IF GOD HAD WANTED MAN TO FLY, Due August 23, 2019

THE PROGRESSION OF FLIGHT, Due August 23,2019
    Swap Due Date: August 23, 2019
    Signup/Withdraw Date: August 23, 2019
    Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
    Number of Participants: Unlimited
    Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

July 20, 2019, IS THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF MAN'S WALK ON THE MOON

It has been said IF GOD HAD WANTED MAN TO FLY, (He would have given them inspiration)
    And man has been given plenty of thoughts, ideas, and inspiration.

Attempts to fly are not only in our myths, but are documented in Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and pre-history times.
    Man has attempted flight for over two THOUSAND years. No, the Wright brothers were not the first!!
    Kites, balloons, movable/warping wings, and gliders all pre-date gliders, as well as "airplanes".

Kites lifted man in China. Leonardo da Vinci had a 15th-century documented glider.
    Balloons came next with hot air balloons, followed by the discovery of hydrogen gas in the 18th century, at almost exactly the same time that the Montgolfier brothers re-discovered the hot-air balloon. Note the French reconnaissance balloon L'Intrépide of 1796. There were hot air balloons used in the Civil War, and dirigible balloons used in WWII. There were steam powered and bicycle powered flying machines. There were high wing, low wing, and bi wing planes. There were jet fighters and flights to the moon.

There were pioneers like Sir George Cayley, the Wright Brothers, Lucky Lindy, Jean Batten, Amelia Earhart, Neil Armstrong.

This swap is about the Progression of Flight

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.
    Choose your focus or timeline (people, planes, or historic events). It would be fun to "date" your cards within their historic context (Earhart 1932, Lindbergh 1927, Neil Armstrong 1969) but that is up to you.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
    * ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
    * All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
    * All cards need to be standard atc size: 2.5” x 3.5”
    * Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything! We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
    * All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
    * Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
    * If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
    http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by August 23, 2019. Returns will be mailed promptly.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
    If God had wanted man to Fly, Due August 23, 2019

1. StitchinWitch
    2. Boots
    3. Vicki Z
    4. FlyingPhoenix
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 11-18-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Add/Update Participants

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 208190

1000 B.C.
    Yes, that early

.....Kites were invented in China
    .....Early prints show proof of first kites
    .....Chinese person flying a kite (movable arm holding the kite)
    .....Moooving Card.....Movable arm holding the kite.....This card Moves!
    .....Person "flying" IN a kite, came soon after
    .....Early writings document that man was lifted by kites to track the strength and movements of the enemy,
    most particularly in times of war

Attachment 208193

Da Vinci Glider

Leonardo Da Vinci made many drawings of flying machines (gliders, planes, parachutes) in the late 1400's.
    .....This sketch dated 1488

An interest in human flight goes back (documented) to 1000 BCE
    But real progress in flight started in the 15th Century

Progression of Flight -- Timeline
    1000 BCE First Kites
    .....Kites are invented in China
    900 BCE The Flight and Fall of Icarus
    .....Greek Myths
    853 BCE A King tries to fly
    .....The English King Bladud is apparently killed attempting to fly
    1485 Leonardo Da Vinci Designs flying machines
    .....Designs gliders, planes, and parachutes
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 08-29-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 208191Attachment 208192

First Transatlantic Flight

Charles Augustus Lindbergh, nicknamed Slim, Lucky Lindy, and The Lone Eagle, was an American aviator, author, inventor, military officer, explorer, and social activist.
    He made the first solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean on May 20-21, 1927, flying from Long Island, New York, to Paris, France.

Other pilots had crossed the Atlantic before him, but Lindbergh did it alone, non-stop, and successfully. Six men died in three separate crashes, and another three were injured in a fourth crash prior to Lindbergh’s success.
    For his successful flight, Lindbergh won the $25,000 reward.
    Background is a vintage photo of Charles Lindbergh with his airplane.
    Image in the foreground folds to the right side to reveal full view of background photograph.
    .....Charles Lindbergh first solo non-stop Trans-Atlantic flight
    .....Won $25,000 Prize money
    .....Foreground rubber stamp image
    .....Watercolor on stamped image
    .....Silver metallic gel pen on propeller
    .....Moooving Card.....Fold Over Plane on top of Vintage Photo.....This card Moves!
    Card shown closed.
    Card shown open.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 09-04-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many remember the pioneers like the Wright Brothers, Lucky Lindy, Amelia Earhart, Neil Armstrong.
    How many of you know anything about Sir George Cayley, or the Montgolfier brothers??

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I join this swap?

6. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I signed you up.
    You are new, so if you have any questions, please ask.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 07-04-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 209366
    Steampunk Dreams of Flying

Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy inspired
    by 18th century industrial steam powered machinery
    .....The first practical mechanical steam engine was introduced by
    Thomas Newcomen in 1712, and patent requests reached their
    greatest numbers shortly thereafter
    .....Glossy Paper Sunset Background
    .....Steampunk Inventor - Cut out, pop up
    .....Gears, Wheels, and Spinning Windmill Blades to Create Flight
    .....Gold crystals Embellishments

Attachment 207750
    HOT AIR BALLOON

A hot air balloon is filled with air from a hotly burning fire.
    Originally thought to require "smoke" to create lift (because they could see that smoke rose into the air), it was soon determined that hot air, not smoke, was the active ingredient. It was also discovered that some wood types burned hotter than other wood and gave the balloon more rising power.
    On the 19th September 1783 Pilatre De Rozier, a scientist, launched the first hot air balloon called 'Aerostat Reveillon'. The passengers were a sheep, a duck and a rooster and the balloon stayed in the air for a grand total of 15 minutes before crashing back to the ground.

Attachment 207751
    GAS BALLOON

On December 1, 1783, just ten days after the first hot air balloon ride, the first gas balloon was launched.
    A gas balloon is a balloon that flies in the air because it is filled with a gas less dense than air or lighter than air (such as helium or hydrogen). It is sealed at the bottom to stop the gas escaping.

Progression of flight -- timeline
    1709 Bartolomeu Laurenco de Gusmao designs a model glider
    1783 The first un-tethered manned hot air balloons - created by the Montgolfier brothers
    1783 The first gas (helium/hydrogen) balloons - by Jacques Alexander Charles and Nicholas Louis Robert
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 08-28-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 209245
    HMS Pallas flies Propaganda Kites

1806 First time a ship was used for airborne operations
    .....Kites flown from the HMS Pallas scattered propaganda pamphlets over parts of France
    .....Lord Thomas Cochrane of the British Royal Navy launched kites from HMS Pallas
    (a 32-gun frigate)
    .....HMS Pallas dropped propaganda leaflets on French territory
    ....Currently listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the first ship used for
    airborne operations (flying kites) and dropping propaganda (including proclamations
    against Napoleon Bonaparte)

Attachment 209244
    1861-1865 Hot Air Balloons used during the Civil War
    1861-1865 Balloons used for spying on opposition troupes, troupe tracking,
    ammunition drops, and supply refills
    1861 Salmon P. Chase and Joseph Henry (Union) used hot air balloons
    to spy on Confederate troops
    1861 Thaddeus S. C. Lowe demonstrated "Aerial Reconnaissance"
    to President Abraham Lincoln
    .....Balloon was hooked to a cable that linked the balloon to the War Department
    .....Balloons carried bags of sand, tied around the perimeter of the basket,
    which could be dropped off as necessary to gain altitude
    .....Due to balloons being uncontrollable and un-maneuverable, Lowe inadvertently
    made a hot air balloon trip from Cincinnati to South Carolina just after the bombing
    of Ft. Sumter. He was planning to go to New Jersey, and ended up on a 9-hour flight to SC.
    Attachment 207783
    Hindenburg Disaster/Zeppelin Explosion

.....Was to be filled with Helium
    .....Filled instead with Hydrogen
    .....Hydrogen is very flammable
    .....This airship is considered a Zeppelin or a Dirigible (rigid, controlled airship)
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 09-04-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 208472
    Santos-Dumont Number 6 Airship (Blimp)

Card shows Santos-Dumont No. 6 just rounding the Eiffel Tower
    .....The first aircraft to make routine controlled flights
    .....Won the Deutsch de la Meurthe Prize, October 1901
    .....NOT a dirigible, although looks similar
    .....Technically this airship is considered a non-rigid airship, or "blimp"
    .....A "Blimp" is a small non-rigid airship that maintains its form by
    pressure from contained gas.

Attachment 209296
    Two Wing Biplane, the Wright Flyer

Orville/Wilbur Wright (U.S.) make first powered, sustained, controlled airplane flight
    in a heavier-than-air flying machine (bi plane)
    .....The first powered, controlled airplane to fly, the Wright Flyer,
    used a biplane wing arrangement
    .....Biplanes soon became common-place

Attachment 209358
    Seaplane

.....Henri Fabre makes the first successful seaplane flight at Martigues, near
    Marseilles, France, 1910
    .....A seaplane is a powered fixed-wing aircraft capable of taking off and landing on water.
    .....Iris Fold Seaplane Image
    .....Glossy Lake Background
    ....."Best Day Ever" Ticket to ride on a Seaplane
    .....Seaplanes used to be the main form of air transport before the second world war,
    .....Fell out of favor after WWII -- Considered "Dangerous"
    .....Still used in Alaska and other areas inaccessible by road
    .....The tourism industry in Alaska is heavily reliant on seaplanes to get visitors around.
    .....Alaskans are also six times more likely than the average American to own a plane.

Attachment 208217
    Two Wing Biplane, U.S. Air Mail Service Established

.....A fixed-wing aircraft with two main wings stacked one above the other
    .....Two stacked wing airplanes were used in many aircraft in the early years of aviation
    .....Air Mail was first flown in bi wing airplanes
    .....Original Bi-planes were like the Wright Brothers "Flyer" flown/design copied in 1903
    .....United States Air Mail Service Officially Established 1918
    .....Biplanes upgraded
    .....Biplane Image Collage -- Biplane image is an 1930's biplane image
    .....Die Cut Globe
    .....Air Mail Postage Stamp
    .....Sticky Back Text
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 08-29-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still thinking about this one. We've got company coming in a few days and a **certain person** doesn't want me to spread my art supplies back out on the dining table (doesn't everyone take over the dining table to do art??) until after they leave on July 19. Just so happens that a **certain person** is leaving for almost a week that day, too, so I'll have plenty of time to get my stuff spread out again then.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

12. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a plan!
    Hope it works out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Planter View Post
    I'm still thinking about this one. We've got company coming in a few days and a **certain person** doesn't want me to spread my art supplies back out on the dining table (doesn't everyone take over the dining table to do art??) until after they leave on July 19. Just so happens that a **certain person** is leaving for almost a week that day, too, so I'll have plenty of time to get my stuff spread out again then.

Doesn't everyone spread out their art supplies on the dining room table?
    I certainly do!!!!

14. Likes Ancient Planter liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for mentioning Sir George Cayley.
    People on this side of the pond have no idea who he is.

He is an English pioneer of aerial navigation and aeronautical engineering and designer of the first successful glider to carry a human being aloft. He is also reputed (by some) to be the first to fly an airplane, (NOT the Wright Brothers).

When I visited the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington and saw a replica of Cayley’s glider, I was told Sir Cayley invented the airplane 100 years before the Wright Brothers. Even French pioneer Charles Dolfuss (1923) stated the following: “The aeroplane is a British invention of Sir George Cayley.

The home and workshop of George Cayley are still kept much the way they were in the 1800's, and on display in his workshop, which is part of his estate in Scarsborough, which still stands in Yorkshire, are many of his ideas, notes, models, and inventions.

Consequently, I was happily surprised when the BBC, in a series hosted by Dame Penelope Keith (TV star of "Good Neighbors", "The Good Life", and "To the Manor Born") did a segment where she visited the estate, home, and workshop of George Cayley in the village that happily boasts him as the first man to discover flight, and the airplane, and is their native son.
    Last edited by Boots; 07-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.

16. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I neglected to ask you to sign me up.
    Last edited by Boots; 07-19-2019 at 04:00 PM.

18. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have signed you up.
    \Welcome, Boots.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you out there who would like to participate, but whose Muse is not co-operating, try making your ATCs following the three "P's".
    That means make 1 card each of each of the following subjects/themes: "Person" involved, "Plane" or glider involved, "Place" from where to where (map, departure crowd, greeting crowd, newspaper coverage)

(Person) Charles A. Lindbergh, first person to fly non stop solo across the Atlantic Ocean 1927...(Plane) single engine, single seat, high wing monoplane, Named "Spirit of St.Louis"...(Place) Transatlantic flight from Long Island, New York, to Paris, France, 3625 miles (total 3 ATCs)

(Person) Amelia Earhart, first female to fly non stop solo across the Atlantic Ocean 1932...(Plane) Red Lockheed 5B Vega, 6 passenger, had wheel pants, cantilever (internally braced) one-piece spruce high wing...(Place) Transatlantic flight Newfoundland, Canada to Ireland 2026 miles (total 3 ATCs)
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 07-10-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you need inspiration, look up the specialized planes of the Great War
    Planes designed flown during World War I, July 28, 1914 to November 11, 1918
    Fighters, Bombers, Carriers.....
    The Great War was the impetus for newer, faster, better, stronger, and more
    maneuverable aircraft

Attachment 209390
    1916 - 1918
    The Red Baron and the Dr.I Fokker Dreidecker

In the 19 months between 1916 and 1918, the Red Baron claimed 80 air combat victories
    .....Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen (2 May 1892 – 21 April 1918), known
    as the "Red Baron", was a fighter pilot with the German Air Force during WWI
    .....Richthofen flew the celebrated Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker (triplane)
    .....The triplane is a fixed wing aircraft with three vertical stacked wings
    .....This 3 wing configuration potentially offers a faster rate of climb and tighter
    turning radius, both of which are important in a fighter plane
    .......The triplane was painted "BLOOD" red, and the name "Red Baron" was given to
    this plane, and its pilot, by the Allied Forces
    .....Awarded the "Blue Max" in 1917
    .....Killed in a dogfight over France in 1918
    .....Top image - Fokker DR.I Dreidecker
    .....Black and White News shot of the Red Baron and his Dreidecker
    .....Hazy Red Acrylic Background
    .....Red and Midnight Purple glitter glue exploding bombs, downed planes, and flying shrapnel
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 08-28-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 208235
    Quantas founded

.....(Queensland And Northern Territory
    Aerial Services) founded in 1920
    .....Card created by Donnacr for my "Roaring 20's" Swap

Attachment 208733
    NW Airlines founded as part of Civil Aviation

.....Collage images
    .....Nuovo Gloss Dots
    .....Nuovo Gloss Texture
    .....Nuovo Duck Egg Blue Textured Clouds
    .....Green Tea Gelatos
    .....Sticky Back Text

Attachment 208237
    The Royal Canadian Air Force

The Designation of "Royal Canadian Air Force" (RCAF) granted to the
    Canadian Air Force on June 29, 1927, by King George V.
    The Siskin plane pictured is a fighter purchased by the RCAF and was used
    in combat until 1939
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 09-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 208792
    Tri-Rotor Plane

.....Plane can hover
    .....Plane has vertical take off
    .....Plane can land in either vertical or horizontal flight configuration
    .....Flies for 24 hours longer than a helicopter on same amount of fuel
    .....Can be loaded in the back of a cargo van for easy transport
    .....Plane delivers a very stable and agile flight
    .....Pre-cursor to the helicopter
    .....Some wonder why the helicopter replaced the tri rotor plane ?????
    .....Watercolor Background
    .....Plane Image from the Web
    .....Sticky Back Text

Attachment 208542
    First Woman transatlantic Flight

.....Amelia Earhart first woman to fly solo non-stop Trans-Atlantic flight
    .....Received Flying Cross Medal

Attachment 208794
    First Operational Helicopter

The helicopter, or chopper, is a type of rotor-craft in which lift and thrust are supplied by rotors.
    .....Developed and built during the early 1900's
    .....Can take off and land vertically, as well as hover, and fly forward, backward, and laterally
    .....Can be used in congested or isolated areas where fixed-wing aircraft and many forms of VTOL
    (Vertical Take Off and Landing) aircraft cannot perform.
    .....Useful in the face of the possibility of War in the near future
    .....Useful of evacuating troupes in a war zone or afire
    .....Cameo Background
    .....Stamped and Colored Helicopter
    .....Gimp Ladder
    .....Silver Metal "Dog Tag"
    .....Sticky Back Text

Attachment 209061
    1943-1944
    WASP Test Pilot

Betty Wall earned her "Silver Wings" in the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots),
    while flying WWII missions 1943-1944
    .....Tested various U.S. Military Aircraft BEFORE the "Boys" were allowed to fly them
    .....Test pilot on the AT6
    .....Low wings were an improvement on the biwings, but were soon replaced by
    high wing planes
    ..... Web image of the AT6, a single engine, low wing, advanced trainer plane
    ....."Silver Wings" medal awarded to all (1200) WASPs who completed training
    out of the 25,000 initial applicants
    .....Early photo of Betty White

Attachment 209404
    de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver

The de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver is a single-engined high-wing
    propeller-driven short takeoff and landing aircraft developed and
    manufactured by de Havilland Canada
    .....Can land on water (with floats) or on land
    .....Arguably the best bush plane ever built
    .....In 1987, the Canadian Engineering Centennial Board named the
    DHC-2 as one of the top ten Canadian engineering achievements
    of the 20th century

Attachment 208742
    Aircraft exceeds speed of sound

.....October 12, 1947 Charles Yeager breaks the sound barrier
    .....Chuck Yaeger pilots first plane to exceed speed of sound
    .....Nuovo Duck Egg Blue Conrail
    .....Pop Up Jet Cut Out
    .....Gelato Sky
    .....Baby Blue Edging

Progression of Flight -- Timeline
    1927 First Transatlantic Flight
    .....Charles Lindberg first solo non-stop Trans-Atlantic flight
    1932 First Woman transatlantic Flight
    .....Amelia Earhart first woman to fly solo non-stop Trans-Atlantic flight
    1932-1937 Record Breaking Flights
    .....New Zealander Jean Batten makes record-breaking flights around the world
    1946 Blue Angels
    .....2nd oldest formal flying aerobatic team in the world
    1947 Charles (Chuck) Yeager pilots first aircraft to exceed speed of sound
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 09-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    RECAP

Attachment 208418....Attachment 208419
    Apollo 12
    November 14, 1969

.....Objective: Precision Landing on the Moon
    .....Launched only 4 Months after Apollo 11
    .....6th Manned Flight in the Apollo Program
    .....2nd Lunar Landing
    .....Struck by Lightening, TWICE! en route
    .....Due to a "Prank", Pornography brought to the moon by mankind
    .....Why TUNA mattered on this particular flight
    .....More astronauts walk on the moon

Attachment 208420
    Apollo 13
    April 11,1970

.....Objective: Considered a "Routine" flight
    .....Public becoming bored with the Space Race
    .....Received little news coverage until things started to go wrong on Apollo 13
    .....At a time when hotels "ELIMINATED" the 13th Floor, due to superstition
    (Triskaidekaphobia) this was called the Apollo 13
    .....NASA built Apollo 13, Set Launch for April 13, at 13:13
    .....Later adjusted to April 11, 2:13 EST, Kennedy Space Center
    .....Pilot grounded due to suspected measles (Did NOT have!)
    .....Malfunctions and blowups on board
    .....Square filters would not fit in round filter compartments
    .....Low on Water, Had to ration
    .....One astronaut got a urinary infection due to drinking insufficient water
    .....Reduced to 20 Watts of Power
    .....Very cold in capsule, no heat
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 09-04-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    TODAY IS THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF MAN'S
    WALK ON THE MOON

Timeline:
    .....July 16, 1969, 3 men (Americans) Launch from Earth
    .....4 Days -- Earth Orbit (1 1/2 full orbits)
    .....July 20, 1960, Moon walk Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, Mike Collins
    stays on orbiting vehicle
    .....July 24, 1969, Return to and land on Earth, 8 Day Mission Duration

Attachment 208427
    July 20, 1969 -- Apollo 11
    First Man on the Moon

John F. Kennedy stood before Congress on May 25, 1961, and proposed that
    the US "should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of
    landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth."
    ..... Kennedy's speech gave a specific mission and time frame to NASA's Apollo
    program, that challenge being to land a man on the moon by the end of the century
    .....Objective: Beat the Soviet Union to land a man on the moon
    .....Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon, followed in the
    moon walk by Buzz Aldrin
    .....Historic quote from Neil Armstrong: "That's one small step for man,
    one giant leap for mankind."
    .....Also on Apollo 11 Michael Collins, who stayed on board the orbiting vehicle
    .....Kennedy did not live to see his challenge of 1991 realized, but his specified
    goal of "man on the moon this decade" was achieved

Attachment 208428
    First Man on the Moon

.....Watercolor Background
    .....Image Collage
    .....Grape Gelatos Highlights
    .....Blueberry Gelatos Highlights
    .....Glitter Glue Rocket Exhaust
    .....Sticky Back Text

Attachment 209134
    First Man on the Moon

SPACE TRIVIA
    On July 20, 1969, Kellogg's Corn Flakes flew with the Apollo 11 astronauts
    and was eaten for breakfast on the moon landing. Kellogg also provided
    fruit flavored cereal cubes to the Apollo 11 astronauts, making Kellogg
    the FIRST CEREAL in space and the FIRST CEREAL to be eaten on the moon.

.....Original Kellogg's Corn Flakes Box
    .....Current Kellogg's Corn Flakes Box
    .....Apollo 11 Moon Landing Module, called the "Eagle"
    .....Three Apollo 11 astronauts who ate Kellogg's cereal on the moon
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 08-30-2019 at 10:40 PM.