Iconic Portraits handdrawn handpainted choose your models! due February 12th 2020

BexMadeMe

ATC Guru
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date -12th February
Signup/withdraw date - 5th February
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants - Unlimited

Who wants to practise their portrait likenesses. I want to see well known actors, musicians, royals, presidents, any people who are very well known or famous dead or alive. You can draw in any style, realistic, cartoon, whimsical etc but the challenge is to get a good likeness.

On signing up please give names of 3 people you would like to see portraits drawn of (your choices must be new and not already be on the list). Make them iconic, and well known to most of us.
Next choose 3 people from the list to draw/paint on your ATCs.
I will do my best to give you at least one of your portrait choices when swapping out if it's possible, that however depends on whether or not those models have been drawn.

Portrait models list-
1- Frida Kahlo
2- David Bowie
3- President Donald Trump
4- Marilyn Monroe
5- Edgar Allan Poe
6- Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe)
7- Prince Harry
8- Elizabeth Taylor
9- Empress Josephine
10- Jim Morrison
11- PeeWee Herman
12- RuPaul (preferably in drag)
13- Terry Crews
14- Billy Eilish
15- Aldous Huxley
16- Lizzie Siddal
17- Queen Elizabeth 1st
18- Ada Lovelace
19- Nelson Mandela
20- Empress Dowager Cixi
21- Amir Timur
22- Robin Williams
23- Jackie Kennedy
24- Eric Clapton
25- Mitch Grassi
26- Princess Diana
27- Marie Antoinette

Card Rules-
1. All cards must be hand drawn or hand painted, no embellishments.
2. Cards must be correctly sized with straight edges 2.5 x 3.5 inches, make sure that they are neither flimsy, or extra thick. Please check and measure your cards before sending, (it is harder to rectify these problems after I have received your cards).
3. Cards must be fully coloured (no plain white backgrounds)
4. Please include your username, real name and the swap name on the back of your cards along with any other info you wish to add.
5. Host cards are not required but will be treasured should you wish to include one.
6. Where possible I will exchange effort for effort and like for like cards to the best of my ability and dependant on cards received.

Postage info
1. The due date is 12th February. Please be mindful that I am in the UK so allow plenty of time for posting to me. Any late cards will be returned to senders.
2. Please pm me when you are ready for my address to send your cards.
3. Please package your cards carefully to ensure they reach me undamaged, and send in individual plastic ATC sleeves. I will need a large return address label or piece of paper with your address on it, but I will supply my own envelopes.
4. UK players please send either a first or second class stamp for return postage.
International players please send either $2 USA or contact me to pay via paypal. NO USA stamps, they are no use to me here in England. Also I will no longer be returning cards at my own expense if you do not send anything at all.

Who wants to play??

Players- Limited to 20 (+me)
0. BexMadeMe
1. lazyshadows
2. CiCiCreates
3. Istinkray Ilversay
4. HatchetPie - cards not received by 18th February- Arrived 20th Feb- returned.
5. redplantlady- withdrawn
6. AmeBee
7. BArox818
8. iidajenni - cards not received by 18th February

Last edited:
I love this idea, especially how you run your swaps with everyone adding things they want! But now I understand what it means to be a lurker, since I just withdrew from a few swaps due to being overworked I need to sit out for a while and get caught up. I hope to be back when the dust settles.

So I’m thinking the first person to sign up has no choice but to draw the only 3 currently listed. Maybe if we had a
choice between 6 or 9 celebrity names to start off, someone might be more willing to jump in and be first. I think it’s a great idea, and I love portraiture, and seeing others’ styles (but I would rather not have to do those three, sorry). If I’m misunderstanding, please let me know.

So I’m thinking the first person to sign up has no choice but to draw the only 3 currently listed. Maybe if we had a
choice between 6 or 9 celebrity names to start off, someone might be more willing to jump in and be first. I think it’s a great idea, and I love portraiture, and seeing others’ styles (but I would rather not have to do those three, sorry). If I’m misunderstanding, please let me know.

If nobody else signs up there are only the 3 model choices but as soon as people join, (and I am hoping we get more sign ups after Christmas), with each player comes 3 more models. You have until Feb 12th to get your cards to me, so you can sign up now and draw your cards in January or when there are more models that appeal to you. This is a different kind of swap I am hoping it takes off. I ran a similar swap before but with animals that was very popular, maybe there are less players who are interested in portraits. I hope it ends up going ahead but I will be cancelling it if no interest after the new year.

I am interested, but not very experienced with portraits... Doubtful if I can manage to create a likeness. I will think of it overnight or longer... Another lurker, that is!

And i need to add three more choices right? Then let me say Marilyn Monroe, Edgar Allan Poe and Harry Potter (Daniel R.) :)

Bex, I somehow missed the part where you suggested that I could sign up now, but wait a bit to draw my cards until there are more to choose from. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. So please sign me up, and my additions to the list are: Prince Harry - Elizabeth Taylor - Empress Josephine.

Okay, I can't hold back any longer! My three will be Jim Morrison, PeeWee Herman and RuPaul (preferably in drag).

Question- Can we post which three we decide to draw so that we don't have lots of people drawing the same characters? I enjoyed scrolling through the animals swap to try and figure out which ones hadn't been done yet- it's more fun to try and get everyone's choices drawn.

Okay, I can't hold back any longer! My three will be Jim Morrison, PeeWee Herman and RuPaul (preferably in drag).

Question- Can we post which three we decide to draw so that we don't have lots of people drawing the same characters? I enjoyed scrolling through the animals swap to try and figure out which ones hadn't been done yet- it's more fun to try and get everyone's choices drawn.

Welcome IstinKray Ilversay!
I'm pleased to see our models list is now growing :)

Although I can see your point of view re- model choices to draw this is not a pick a theme swap, and so the rules are different. For players who would like their model choices as guaranteed returns I suggest joining a pick a theme swap.

In this instance players are allowed to draw whichever portrait models they like from the models list regardless of whether or not that model has already been drawn. There may be half a dozen cards completed depicting the same model. Consider it a bonus if you receive one or more of your model choices in your returns, however this can not be guaranteed as I will also try to swap out effort for effort, and some people's models may not be drawn.

By all means please feel free to share completed artwork in the thread, and if some players choose to pick models that have yet to be drawn then that is also their choice. I hope that makes sense, the key message is that players can choose any models from the list to draw, totally their choice.

It's worth noting that I have run similar swaps only with favourite animals rather than famous portrait models and it did work out rather well in that almost all players received one or more of their favourite animals.

Thanks for clarifying BexMadeMe, not so much worried about getting who I suggested as returns but more wondering who to start drawing. But you're right, that favorite animal swap seemed to turn out pretty darn well. Excited to start!

What a great swap idea! If you're still taking applications, I would love Marilyn Monroe, Edgar Allan Poe, or Frida kahlo. I am in the U.S. so no worries if you don't want to swap. My names will be Beethoven, Ella Fitzgerald and Amelia Earhart. Hope this works for you. I am so excited.

Hi Paint_happy_clouds
Please read the rules thoroughly all info is there. Sign ups are taken until 5th February. You cannot choose your returns as names already on the portrait models list. The names you give me to add to the portrait list I will try and give you at least one of them in returns, depending on cards received and swapping effort for effort. You are not trading directly with me but cards are swapped from cards received from all players. Players are welcomed from all over the world. If you choose to join please read through all of the rules and follow directions as stated in post #1. If you are new to swaps the rules to this one are more complex so please read everything thoroughly. If you still want to sign up please let us know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom