Dictionary Words: M, N, O - Hand Drawn/Painted, Collage, Mixed Media - Due Dec 31

Foxglove

ATC Guru
Media
Swap Due Date: Dec 31
Sign-up/Withdraw Date: No sign-up – you are added to the list when you ask to join, but I won't link to you post until you tell me they've been mailed.
Number of Cards: 3:3
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: HD/HP/Collage/Mixed Media

**Please make sure to read the definition you plan to use and illisutrate/collage it accordingly. Some words are spelled similarly, but have completely different meanings.**

Time to break out that old dictionary you have laying around (or make a run to the local dollar store, thrift store, or even a dictionary website) and get creative with me! For this swap, you will select three dictionary words with definitions -- one word will start with the letter M, one card will start with the letter N and one word will start with the letter O – and art away! You must include the dictionary word and definition on the front of your card. I do have some Dos and Don’ts, so please read carefully below.

**As much as possible, I will trade medium for medium, unless you tell me that you are okay with getting mixed returns. However, I am limited by the types of cards people make, so I can’t guarantee this.

SOME IDEAS TO GET THE CREATIVITY FLOWING:
~Nouns are easy to picture and art up (monkey, nest, octopus), however, consider looking at the verbs or adjectives. Example: “Measure: to find the exact weight/size/speed of something". For this, you might illustrate a tailor taking measurements.
~Have fun illustrating your word: Example: “Otter: a semiaquatic mammal related to the weasel family.” Of course you can show the cute, furry little critter...but if you put it in a space helmet, he is suddenly in otter space? Get it? Huh, huh? Hahaha, I crack myself up! :biglaugh:
Do whatever sparks your imagination!

DOs and DON’Ts:
~DO show the word/definition somewhere on your card. You can tear/cut it from a dictionary, print it, or have it as a part of your background (as long as the word/definition is visible.) If you write neatly, you can write it on your card.
~DON’T use magazine images as your sole focus – this isn’t artful. Add additional elements to make it artsy, expressive and interesting. You CAN use magazine images if it’s a creative expression of a bigger picture. Please feel free to ask if this isn’t very clear – this rule in place to make sure that participants receive cards that have been made with an attempt at creativity.
~DON’T have one tiny thing that fits the definition, and a bunch of things that have nothing to do with the word/definition. Example: If you choose 'Octopus’, don’t have random bits and pieces of stuff on your card with one strip of octopus-printed washi tape going across the bottom. One or more octopi should be the main focus.
ALL words are acceptable except those words that are racially or politically insensitive.
~DO have fun and get creative!

CARD GUIDELINES
~Each card must have a dictionary word with its definition on the front of the card. The Dictionary Word for card 1 will start with the letter M, card 2 will start with the letter N and card 3 will start with the letter O.
~Cards must be 2.5x3.5 inches, sturdy and neatly cut. I will return cards that are misshapen, lopsided or more than 1/8th of an inch off.
~Cards must be in a thin protective plastic sleeve.
~Please don’t make the card super bulky.
~At minimum, please include your User Name on the back of the card. You may add more info if you wish (location, date made, website, etc…)
~Do your best work and get creative. Send cards that were made with thought and care; something you would be thrilled to receive. (READ THE DON’Ts, listed above.)
~FLAT Embellishments are allowed and encouraged. If you embellish your cards, please try to ensure it complements the card. Make sure all embellishments are secured to the card.
~NO STICKERS except as an accent and not a focal image. No white borders on the stickers.
~NO LOOSE GLITTER. If you use glitter, it MUST be in the form of glitter glue or mixed with a sealant like gel medium/matte medium, etc…

MAILING GUIDELINES
~PM me when you are ready to send!
~Include a Forever stamp (U.S.) or a concealed U.S. dollar or U.S. Forever Stamp (outside the U.S).
~Include a neatly written/typed return label.
~Do not include a return envelope unless you really want to – otherwise, I will provide the envelopes.
~Secure cards in the envelope so they don’t all bunch up in a corner. You can tape them to a sturdy paper/light cardboard the shape of the envelope or tape them together in a row.

Who would like to come play?

1. KatelNorth
2. Allegrae
3. Betsyg
4. Hem18
5. Karr3ll
6. Donnacr
7. Elle
8. Cmcarli
9. Thouartdelryias
10. Laffqueen
11. Artbymee
12. ZCatLady
13. Leydab
14. Dnewton

Last edited:
I just noticed that the definition includes the use of deaf-mute a highly politically incorrect reference but the dictionary is quite old which is why I felt I could cut it up

Back
Top Bottom