I saw a peacock with a fiery tale swap, due Feb 26, 2020

Lurking ... love the poem but not sure I am creative enough to meet the challenge! I wonder if it is okay to illustrate the underlying feelings evoked by the poem rather than try to explicitly illustrate each line?

That could be an interesting approach, although it could get a little broad. Still, I like to be open to various interpretations. What about the underlying feelings for a line? So if you illustrated the idea of wonder for the last line. I do want people to have fun with this.

So, for example, the following line:
all in a flame of fire, I saw a House
could be a reference to The Talking Heads or very straight up; a house with flames coming out. If you can see a way to really highlight the emotion that a line evokes, then I'd say go for it.

And here is the last card I'm planning to make:
I saw a Venice Glass, Sixteen foot deep,
I saw a well
, full of mens tears that weep,

1_20191230_125037-1021x1532.jpg

I decided to do a decidedly more fantastical well; this is the Well of Wisdom with the Salmon of Knowledge at the bottom, eating its 9 hazelnuts. Taken from the Celtic myth.

Yes, there are lots of fun ways to do the peacock. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a flock(?) of peacocks! Or, it appears they would be an ostentation of peacocks.

This theme was actually the very first swap I ever hosted, over 10 years ago on the OS. Like now, my first swap was limited and filled up. If it helps, variations on the cloud and the comet were popular, though there was a smattering of some other lines as well. (Vicki would love the card that moves the oak on the ground)

I managed to come up with some pathetic drawings but I would like to join anyway.

The man who saw the ant eating a whale, a blazing comet, a 16 foot venetian glass and men's tears.
View attachment 212136

A pismere swallowing a whale (more or less a whale)
View attachment 212138

a sturdy oak creeping on the ground (giving a squirrel a ride)
View attachment 212137

I absolutely LOVE your cards, Shirley! The first one is my favourite, but I really love them all!

I managed to come up with some pathetic drawings but I would like to join anyway.

The man who saw the ant eating a whale, a blazing comet, a 16 foot venetian glass and men's tears.
View attachment 212136

A pismere swallowing a whale (more or less a whale)
View attachment 212138

a sturdy oak creeping on the ground (giving a squirrel a ride)
View attachment 212137

Apparently, this poem was first published in the Westminster Drollery (1671). Looks like this was a song book, which given the scheme of the poem would make some sense. This poem/song is discussed in the same way as "Three Blind Mice" and the earliest version of "A frog he would a-wooing go." I rather like a-wooing go, although went a courtin' is also good.

Source:
Fox, Adam. Oral and Literate Culture in England, 1500-1700. Clarendon Press, 2000.

Back
Top Bottom