Media
ATC Swap Due Date: Due March 20, 2020
Signup/Withdraw Date: Due March 20, 2020
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome
THE ROARING TWENTIES, Due March 20, 2020

RETURNS MAILED 03/24

This is a swap about the "Roaring 20's", and what made the 1920's ROAR. The Roaring 20's is MORE than flappers, bootleggers, gangsters, and suffragists. It is more than the Charleston, cloche hats, bobbed hair, fedoras and zoot suits.

A century ago America experienced a single decade that changed the nation forever.

The 20's were a decade discovery, with a plethora of awesome inventions.
For inventions in the 1920's:
http://www.american-historama.org/19...-the-1920s.htm

There were incredible books written in the 1920's, and we ain't just talking about "The Great Gatsby", "A Farewell To Arms", and other required reading from your high school days.
Here is a list of the 50 best books of the 1920's, from war, to humor, to children's books. See how many of the titles you recognize and/or have actually read.
http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/the-5...s-of-the-1920s

There were some incredible (unique, inventive) slang phrases in the 1920', some still in use today, some having the same meaning all these years later, some totally forgotten. "She is The Bees Knees", "lend me a clam, a sawbuck, "
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-slang/322320/

This was a time of Jazz legends like Louie Armstrong, Jellyroll Morton, Duke Ellington;
and Baseball is the major sport with Babe Ruth as the favorite player.

Not one, but two Amendments were added to the United States Constitution in the 1920's.
Prohibition 1920 (the 18th Amendment)
Women gaining the Right to Vote 1920 (the 19th Amendment)

Songs were written about Booze in the 1920's, such as "Away With Rum".
This song was later used by the Temperance Union, and this same song is in the ending of the (currently popular) Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Series 2 Episode 3. It is also on an album by Tom Lehrer popular in the 1960's. Oddly, I know more verses of this song than are listed on the web! :0)

Suffragette slogans proliferated, such as "Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine".
Lines were drawn between the "Wet's" and the "Dry's" which split up many a family with differing opinions.

This is ten years packed full of bootleggers; mobsters; Hollywood stars; Cross-Atlantic Airplane flights; Mickey Mouse's debut in "Steamboat Willie"; the first talking movies; the discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen; unbelievable classic cars; the climbing of the Woolworth Building that got more publicity than climbing Mount Everest; and the stock market crash.

I am from the United States, specifically Minnesota, so I know a great deal about events in this country, but,
You can focus on any event, in any country, world wide, as long as the event(s) occurred in the 1920's.

If you are from Australia, it was a momentous decade. A number of Australian icons started in the 1920's. Think Quantas, founded in November, 1920.

If you live in, or wish you could live in, Egypt, there were major happenings there in 1922 and 1923. Think about the famous golden mask of King Tutankhamen.

If you are from Canada, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) was formed February 1, 1920. Don't you just love those bright red Mountie uniforms?

If you like "Spooky", Anoka, Minnesota, is the "Halloween Capital of the World", because it hosted one of the first Halloween parades in 1920.

What happened in the 1920's where you are?
Create three different cards representing something that happened 1920 through 1929, things that made the Roaring 20's ROAR.......

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 2 "Forever" stamps. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by March 20, 2020. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

1. WAHMBrenda -- Cards Received 1/25
2. Donnacr -- Cards Received 3/16 * AUSTRALIA
*3. Ancient Planter -- Cards Received 2/11
*4. aginghippychic -- Cards Received 2/04
rn5. CMontalvo -- Cards Received 3/17
*6. Onaki -- Cards Received 3/20
*7. Mrs.Alderman -- Cards Received 2/29
*8. artbymee -- Cards Received 2/21
*9. Boots -- Cards Received 2/05
*10. JenUrebel -- Cards Received 2/29
rn11. cmcarli -- Cards Received 3/09
12. dithespy -- MAILED * FRANCE
*13. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 2/13
*//. TrinaLD -- WITHDREW
*//. dnewton972 -- WITHDREW
*//. dradford75 -- WITHDREW
*//. ThE_Good_GuY -- NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
*//. kpax -- NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
History was made in the Roaring 20's.
Names we remember today like Al Capone and Bonnie and Clyde; Louie Armstrong and Babe Ruth; Tallulah Bankhead and Zelda Fitzgerald; and King Tutankhamen, were first made popular in the 20's.

Books by T.S. Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Hemingway peppered many an English Literature class, not to mention Winnie the Pooh, the Velveteen Rabbit, and other famous children's books.

Fashion of the 1920's makes FAB ATCs.
flapper dresses, zoot suits, spats, cloches, and fedoras,

Prohibition and Speakeasies, Vaudeville, the Charleston, Jazz

Last edited:
Sign me up - I have some ladies left over (unmade and, hence, unoffered) from the ATART.

Seems I have to offer the ladies as you have remembered the history cards I made for the last swap way too well. ;)

You can make those history cards again.
They will go to different participants in this swap, and as you may remember, lots of people liked them last time.

What about wacky advertisements like babies selling cigarettes or cats selling liquor and stove polish?

If the advertisements were from the 1920's, GREAT......
I have not seen anything you have listed above, so I am really, really interested.

Go for it!!!!! :twitcy:

Historical events in the 1920's make GREAT ATCs for this swap.

Consider the "Rock Stars" and record breakers of flight:
On May 21, 1927, the aviator Charles A. Lindbergh landed his Spirit of St. Louis near Paris, completing the first solo airplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Lindbergh was just 25 years old when he completed the trip.

But Lindbergh was not the only pilot of the 20's. Remember female pilots Amelia Earhart, Harriet Quimby, Bessie Coleman. Remember them and Howard Hughes for their contributions to flight and who also set several aviation speed records.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom