Addicted to ATCs
Media
Swap Due Date: May 10, 2020
Signup/Withdraw Date: May 10, 2020
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

The Sweetest Sin (Temptations of Chocolate), Due May 10, 2020

Did you get chocolate for Valentine’s Day?
You might be TEMPTED to throw a tantrum if you didn't.

Are you aware Lent starts tomorrow?
Should you give up chocolate? Could you give up chocolate? You might already be TEMPTED to sneak some chocolate, or, if not yet, you will be.

What could be a sweeter sin than indulging quietly in this mountain of chocolate? We have an abundance of chocolate, from sweet chocolate, to milk chocolate, to dark chocolate, to white chocolate. There is a wide range of local chocolate from M&M's, to Hershey's candy bars, to Godiva Truffles, as well as the decadent Swiss chocolate, the delicious German chocolate, and the Leonidas fresh Belgium chocolates.

For this swap you can pursue your Chocolate sins and temptations, and what forms those temptations take, from mild cravings (Will work for Chocolate) to “Chocoholics Unite!” (The Love of Chocolate)
You can fight your temptations from Chocolate or not fight them, but share what form those temptations take. (Chocolate is Not A Substitute For Love, But It’s Sure Easier to Get)

Create ATCs that celebrate Chocolate.
Use candy wrappers, advertising glossies, and collage.
Use tis swap as an excuse to eat chocolate! Think Ferrero Rocher...those are amazing! The wrappers will make beautiful backgrounds too.
Try hand drawn. For those of you who feel you cannot draw, try simple candies. Make a rectangle candy bar, or an oval bonbon. Top those Chocolates with Liquid Appliqué to simulate cherry swirls or cream toppings.
Experiment with new mediums to show Chocolate DESIRES.
Melted crayons in shades of brown almost looks SINFULLY edible!
Pull out your scratch and sniff chocolate embossing powders. The smell is so authentic, it makes one salivate! (The Scent of Chocolate)

You can explore one’s downfall from (Or downfall due to) Chocolate, from the oft-heard (The Things I’ve Done For Chocolate) to the Chocolate Covered fruit offered to Eve in the Garden of Eden. (The Sins of Chocolate)(Good Girls Gone Bad – because of Chocolate)(Chocolate Made Me Do It).
You can talk about the consequents of chocolate, although that doesn’t stop us from eating it.

You can follow down the path of the Cadbury Chocolate Easter Eggs, or animated M&M’s. Did you know that FAO Schwarz, (yes, the TOY Store), used to carry M&M’s in 21 different colors?) And On April 12, 1981, M&Ms made their first voyage into space on the shuttle Columbia.

CHOCOLATE IS A PLANT
You can focus on chocolate (the end product), or on the cacao tree (growing product) with its swollen fruit pods and fragrant drooping flowers (Sensual and Tempting), or the fact that chocolate is a plant (producing cacao beans - EAT YOUR VEGETABLES). Explore the sensual and tempting and HEALTHY side of dark chocolate.

CHOCOLATE QUOTES
You can illustrate sayings (“I like my men like I like my chocolate, RICH!”) (“I'd give up Chocolate, but I'm no quitter.")

CHOCOLATE EASTER BUNNIES
You can honor the tradition of eating the ears off Chocolate Easter Bunnies.
If this comment means nothing to you, think about "Sally Forth" in her comic strip.
Sally has a quirky habit of eating the ears off of her daughter's chocolate Easter bunnies. Daughter Hilary annually schemes to hide her Easter bunny (to save its ears) but usually fails.

CHOCOLATE SUPERSTITIONS AND URBAN LEGENDS
You can use any of the Superstitions and Old Wives Tales associated with Chocolate.
Didn't know there were any? Silly you! Chocolate is reputed to be an Aphrodisiac. When Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortes heard this, he planted 2,000 cocoa trees. And you must have heard that Chocolate is good for sex, and everyone knows that Green M&Ms make you horny.

But perhaps not really, M&Ms heard this and they had their green M&M character address that rumor. In addition, red M&Ms are rumored to get one pregnant. I heard this story when I was in grade school, and I didn't eat the red ones for years. Ok, so I was gullible. I was a kid!!!!!

CHOCOLATE MOVIES
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - with Gene Wilder
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - with Johnny Depp
Chocolat - again with Johnny Depp

CHOCOLATE - Think Outside the Box
Chocolate Soldier - a drink
Chocolate Albatross - a butterfly with chocolate wing markings
Chocolate Easter Bilby - Popular in Australia
Chocolate Beauty - a sweet Bell Pepper Variety
Chocolate Chip Plant - a variety of ajuga, whose leaves are a mix of rich chocolate-purple when grown in full sun

AND PLEASE REMEMBER:
Chocolate is the FIFTH FOOD GROUP

Chocolate is a plant. Cocoa beans are BEANS.
Cocoa powder is low in fat and calories and contains flavonoids, making it a healthy food choice.
Chocolate is a mild antidepressant.
Recent studies indicate that Dark Chocolate is a particularly good option.
Indulge regularly and often, for good health.

TRIVIA ALERT
“Chocolate House” -- A public house where ideas were born and chocolate was consumed during the 1860’s, much like the “Coffee Houses” were the gathering places of the intellectuals and the artists of the 1960’s.
John Cadbury was an English chocolate magnate. Born into a wealthy Quaker family in Birmingham, Cadbury felt strongly that alcohol consumption was a serious social problem, and he was determined to offer the public an alternative. He rented an old malt house, ironically once used for brewing the “dreaded devil's drink”, (alcohol), and began to manufacture beverages made from chocolate. He subsequently enjoyed a virtual monopoly of chocolate products in England, and chocolate for some became an alternative to alcohol.

Personally, I don't want to give up alcohol for chocolate, so I have BOTH. I have a recipe for Hot Chocolate with Bailey's Irish Creme, cinnamon schnapps, and chocolate liquor that is AWESOME in mid-winter in Minnesota (or cool fall evenings, or rainy summer afternoons, or, well, anytime!!!!!)

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 2 "Forever" stamps. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by May 10, 2020. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

I have used up all my allotted space in this post.
Please see next post for participant list

Last edited:
Current Participants
Chocolate, Due May 10, 2020

*1. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 4/13
*/. WAHMBrenda -- WITHDREW
*2. Onaki -- Cards Received 4/28
*3. Mrs.Alerman -- Cards Received 4/28
4. Donnacr -- -- Cards Received 6/02
*/. Stahlrala -- WITHDREW
*5. Monica -- -- Cards Received 5/05
*6. Boots -- Cards Received 4/13

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
TRIVIA:
Chocolate can be made from cow milk, sheep milk, goat milk, and camel milk - that I know of - as well as from some plants such as soy milk.

The camel milk chocolate from Dubai I've had, and it was very good.
No teasing.....
The soy milk chocolate I have not tried yet, but soy takes on its surrounding flavors so probably tastes like chocolate.

Actually, I like goat milk chocolate, goat milk cheese, goat milk cottage cheese, goat milk yogurt, goat milk etc.
But raising my own goats may make a difference.
I watch what they eat, because what they eat affects the taste of the milk, which in turn affects the taste of everything made from their milk. Everyone I have fed my goat milk to comments on how wonderfully tasty it is.
I think you would like it as well. (I do have them taste it first, before I tell them it is from goats, just so that they are not biased against it before they even try it.)

Last edited:
My grandfather always gave my mom a Whitman's Sampler on special occasions. After his death, I've carried on the tradition. Christmas, Valentines Day, her birthday (March), mother's day (May). Then there's a bit of a break until Christmas rolls back around. Sometimes I'll get her those mini samplers to tide her over and supplement her diet of hershey kisses, peanut M&Ms and Hershey miniatures variety bag. She consumes a lot of chocolate, but who am I to keep her from it. She's almost 89 and can have all of the chocolate she wants at this point :)

My grandfather always gave my mom a Whitman's Sampler on special occasions. After his death, I've carried on the tradition. Christmas, Valentines Day, her birthday (March), mother's day (May). Then there's a bit of a break until Christmas rolls back around. Sometimes I'll get her those mini samplers to tide her over and supplement her diet of hershey kisses, peanut M&Ms and Hershey miniatures variety bag. She consumes a lot of chocolate, but who am I to keep her from it. She's almost 89 and can have all of the chocolate she wants at this point :)

December, February, March, May....that is not even every other Month. :eek:
Poor mom, only 4 traditional (special occasion) chocolate days. :(
You should consider January 27, National Chocolate Cake Day; National Chocolate Eclair Day (June 22nd); Parent's Day, on the fourth Sunday of July; and November Thanksgiving Day, to even out the chocolate Whitman's Samplers with four more months: January, June, July, and November.

Last edited:
There are "chocolate" holidays, but all of the "National" chocolate holidays are in January and February, which doesn't help your mom.

There is a chocolate pie day, and December 16 is all about chocolate because it is Chocolate Covered Anything Day. (But this one is another December holiday) :0(

National Chocolate Holidays:
January 3: National Chocolate-Covered Cherries Day. January 10: National Bittersweet Chocolate Day. January 27: National Chocolate Cake Day. February 1: National Dark Chocolate Day.

Last edited:
Trivia:
General Mills sells/ships their base "Kix" cereal (a crispy corn puff which has not yet been seasoned, sugared, etc.) to Iceland in 50 pound totes.
The folks in Iceland dip the Kix pieces in chocolate, and sell it in small bags as a snack item, much as we sell potato chips here.
Hundreds of Thousands of Pounds of product are shipped to Iceland annually for their re-mix into snacks.
They look like malted milk balls, but taste entirely different.
I have only had the chocolate covered Kix once, but the taste is enough to make one move to Iceland........

HAPPY NATIONAL OREO COOKIE DAY.

Be ready to observe TODAY by having your glass of milk hand, as it is National Oreo Cookie Day.
This day is recognized across the nation each year on March 6th.
Did you know the Oreo cookie was invented in 1912, by the late Sam J. Porcello, a former Nabisco food scientist ...
OMG!!!:swoon:
That cookies is older than I am.

The history channel is running a documentary on Hershey and Mars.
Check your local listings to see if it is available in your area.
The show is very interesting.

Some chocolate quotes:
Feel free to use any....that is what they are for....inspiration/stimulation

"Chocolate is the answer, no matter what the question is!"
"Hands off the chocolate and no one gets hurt."
"In the beginning there was chocolate and the Lord saw that it was good. Then he separated the light from the dark and saw that it was better."
"Is chocolate divinely good or devilishly good? That IS the question."
"Oh chocolate, how do I love thee? Let me EAT the ways!"

Back
Top Bottom