australia - mail will NOT reach me quickly! I normally allow 3 weeks when mailing my swaps to anywhere in the world - I suggest you do the same.
cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
participants: unlimited
media: any and all

ALL CARDS MAILED NOVEMBER 5th

This swap was inspired by the Zentangle Project Pack #6 (click on the name to view all the videos for this pack - inspiration). They 'spilt' Indian ink over the pages of a notebook and then tangled on the black and white spaces of each page. I thought that the combination of white on the black and black on the white looked fantastic and wanted to see if I could find ways to make this work on ATCs.
I can not draw - the first thumbnail is my poor attempt but I am sure that those who can draw will be able to come up with some much better ideas. For my 2nd sample I smooshed some black StazOn ink on a side and the top corner of a card then used a stencil alternating white Posca pen and black fineliner.
My 3rd sample has torn black card with white gel pen and black fineliner through another stencil. My final 2 samples were a lot of fun! I stamped the poinsettias on black card then embossed with fine white powder, then stamped the same poinsettias on white card and embossed using black sparkle powder. I cut both cards diagonally, trimmed them slightly to show their new base cards and recombined them - half white and half black.

CARD DESIGN DETAILS: I am sure that you can come up with more ideas but each card needs to have some areas that start black and some areas that start white. You will then use black to add a design to the white sections and white on the black sections.
You are not just using black and white to paint a picture - you are combining the positive and negative aspects on one card - CONTRAST!!

Due date:
Cards are to be in my hands by November 6. I will mail your returns as soon as possible but remember, it took up to 3 weeks to reach me so your returns may take up to 3 weeks to reach you. Please be on time so others don't have to wait.

Postage:
Australian players: please include a stamp equivalent to your postage
International players: a well hidden US$1 bill

ALL players please include a LARGE address label (AT LEAST 2" x2"), I will provide envelopes. Please do NOT send those 3-in-a-row sleeves - they do not fit in my envelopes.

1. Do your best work - I plan to swap effort-for-effort as much as I can.

2. Clearly write your USERNAME and the SWAP NAME on the back of all your cards (so you can get fun rep points) and on the back of your mailing envelope. I am running a few swaps and do not want to put you with the wrong returns.

3. Please mail early to allow time to reach Australia.

4. An extra card for the swap Host is greatly appreciated but is not required.

5. Embellishments are fine (in black and white only, of course ;)). The completed card needs to fit into a standard pocket and the embellishments need to be securely fastened so they don't fall off during shipping. If it is too bulky it is more than likely that the card may not reach me - either because the envelope has been torn and the card lost, or it is too heavy.

6. Have fun!

7. I will give iTraders feedback when I receive your cards and will also update this post showing that your cards have arrived. In return I encourage you to give iTrader Host feedback to me when you receive your swap returns, and Rep points to the artists whose cards you receive. After all, knowing where your cards went is half the fun I think.

PLAYERS
0. donnacr
1. Paintaddict -arrived
2. Gypsy - arrived
3. Mushu - withdrew
4. hem18 - arrived
5. AngelJoy - returned
6. ThouArtDelyrias - withdrew
7. Lorna - arrived
8. Blonda - withdrew
9. NancyL - returned
10. Kellan - returned
11. Annie - arrived
12. cinlan - returned

Last edited:
Betsyg - collage would be fine, as long as it is black on white background and white on black background. I also cannot draw - that is why I tried the samples before starting this thread (only 1 of the samples is drawn).
I am going to try the idea with die cuts and punches when I get the time.

Paintaddict - lovely to have a fellow Australian in the swap, you will be first to get your returns instead of among the last. :D

Paintaddict - love both your cards but only the first one is black VERSUS white, the zebras are a gorgeous black AND white picture.
On a 2nd viewing I am unsure if you have just done a magnificent job with your black and white pens - are the original black and white sections more obvious in real life?

Your description of 'positive and negative' is exactly what I am looking for!

ann_stebbing - welcome to the lurkers' couch. Are you quilting for yourself or as a gift? What sort of pattern and how big is the finished project?

I've been quilting for years and they sit on a ladder gathering dust. I have made some for gifts, but I had my 70th early in August and gave 3 of them away for grandsons, so I have some more room now! It's a disease, I'm sure it is. They all tend to be at least double bed size, but our bed is King size. I do make picnic blankets as well. I love piecing, but hate the backing/binding/quilting bit. I've started tying them which is easier.

I will have a go tomorrow, though I need to read the description again. I am a bit confused between VERSUS and AND.

Gypsy - welcome to the swap

Paintaddict - As requested I have given a hot link in the first post to the Zentangle Project Pack #6 videos - enjoy! I would love to trade for your zebras if you can find something in my Gallery that you like.

ann_stebbing - I don't quilt myself but I have quite a few friends who do and many of them also enjoy the making of the quilt but don't enjoy the finishing, especially the final quilting. Some of the local sewing stores offer a quilting service which these friends take advantage of. Very lucky grandsons to receive hand made quilts by you.
Those friends who quilt would agree with you about it being an addiction - they swear that the current quilt will be the last but then they find some gorgeous fabric, get wonderful praise for their finished quilt. . . and they are off again. :D

I have tried to reword my expectations of the cards to make it clearer - any comments on whether I have succeeded will be appreciated.
"You are not just using black and white to paint a picture - you are combining the positive and negative aspects on one card - CONTRAST!!"

I have made 5 more samples following the ideas shown in the Zentangle videos.
For the next 2 samples I actually spilt Dylusions ink over my white card, for the last sample I smooshed white Distress stain on black card.

Last edited:
welcome to Mushu and hem18. Hem18 - I think your abstract people are fine, good contrast between positive and negative. I am PMing you my address now.

woo hoo! I got me some zebras!! :jiggy::jiggy:

OFFER TO ALL PLAYERS - I am really enjoying playing with this theme and have way too many samples already. I would like to give each player one of my samples as a thank you for playing - if you have a particular one that you would like please ask for it.

Thanks so much Donnacr....and if we get to be choosers (exciting to receive an extra btw - thanks!) I love the one that looks like fish swimming from dark to light - very cool!

Wow! What a wonderful theme and terrific example cards.
It looks challenging, though, so I am going to lurk a bit until I can try it out.

I am lurking, I need to see if I can get this to work. So far my white drawing on black is terrible - I'm blaming the pen. So I tried cut paper. My first cut paper had some white on white & black on black...needs some engineering.
Is it OK to start with white paper, cut it, add black then glue it together?

Lorna - if you have a look at the samples in my first post - the cityscape background is torn strips of black card stuck on a white card base, then stencilled and the 2 flower samples were white embossed on black and black embossed on white then these 2 pieces were cut in half and repaired with their opposite colours.
for my first sample in post #12 I stuck strips of black washi tape on white card and die cut this. On a different white card I added strips of black washi tape so that it now sat UNDER the white sections of the die cuts.

What I am looking for is the contrast of a black design on white and a white design on black - any way that you can achieve this is fine by me.

For all those lurkers - try 'spilling' your backgrounds. It is amazing how inspired you can become by those weird shapes that the paint forms as it dries.

Just a hint for those using white gel pens - have a scrap of paper close by, as the nib of the pen may become clogged with your black paint, just roll it around on your scrap paper until it draws white again and off you go!

hem18 - your choice has been noted and withdrawn from offer to others.

welcome AngelJoy​ - it really is a lot of fun, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom