Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Black versus white Due: November 6

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miss​ - I have sent you a PM as your cards are lovely examples of black and white, not black versus white (think positive/negative).
    Last edited by Donnacr; 09-28-2019 at 12:50 AM.
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 away from home Thurs 17/10 till Tues 22/10 at a craft retreat coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

NancyL is offline plays with color and texture
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took notes on how to do this. I guess I just have to try doing it. I did get some white pens. And some white embossing powder.
    Kind of like watching other people swim. It works much better if you just jump in and try it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miss​ - I have sent you a PM.
    You can say in the thread that my cards don't work, if it helps to prevent people from making the same mistake I did (lack of contrast).

Also, if I do try again, are printed papers completely off limit? For example, does the white paper with black text that I used count as "white" when I add black ink to it, or was that part of my problem?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    miss - thanks for understanding, your cards are good examples of black AND white, just not the black VERSUS white that I was looking for.
    Your white paper with the grey writing on it still strikes the eye as basically white so would count as such, the paper you used behind your 'Regal' card would not count as it has too much white to be black and too much black to be white.
    The easiest way to check is: look at your card and can you see sections that you would describe as Positive and some sections that appear to be Negative if it was a photo?

NancyL​ - just jump in and start experimenting, Lorna was sure that she couldn't do it and now she is sending in 6 cards. Have fun!
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 away from home Thurs 17/10 till Tues 22/10 at a craft retreat coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope everyone tries ways to get the black VS white. It did take me a while to get a method (it is that pesky logic side coming out). Donnacr suggested KISS which helped me go back keeping that in mind. All were done using 2 index cards and a black sharpie.

Here is what I did:

1 - Cut index card 1 into nice shapes, lay them out on a dark surface (I did this so I can keep track and find them).
    2 - On card 2 mark one or more areas with the black sharpie. Having about half the area black in a random shape was the easiest.
    3 - One at a time, for each piece cut in step 1, lay it out on the marked card. Where it sits on black, you are done. Where it sits on white, it needs to be black. I marked the edge of the crossover area lightly in pencil, blackened with sharpie where it will sit on white, and erased the pencil (our secret now). Then I checked the fit and glued it down. Sometimes the design changed a little to accommodate the marking I made.

I hope this helps someone get started - I would love to hear other methods.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lorna - thanks for your tips.

I found that I had to have the background done first, with clear black and white areas. I then sat down with my black fineliners and my white gel pen and started randomly adding shapes.

For more inspiration check out the link in post #1 for the Zentangle Project Pack #6 which inspired this swap.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far I have made one fantastic embossed card, many, many screw-ups and two with cut-outs. I have two I can use for the swap.
    part of my problem is not having all the right materials. I can use distress inks for the embossing but sometimes it doesn't hold the embossing powder. If I had white ink , I could just stamp on shapes.

I have spent a lot of time working on this.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    NancyL - do you have clear embossing powder? Could you try doing embossing resist on white card - it gives the same result as stamping in white ink ie a white stamped image? then use black ink or marker around that?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    bumping us up

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add me to the swap...cards are done...I think I got a little carried away. Not sure which ones I will be sending. You can see my cards here Black versus White

11. Likes AngelJoy liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks very interesting. I'm going to lurk while I play around to see if I can create something worthy of the swap.

"If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."
    Instagram...Facebook...Etsy Shop...Vintage Etsy...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like your flower card as my choice.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome cinlan. You do know that you have the choice to send in 6:6 if you like, a few other people are. Your cards are great!
    Which of the flower cards do you want - white at the top or the bottom?

HHC - welcome to our very comfortable lurkers' couch. I hope you don't stay there too long before you decide to join us.
    Last edited by Donnacr; 09-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.

15. Thanks cinlan thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnacr View Post
    welcome cinlan. You do know that you have the choice to send in 6:6 if you like, a few other people are. Your cards are great!
    Which of the flower cards do you want - white at the top or the bottom.
    It doesn't matter, I like them both but if I have to pick I would pick the white at the top.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is now yours.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine went out in the mail today.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    NancyL - I will tell you when they arrive

Lorna​ - your cards have arrived

For everyone who has not mailed yet - don't forget that I live in AUSTRALIA so your cards need to be in the mail by the middle of October. I have suggested by the 16th in the opening post.
    Last edited by Donnacr; 09-28-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    PLEASE be very careful that your cards are black VERSUS white (think positive/negative) not simply black and white!

Look at the Zentangle inspiration linked in the first post, look at my examples in posts #1 and #12 and those that I have praised in the thread.

If in doubt - show your cards in the thread and I will confirm that they meet requirements.

I am getting some amazing cards sent to me, following the theme, but I have also had to send some back to their makers as they were only lovely black and white cards. I hate to do this so please check before mailing.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cards went out today, Take your pick.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will tell you when they arrive ​cinlan