THE ROARING TWENTIES, Due March 20, 2020

Mine went out in yesterday's mail! It's such a fun theme, and so filled with fabulous things, that I had difficulty focusing & simplifying ... I think I was overwhelmed with ideas! But I did, finally, use my favorite ad from a 1929 National Educational Association Journal. I've been carrying these old magazines around for 15 years now. Did you know that teachers in the 20s and 30s had to teach students the fine art of gum massage? :twitcy:

Mine went out in yesterday's mail! It's such a fun theme, and so filled with fabulous things, that I had difficulty focusing & simplifying ... I think I was overwhelmed with ideas! But I did, finally, use my favorite ad from a 1929 National Educational Association Journal. I've been carrying these old magazines around for 15 years now. Did you know that teachers in the 20s and 30s had to teach students the fine art of gum massage? :twitcy:

I will watch for your cards and let you know when they arrive.
Thanks for the information on gum massage. Perhaps teachers should teach that class again.
Today's humans gum's are pathetic, and subject to gingivitis.

Can modern postage stamps be used on ATCs created for this swap?

Yes, they can, as long as the stamp used pertains to something that happened in the 1920's.
Often stamps are issued to commemorate something that occurred 50 years ago, or one hundred years ago, so 2020 is the perfect year to honor events from 1920.

Your cards and whatever postage stamp you decide to use need to fit the 1920's theme.

Last edited:
AWESOME cards received from Ancient Planter.
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

Last edited:
I'm overwhelmed by all of my choices. I did some research yesterday and have enough ideas to last a lifetime!

I know exactly what you mean.
I am having trouble deciding what samples to put into my gallery.
There are so many things going on in the 20's.

I saw a great documentary on the history channel over the weekend about Hershey/Mars and Birds Eye/Post. It must have been a very exciting decade!

I saw a great documentary on the history channel over the weekend about Hershey/Mars and Birds Eye/Post. It must have been a very exciting decade!
Yes, aren't they GREAT!!

In addition to what you mention, the History channel also covered Heinz 57 and Spam
When I saw the documentaries, there were 3 episodes, sounds like what you saw were episodes 1 and 2.
The series (of documentaries) is called "The Food that Built America" and they are AWESOME.
Wish this stuff had been covered in my history/economics classes.

AWESOME cards received from artbymee.
What a spectacular assortment.

How fantastic that you included a Cupie Doll, which I think is really a Kewpie, a brand of dolls and figurines that were conceived as comic strip characters by cartoonist Rose O'Neill.
The Kewpie dolls were initially made out of bisque exclusively, but composition versions were introduced in the 1920s so you exactly fit our 1920's theme!!!! :jiggy:

Reproduction Kewpie Dolls were carnival prizes in the 50's and 60's,
but the originals became antique collectibles for anyone who had the originals from the 20's.

I am very intrigued by the toy on a stick.
I feel like I have seen him before.
Do you remember the name of the red and white (Christmas toy???) you pictured on one of your ATCs?
He looks familiar, and I feel like I have seen him before, but I cannot place him. (You have succeeded in stumping the host!)
Give me his name and context, and I will send you a freebie ATC with your returns!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom