Thread: Black versus white Due: November 6

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you miss!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Donnacr....and if we get to be choosers (exciting to receive an extra btw - thanks!) I love the one that looks like fish swimming from dark to light - very cool!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! What a wonderful theme and terrific example cards.
    It looks challenging, though, so I am going to lurk a bit until I can try it out.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am lurking, I need to see if I can get this to work. So far my white drawing on black is terrible - I'm blaming the pen. So I tried cut paper. My first cut paper had some white on white & black on black...needs some engineering.
    Is it OK to start with white paper, cut it, add black then glue it together?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lorna - if you have a look at the samples in my first post - the cityscape background is torn strips of black card stuck on a white card base, then stencilled and the 2 flower samples were white embossed on black and black embossed on white then these 2 pieces were cut in half and repaired with their opposite colours.
    for my first sample in post #12 I stuck strips of black washi tape on white card and die cut this. On a different white card I added strips of black washi tape so that it now sat UNDER the white sections of the die cuts.

What I am looking for is the contrast of a black design on white and a white design on black - any way that you can achieve this is fine by me.

For all those lurkers - try 'spilling' your backgrounds. It is amazing how inspired you can become by those weird shapes that the paint forms as it dries.

Just a hint for those using white gel pens - have a scrap of paper close by, as the nib of the pen may become clogged with your black paint, just roll it around on your scrap paper until it draws white again and off you go!

hem18 - your choice has been noted and withdrawn from offer to others.

welcome AngelJoy​ - it really is a lot of fun, enjoy!
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my first two cards.
    Black vs White set 1.jpg
    Crafting is my passion!!!

7. Likes miss, AngelJoy, Betsyg liked this post
    AngelJoy is offline I will sing to the LORD... Psalm 13:6a
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first card -- please let me know if I am on the right track!

001.jpg
    I love to trade -- just ask! ATCs Availabe for Trade and ATCoins Available for Trade
    Currently hosting: CLEARANCE!! Swap -- Due Oct. 19 and Alphabetic Zentangle Adventure -- Due Nov. 2

9. Likes Mushu, Betsyg liked this post
    AngelJoy is offline I will sing to the LORD... Psalm 13:6a
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I couldn't stop once I got started, so hopefully I AM on the right track!

002.jpg

If they are acceptable for this swap, I will be sending them out in tomorrow's mail.
    I love to trade -- just ask! ATCs Availabe for Trade and ATCoins Available for Trade
    Currently hosting: CLEARANCE!! Swap -- Due Oct. 19 and Alphabetic Zentangle Adventure -- Due Nov. 2

11. Likes Mushu, Betsyg liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying 'expanding the square' and black vs white (yes, all at once). I am probably making it too hard. Off to try it again...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could totally try this! I remember doing similar stuff in an art class in college! Count me in Donna!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hem18 View Post
    Ive been obsessed with Bob Burridge as of late....put these abstract acrylic people together today - did I get it right for this swap
    Attachment 209257?
    Those are totally awesome Hem18!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome ThouArtDelyrias (I hope this is more fun than art class )

Lorna - remember the KISS principle (Keep It Simple S....) - have fun with these cards. If you come up with a variation that you like I would love to see it

AngelJoy - those are all very acceptable (LOVE the first one!!) I haven't moved since March when we last traded but do you need my address?

Mushu - those are stunning!! I love the touch of blacker black on the leaves in the 2nd one. I challenge you to try a white spill on black card for your base, like my last sample.

EVERYONE​ - Don't forget to tell me your choice of which of my samples you would like to receive as Host gift.
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

16. Thanks Mushu thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently waiting on some good black paper coming in the mail. I don't want to use the low cost black paper that fades out in the light. I am also going to experiment with using black gesso on white paper and then dumping some white acrylic paint on top. I will share some pics of my progress.
    Crafting is my passion!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mushu - that sounds really interesting. I would love to see pics of your progress. Alas, I only have white gesso but I could play with that on black card - great idea, thanks!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 cards - not sure if they are OK for the swap. They are white index cards, black marker added as needed. I have 2 that expand the square. Works in progress..
    The first has a black square a little larger than the starter square. I may add to the card.
    In the second, (small error in expanding the square - glued some down wrong) half the card is black then the pieces the white are colored.
    For the third, I started making a wide black curve on white. Then I cut random curves and colored them if they landed on white.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lorna; 09-07-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: change thumbnail to link

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lorna - the 2nd and 3rd cards are perfect for this swap. You can see that there are patches of black that have white added to them and patches of white that have had black added to them.
    Even though I love the 1st card it appears to be black added to white only. Please don't be discouraged - I absolutely adore your 3rd card and hope you make more along those lines.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please sign me up! There is enough time (even accounting for mailing) to have these done. Once I found a system, they are fun to produce.
    I fooled you on the first one. You will get to see it eventually. I have other ideas to try out too.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lurking...and researching. This is challenging my brain! Lol

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please sign me up and PM your address. Sounds like fun.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome Lorna - I am so glad that you have found a system that works for you (I can't wait to see how you have fooled me with your 1st card.
    welcome Blonda - it really IS fun! If you have any questions feel free to ask in the thread or send me a PM

MrsMixedMedia - enjoy your research, meanwhile you are welcome to rest on the very comfortable lurkers' couch. I hope you will join us.

Here are a couple of my starter cards - the first has torn pieces of black card stuck to a white card base, the 2nd literally is black ink spilt on watercolour paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. Likes AngelJoy liked this post