Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Post-Christmas/NY ATART Dec 28 to Jan 5, '20

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that information about iTraders. I think I might have given one for every card from the same player last time - whoops!
    Now Hosting: Southwest Images ATC Swap; Pink Poodles ATC Swap

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My trades either went out yesterday or are going out today. Thanks everyone, and most especially Donna for hosting -- always a lot of fun!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of 6/2020 so be sure to ask for it!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My trades are on their way, too.
    The way to know life is to love many things.

jo.on.the.go is offline going, but not until the corona virus is over
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I will have everything mailed and my “I promise I will make a special card for you” cards made and posted. I am finishing a 800 page novel I can’t put down. About all I’ve done here so far is to move cards out of the athon gallery. Some of the requests that came in during the last two days haven’t been acknowledged and are still in my “available” gallery. Don’t give up on me

5. Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
    Tomorrow I will have everything mailed and my “I promise I will make a special card for you” cards made and posted. I am finishing a 800 page novel I can’t put down. About all I’ve done here so far is to move cards out of the athon gallery. Some of the requests that came in during the last two days haven’t been acknowledged and are still in my “available” gallery. Don’t give up on me
    You have to tell us the name of this fascinating novel that has captured your attention!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - E. Burke I have a new address as of 6/2020 so be sure to ask for it!

7. Likes CiCiCreates, Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The book is Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It is science fiction. The book starts with the moon being split into seven parts and the aftermath on earth as these seven parts collide and break into smaller parts and rain down on earth (the Hard Rain). A small group survives on a space station. The last part, taking place 5000 years later concerns the return to earth as it becomes inhabitable. The book is pretty heavy into physics and space technology - way too much in my opinion. The main characters are interesting and pretty well portrayed but sometimes one-dimensional. There are a lot of women with important roles - an even balance of male and female who are also evenly balanced between good and evil. I sometimes like science fiction because of the moral/philosophical aspects and I thought that there could have been more of this. The book was so compelling because I was always wondering what would happen next. If you aren’t a fan of science fiction but want to give it a try, I would recommend The Martian or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The latter is a good book that was made into a terrible movie, Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford. The movie is hardly recognizable as being derived from the book.

9. Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to guess that the book was Stephen Kings 11/22/63 that was a long and compelling book.

Or I was going to guess one of the Diana Gabaldon books. Those are long. I really didnt want to keep reading the series, and I watched season 1 on Dvd and had enough too. Sex, rape, murder... and traveling from place to place. I know some and I should say MANY people found this book and TV series exciting. So my apologies, if you are a fan.

11. Likes jo.on.the.go liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of Stephen King. I had a friend , who has since passed, who was a big SK fan and with whom I took road trips. One year we went to Maine, and then on to Canada. But while we were in Bangor she wanted to see SK's house ... sort of creepy with lots of gargoyles on the fence. She asked around town and she found a woman who had had SK as an English teacher many years ago. This woman admitted that she still thought of him as Mr. King, but that he was the most boring teacher she ever had.
    And even before that I read a bunch of Diana Gabaldon books. I am not tempted to go back and read whatever she has written since then. I watched part of the first season and decided that it wasn't for me. But I do want to go to Scotland and see more standing stones. I saw many on the Orkney and Shetland Islands when I was there about 8 years ago. My art keeps returning to the standing stones.
    The scifi book was recommended by my son. It was a break from my reading Brothers Karamazov, which is excellent but also long. I have about 500 pages left to read of that. Toward the end of last year I decided that I was going to read more classics. The writing and insights are so much more enriching than most of the books written today.

A bit of a nerd here, huh?
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 01-09-2020 at 01:26 PM.

13. Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got most of my trades in the envelopes for the mail tomorrow.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not a big SK fan, myself (did go by his house in Bangor, too), but every now and then one of his novels fascinates me. 11/22/63 was one of them. Not the typical King novel. Never read any of Gabaldon’s books, but I do admit to enjoying the series And in high school I was totally into all those Russian novels, including Brothers K., Crime and Punishment, and even War and Peace just for the hell of it!

16. Likes jo.on.the.go, Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been reading Vonnegut lately balanced by some fluffy Christmas ghost stories. I’ve only read one Stephen king.. pet semetary... and that was enough for me.
    :-)

18. Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new avatar with the Bat in front of the full moon.
    Is that an ATC???
    Is it available for trade?
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 01-14-2020 at 11:02 PM.

20. Thanks jo.on.the.go thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vicki - thanks for your nice comment on my new avatar. It was a card I made for the 2018 Oh! Look! Shiny Things! swap, called Moonlight Creature. Vegan4animals received the card in the swap.

22. Thanks Vicki Z thanked this post
    Likes Vicki Z liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally went out and mailed all my cards. It is so icy. I just had to go out. We are flying to Mesa the 3rd of Feb. 3 for the month. Would be nice if it was gone when we get home. I don't think it will be.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My youngest sister is a massive SK fan but she and my best friend (retired HS English teacher) both agree that his current books are just dross being churned out for the gullible public.
    I don't like horror unless it comes with a good dose of Fantasy or Science Fiction. For Christmas last year my best friend gave me a book called '1000 books to read before you die' - it was very interesting to compare her already read books to mine. I am not a fan of modern literature - Shakespeare is my 'modern' author unless it is Fantasy/Science fiction while she thinks anything written before 1900 is too old to bother with and HATES Sci Fi/Fantasy.

All my trades went in the mail yesterday.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would anyone be interested in joining a St Pat's Day Athon running Fri 13 Mar to Wed 18 Mar? I would Host.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    St Pat athon would be good. It might get me out of my non-creative mode.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have time to play.
    My chunky page list and APC list