Star Wars Cantina ~ Hand-drawn/Hand-Painted/Collage ~ Due April 2

Foxglove

ATC Guru
Media
Swap Due Date: 2 April
Sign-up/Withdraw Date: You officially sign up when I receive your cards
Number of Cards: 3:3 (may be 6:6 if there are enough participants)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…
Reading those words still sends a tingle down my spine, and I know I am not the only one! This swap is for all fans of Star Wars, whether you are a hardcore charter member of the 501st Legion (I can only dream!) or a more casual devotee, all are welcome here…even droids! This swap is open to all versions of Star Wars, from the original trilogy to the most recent show The Mandalorian, from the comic books to the novels. You can depict any Star Wars character(s), ship(s) or scene (what exactly does a Nerf Herder look like?), and you can do it in any style, from showing something directly from the movies/shows (Reylos and Baby Yodas welcome!) to the lighter side (What do you call a pirate droid? An Arrrrgh-2-D2! What do you call Anakin Skywalker in a gondola? A Phantom Venice!! :biglaugh:) So put on your favorite Star Wars movie or show and let the Force flow through you!

DOs and DON’Ts:
~DO your best work – newbies are welcome, but put effort into your cards. Don’t have a stick figure on a white background and call it good.
~DON’T slap a few pieces of paper around and call it good. Put time and effort into the composition
~DO make sure any embellishments are flat, well-secured and won’t fall off. NO LOOSE GLITTER.
~DON’T steal someone else’s fanart. That’s just rude, and I will send the cards back if I discover they are copies of something another person has made.
~DO ask questions if you have them, and DO have fun with this!
~DO post pictures, if you can, to help inspire everyone else.

CARD GUIDELINES
~Cards must be 2.5x3.5 inches, sturdy and neatly cut. I will return cards that are misshapen, lopsided or more than 1/8th of an inch off.
~Cards must be in a protective plastic sleeve.
~Embellishments not encouraged, but if you do use them, please make them flat and complimentary with the card.
~Host cards/gifts never required, but will be treasured.

MAILING GUIDELINES
~Include a Forever stamp (U.S.) or a concealed U.S. dollar or U.S. Forever Stamp (if outside the U.S). ***I will pay for the returns for the first two International players who join the swap.***
~Include a neatly written/typed return label.
~Do not include a return envelope – I will provide those.

HAND-DRAWN/HAND-PAINTED:
1. Foxglove
2. Wolf_Moon (6)
3. Jo.on.the.go (6)
4. Plumhill2001
5. AmeBee
6. Bluemorningglory

Last edited:
Question: When you say not to copy fanart, do you mean photocopy or don't use it as a photo reference for a hand drawn piece? I can't draw without a reference photo, so I wondered if I should just stay away from fanart and use actual photos or what.
Just lurking for now, but wondering about that. ;)

Question: When you say not to copy fanart, do you mean photocopy or don't use it as a photo reference for a hand drawn piece? I can't draw without a reference photo, so I wondered if I should just stay away from fanart and use actual photos or what.
Just lurking for now, but wondering about that. ;)

That is an excellent question - I also need to look at photos for reference, especially since I would have to look at something to figure out how to draw an alien or the TIE fighter or something.

That is all it should be, though...a reference. What I don't want to happen is for someone to see a painting/drawing on DeviantArt or Instagram and draw something exactly like it (or print it off and use it in their collage) without permission. It's okay to look at a photo or drawing to figure out how to make a weapon or ship or a uniform/outfit (I would have no idea how to draw a Stormtrooper without looking at a photo). But if someone has fanart of, let's say Darth Maul trying to change Baby Yoda's diaper, I don't want to see that exact same thing in the exact same pose in an ATC. Take inspiration from it and maybe instead have Darth Maul giving Baby Yoda a rattle or druggie plush toy or something, but it shouldn't look exactly like what someone else made.

Does that help? There is a ton of fan art for the Star Wars universe, and I want to make sure that the players don't inadvertently steal someone else's efforts. I plan to make some HD/HP cards, and this will definitely be a challenge for me, but that's okay...its my best effort, and that is all anyone can ask for! :cute:

That is an excellent question - I also need to look at photos for reference, especially since I would have to look at something to figure out how to draw an alien or the TIE fighter or something.

That is all it should be, though...a reference. What I don't want to happen is for someone to see a painting/drawing on DeviantArt or Instagram and draw something exactly like it (or print it off and use it in their collage) without permission. It's okay to look at a photo or drawing to figure out how to make a weapon or ship or a uniform/outfit (I would have no idea how to draw a Stormtrooper without looking at a photo). But if someone has fanart of, let's say Darth Maul trying to change Baby Yoda's diaper, I don't want to see that exact same thing in the exact same pose in an ATC. Take inspiration from it and maybe instead have Darth Maul giving Baby Yoda a rattle or druggie plush toy or something, but it shouldn't look exactly like what someone else made.

Does that help? There is a ton of fan art for the Star Wars universe, and I want to make sure that the players don't inadvertently steal someone else's efforts. I plan to make some HD/HP cards, and this will definitely be a challenge for me, but that's okay...its my best effort, and that is all anyone can ask for! :cute:

Yes! Good answer. ;) Thanks. I'll probably pass for now just because I'm not, probably, a big enough Star Wars fan, lol. I went to the first movie back in the '80's with my nine year old stepson, but I don't think I've seen any of the others. Y'all have fun!

Oh my gosh, Jo.on.the.go, those are AMAZING! I can't even tell which is my favorite!

Yes! Good answer. ;) Thanks. I'll probably pass for now just because I'm not, probably, a big enough Star Wars fan, lol. I went to the first movie back in the '80's with my nine year old stepson, but I don't think I've seen any of the others. Y'all have fun!

There is no such thing as not being a big enough fan! ;) I personally didn't like the revamped original movies (the ones with the added bad CGI), and I despise the prequels (Phantom Menace, etc). They won back my sense of love and wonder with Rogue One and the following movies, but the original original movies hold a special place in my heart.

You will be welcomed back if you happen to change your mind! :wubclub:

My oldest son, born in 1978, was a true Star Wars fan. He and his best friend would play act Star Wars for days. For Halloween I made Jawa and Ben Kenobi costumes. We lived Star Wars for years. What frustration it was not being at the store when the Luke, Han and Leia action figures were put on the shelves!
Just recently I read the Star Wars trilogy. See my reviews in the 2020 book challenge. I am now reading The Journey of Luke Skywalker: An Analysis of Modern Myth and Symbol by Steven A. Galipeau. The writing isn’t great, but I am gaining insights to plot devices that I had not picked up on my own.
May the Force be with you.

I have not managed to read the books, but some of the core ones are on my list. I remember as little girl, making friends with the neighbor's boy so that I could play with his Star Wars toys. Now as an adult, I have a Kylo Ren and Darth Vader figure, a Star Wars Monopoly set, and somewhere I have pens that make sounds. There is a Darth Vader that makes the breathing noise, the Imperial March, and some of his sayings. The Luke Skywalker one also says Luke saying. I need to find those and change out the batteries. :biglaugh: Next on my list is the Mandolorian with a baby Yoda. :yes:
Oh! I also just recently bought a Vader ugly sweater that says "I find your lack of cheer disturbing."

I love it when a relative passes on a love of something like this. Should I add you to the list, AmeBee?

lurking..been a fan since 1977...Will see if I can get something drawn before I commit.

20200120_175304.jpg

Here is an AT-AT. I still have to color this and the Mandolorian, but I wanted to hopefully give inspiration to others.

Attachments

• 20200120_175044.jpg
    20200120_175044.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 7
20200120_175304.jpg

Here is an AT-AT. I still have to color this and the Mandolorian, but I wanted to hopefully give inspiration to others. (Edited to try and fix the photo.)

Back
Top Bottom