Black versus white Due: November 6

dithespy & cinlan - you are very welcome to take a seat on the lurkers' couch until inspiration hits you

NancyL & Kellan - welcome to the swap. Also welcome to the site, Kellan - if you have any questions feel free to either ask in the thread or send me a PM. We all remember when we were new to the site - there is no such thing as a stupid question.

hem18​ - your wonderful cards have arrived.

I think using a stencil would be the easiest way to do this. Where your background is white, you color in black. where your background is black, you color in white.
I also want to try zentangling. Or embossing might be fun. you just can't get confused.

NancyL - My flower card and the cityscape (in Post #1) were both done using stencils, they were a lot of fun!
Zentangles were the inspiration for the swap so they also work very well.
Not sure if you mean embossing with a folder or embossing with powders - that could get very fiddly but might give great results. . .

I only know how to emboss with powders.

I did embossing for two current ATC swaps. I am using oxide distress inks which are slow-drying and emboss well. I think I have both white and black powders.

Here are the rest of my cards - they were fun to make! I have others but they ended up boring. If it is OK I'll make it 6:6.

1_BvW1.jpg
1_BvW4.jpg
1_BvW6.jpg
1_BvW5.jpg
1_BvW7.jpg

NancyL- when I have caught up with a few more swaps you have inspired me to try making an embossed card. Can't wait to see what you come up with
Lorna - those look fantastic! Of course it is okay to make 6:6 - they are quite addictive once you find a method you like, aren't they?

Annie - welcome to this swap, enjoy your new addiction. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know! They were fun to do, and a nice challenge!

Thorn - welcome to the comfy lurkers' couch. I am sure that you won't be able to resist when you see all the eye candy ;)

Kellan​ - that is a great start, keep going.

Will these do?

bw.jpg

The focal points are drawn in black ink on white pages from a literary journal. There is at least a little white ink drawn on the black ink as well. With the panda card, I mounted on black cardstock and added a white gel pen outline and white punched stars. The rest are mounted on various black/ white scrapbook paper. I then stamped the text (black on white) and mounted the white on a layer of black. If that works, please sign me up.

Last edited:
Miss​ - I have sent you a PM as your cards are lovely examples of black and white, not black versus white (think positive/negative).

Last edited:
I took notes on how to do this. I guess I just have to try doing it. I did get some white pens. And some white embossing powder.
Kind of like watching other people swim. It works much better if you just jump in and try it.

Miss​ - I have sent you a PM.

You can say in the thread that my cards don't work, if it helps to prevent people from making the same mistake I did (lack of contrast).

Also, if I do try again, are printed papers completely off limit? For example, does the white paper with black text that I used count as "white" when I add black ink to it, or was that part of my problem?

miss - thanks for understanding, your cards are good examples of black AND white, just not the black VERSUS white that I was looking for.
Your white paper with the grey writing on it still strikes the eye as basically white so would count as such, the paper you used behind your 'Regal' card would not count as it has too much white to be black and too much black to be white.
The easiest way to check is: look at your card and can you see sections that you would describe as Positive and some sections that appear to be Negative if it was a photo?

NancyL​ - just jump in and start experimenting, Lorna was sure that she couldn't do it and now she is sending in 6 cards. Have fun!

I hope everyone tries ways to get the black VS white. It did take me a while to get a method (it is that pesky logic side coming out). Donnacr suggested KISS which helped me go back keeping that in mind. All were done using 2 index cards and a black sharpie.

Here is what I did:

1 - Cut index card 1 into nice shapes, lay them out on a dark surface (I did this so I can keep track and find them).
2 - On card 2 mark one or more areas with the black sharpie. Having about half the area black in a random shape was the easiest.
3 - One at a time, for each piece cut in step 1, lay it out on the marked card. Where it sits on black, you are done. Where it sits on white, it needs to be black. I marked the edge of the crossover area lightly in pencil, blackened with sharpie where it will sit on white, and erased the pencil (our secret now). Then I checked the fit and glued it down. Sometimes the design changed a little to accommodate the marking I made.

I hope this helps someone get started - I would love to hear other methods.

Back
Top Bottom