sketchbook time is always
Media
Swap due date/withdrawal date - Nov 15
Signup date - Nov 8
Number of cards - 3 for 3
Participants - unlimited
Medium - Hand drawn/hand painted

Non-Fish Mermaids

Mermaids are one of my favourite things to draw, but if you're like me, you've probably drawn many many mermaids with a standard fish tail. For this swap, we're going to mix it up a bit, and make mermaids based on other sea creatures! Any type of sea creature that isn't a fish is great here - you could do an octopus mermaid, a crab mermaid, a seal mermaid, a giant squid mermaid, etc.

Eg, here are some non-fish mermaids I've made in the past: a jellyfish mermaid and two seahorse mermaids:
1_Under_the_Sea_Fantasy_-_Jelly_Lady.jpg
1_Mermaid_-_hunting_party.jpg
1_Under_the_Sea_Fantasy_-_Stand_Out_to_Blend_In.jpg

Mermaid Guidelines:

• Each card needs to have a different mermaid.
  • The bottom half of each mermaid will be a non-fish sea creature! Eg, an octopus, crab, lobster, seahorse, sea cucumber, jellyfish, etc etc.
  • If you aren't sure if something counts as a "fish", just ask!
  • You can get creative and combine different creatures if you want to. (Eg octopus with crab legs). Just make sure it's based at least partly on real sea creatures.
  • No plain white backgrounds - add a bit of water/detail behind your mermaids.

Card Guidelines:

• Cards must be entirely hand-drawn and/or hand-painted.
  • On the back of the card, add both your username and real name (please include both! It makes the swapping/rating process much less complicated). You can also add a title, swap name, date, and any other info you want to include.
  • If you picked a very strange sea creature, add a note on the back about what it is.
  • Make sure your cards are 2.5" x 3.5", and are made from sturdy paper. (If you can easily bend it into a "U", it's too floppy.)
  • As always, I'll do my best to swap effort for effort.
  • Host cards are very appreciated but never necessary!

Mailing:

• Please PM me for my address when you're ready to mail your cards. I live in Canada, so give your cards plenty of time to arrive - most mail from the USA takes about business 5 days, but it occasionally takes longer. To be safe, it's best to send about 2 weeks before the deadline.
  • Put each of your cards in a plastic sleeve and secure them inside the envelope, either by taping them together or taping them to a card/piece of paper.
  • Tell me your username and which swap this is for - include a note or write on the back of the envelope.
  • Include a large, clearly written address label with your address, including your country. (You can send an envelope if you prefer, but don't attach postage to it unless it's Canadian postage.)
  • Include return postage.

Postage:

• Canada: include a permanent domestic stamp.
  • USA: include a global forever stamp - the round one that looks like a succulent. (I can use these in other swaps.) Please don't send any other type of postage (eg domestic stamps or mitered postage). Paypal is also an option. Don't put your stamp on an envelope!
  • International: Paypal me $2.65 for postage using "family and friends" method. If Paypal isn't an option, PM me and we can figure out something else.

Confused about postage? Please PM me or post in the thread!

When you've finished your cards, post them to the thread to show them off!

Once you've receive your returns, remember to leave iTrader for the host (that's me!) and "You Rock"s for your swap partners. If you're new to swapping on AFA, I'm happy to help/explain how this works.

Participants:
0. zilliah
1. 3moffday2 - received!
2. smallgirl - received!
3. Halogen - received!
4. angelmarlo - received!
5. snager - received!

Last edited:
Absolutely, welcome to the swap 3moffday2!

Hope you can join us Wooper and Lizzzabelll :)

Great, welcome to the swap smallgirl! Hope you can join us IamWhatonearth!

Thank you! Hope you can join :) Even if you can't make this swap, I'll be hosting more unusual mermaid swaps in the future :P

Last edited:
Today's inspirational mermaid is the OG non-fish mermaid - Ursula!

little_mermaid_ursula-1.jpg

Such a great use of tentacles. Is anyone thinking of making an octopus mermaid?

Here are my non-fish mermaids:
Selkie
Eel-maid
Nautilus-maid
Manatee-maid

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
Great, looking forward to seeing your cards in person, they're wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom