The Easter Bilby-Australian Animal Swap HandDrawn/Paint+other media, due April 24th

snager

ATC Novice
Illustration, Rendering, HP/HD, fiber art, hand pulled print making

Swap Due Date - April 24th
Signup/withdraw date - April 22nd (earth day)
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants: 20 max!

0. Snager
1. Wolf_Moon
2. aginghippychic [arrived!]

For every participant who sends in Australian Wildlife Cards, I will donate $2 to the Save the Bilby Fund!!

So you've heard of The Easter Bilby, yes? What? No, not the Easter Bunny!
Rabbits are one of the most loved and purposefully-introduced animals by European settlers to new ecosystems - but in a land where the rabbits don't have any real competition.. well. They wreak havoc.

So in honor of Earth Day and to coincide with Easter and to welcome the Australian Bush finally getting some rain, we're going to be celebrating the unique biodiversity and beauty of Australian wildlife!

Bilbies and other marsupials are a great start, but did you know around 15% of all known world parrot species are found in Australia? 1/10 bird species are Australian or from near-by islands, including the Blue Fairy Penguin, the smallest penguin on earth! Did you know the largest cockroach described by science is also endemic there? Many reptiles that are a staple in the pet trade have ancestry in Australia and New Caledonia, such as the Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongued Skink and Crested Gecko! And if you're a fan of Finding Nemo, you're a fan of The Great Barrier Reef.

Animal Rules:
- Australian animals
- New Zealand animals
- Tasmanian animals
- New Caledonian animals
- Marine animals
- Extinct animals
- Can be Easter themed!
- Can be Earth Day themed!
- Nothing that came to Australia less than 3,000 years ago

Art Media Rules:
- painting, drawing, rendering, illustration (hand drawn/ hand painted)
- print making (can all be run off the same hand-carved stamp but must have personal touches)
- thread painting, embroidery, applique
- place in a sleeve OR make sure the art is sealed, dry and protected

Special Prizes:
Anyone who sends an invertebrate will get a special extra surprise from me!

MAILING:
Ask for my address in private messages when ready to send. Send one address label with your preferred address and enough return postage to cover your cards. International mail: send enough american dollars to cover return shipping, or you may pay me through pay pal! Envelopes and card sleeves will be provided!

Last edited:
WOW....
Australian invertebrates.
A challenge!!!!

Confusion: Does "+ Other media" include collage?.....Your Art Media Rules do not include this.
You say card sleeves will be provided, but you request to place cards in a sleeve.

Please clarify.
I am interested, but do not want to sign up, then drop out, if I have mis-understood the rules.

Last edited:
@Vicki Z

I said put a sleeve on your card because I have gotten some (from other websites to be honest) that were not sealed : they were some kind of loose or dry or flaky media that needed more carrier or a sealant on top like mod podge or elmer's glue or something. a sleeve can act as lamination, though it can also make dry pastels ect. lift off. this is just a rule to make sure the cards are not going to leak their contents within their own envelopes on the way to my house, wherein they would then be gifted a penny sleeve. all cards that arrive without sleeves will get a penny sleeve, whether their pigment came off or not. It would be rad if people use their own sleeves to protect the cards, but if you ran out or haven't got any, I will provide them.

also: +other medias means the ones listed in the description. NO college unless its cloth applique (machine or hand applique are both acceptable). NO STICKERS. no scrap booking. if rubber stamps are used, they need to be one's own design and not a scrap booking stamp from the scrap booking section of a hobby store. I don't care what method of print making is used or how the rubber is cut or carved (by hand, mailed off to be laser cut, acid etched ect.) or if someone wants to make a stencil or even use silk screen or some method of wax resist or chemical reaction so long as nothing irritating or toxic will come in contact with the end players / recipients of the cards.

sorry i'm still trying to learn the nomenclature this site uses. 'mixed media' usually means 5+ mediums when we're talking about art (example, a sculpture made from wood, oil paint, sand, cotton fiber, a found object), but here it means 'scrap booking.'

I didn't know which word to use to mean 'draw something in ANY medium', because here people say hd/hp to mean 'illustration' but also 'painting.' and on Illustrated ATCs they don't accept illustrations and drawings that aren't 'pen and paper' . but here, people do respect fiber art, which I respect, too. in art circles, when someone makes a drawing in fiber art, they call it 'thread painting' or 'illustration.' But it's not a popular art form on the side of the art world i'm active in, so I wasn't sure what word to use for 'fiber art drawings' that would be familiar on here. :/

but if i advertised 'draw in any medium' people might think this was meant to be an exercise in brutalism and to draw with sticks and mud with shells and rocks glued on top (while we're at it: no embellishments, please!)

Please use reasonably stable and archival materials
fiber arts can be made using transfers
hand pulled prints should not be made using transfers of other artists' work or copy written images
hand pulled prints can be made from found objects from legitimate literal nature
drawings and paintings can be heavily referenced studies from photos

tl;dr - 'other media' does not mean collage
it DOES mean fiber art drawings and print making

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation.
I appreciate the time you took to make things clear.
There is much less confusion now.
Thanks again.

sorry for the mix-up, guys

and WELCOME Aginghippychic!

those are all so cute and amazing, Hippiechick! thanks so much for the butterfly as well! the bilby is extra cute. gosh they all are!

Snager, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to withdraw. I am having some difficulty with this and have been sick (not with the virus) for the past couple of weeks.

sorry to see you go, Trina. Thanks for communicating, and get well soon!

bilby a ss.jpgbilby b s.jpgbrush tail possum s.jpgcasowary s.jpg

Hippie Chick's cards really inspired me to put in my best effort! I'm so proud of these!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom