ATC Swap Due Date: May 15, 2020
Signup/Withdraw Date: May 15, 2020
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

ABRACADABRA AND OTHER TRADITIONS, SUPERSTITIONS, AND BELIEFS,
FORMS OF PROTECTION, HEALING, AND LUCK, Due May 15, 2020

RETURNS MAILED 5/15

This month we have one of the "rare" "Friday the 13th's", a date that only occurs once or twice in an entire year.
A "bad luck" day? Does one need protection on Friday the 13th?
We also have St Patrick's Day, a day that only occurs once in an entire year.
A "good luck" day? Do you seek out the little people, horseshoes, 4 leaf clovers, and other symbols of good luck?

Some people are very nervous of Friday the 13th and try to protect themselves. Others say they have their best, luckiest, most fun, times on Friday the 13th.

Do you try to protect yourself (from bad luck) on Friday the 13th? Are you superstitious of Friday the 13th?
Superstitions are born out of a need for protection against bad luck, or avoidance of bad luck, or a way to avoid bad luck and get good luck instead.
Do you have talismans of protection against bad luck, and/or charms of good luck?

PROTECTION AGAINST BAD LUCK
Do you refuse to walk under ladders?
Do you have to throw salt over your left shoulder if you spill the salt? Do you know why?
You can talk about superstitions to keep bad luck away, tossing salt, knock on wood, foods to eat or avoid.
Do you stay home every Friday the 13th? Stay in bed? Hide?
Or is it a LUCKY day for you, wherein you find your best bargains and special purchases?

SUPERSTITIONS TO ENCOURAGE GOOD LUCK
Do you hang your horseshoe open end up (to catch the luck) or open end down over a doorway (to pour out the luck on whomever passes through)?
Do you hunt for four leaf clovers as soon as the lawn turns green?
Do you see if the end of the rainbow (and its pot of gold) is anywhere close to you?
Do you carry a lucky rabbit's foot on your key chain? Does the rabbit feel lucky about that practice?
Do you look for Leprechauns all this month (or any other month)?
Do you purchase your lottery tickets only on the 7th day of the month?

FAMILY TRADITIONS TO BRING GOOD LUCK IN THE NEW YEAR
Eating black beans at New Year to ensure good luck in the coming year, Serving Lutefisk at Christmas, Wearing Red Underwear or giving red Envelopes at Chinese New year, etc......

SUPERSTITIONS TO PREVENT BAD LUCK, OR TO AVERT EVIL
You can make ATCs that show Superstitions other than a fear of Friday the 13th.
I'm not superstitious, but I won't walk under a ladder.
Knock on wood when you say that!
Spilled the salt? Toss a pinch over your shoulder.
Think horseshoes hung over doors, rabbits feet for luck, avoiding breaking mirrors for bad luck, planting Rosemary, finding four leaf clovers, carving Jack O Lanterns at Halloween to repel Evil Spirits
And don't forget the power of the human eye or pictures of same.
The eye is a powerful talisman for protection. It is as old as Egypt, and the Eye of Horus is often found in the Egyptian hieroglyphics. Lucky Eye beads are found in many modern jewelry pieces.

CARDS FOR HEALING AND PROTECTION
With the advent of the Corona Virus, and so many people getting ill, some of us been thinking that we would like to create cards to share healing and protection with those who need it (and who doesn't these days!?).
We can make cards for ourselves (and loved ones).
We can trade healing and protection ATCs (and/or) coins.

The world is filled with traditions and superstitions, good luck charms, sayings to say, and things to do.
Every country, ethnic group, family (and sports team and their fans) has their own.
Your cards can be spooky, or superstitious, or silly.
They can depict things you have heard, or things you personally do.
The ATCs can be protective traditions or superstitions within your family, or as part of your ethnic group or culture.

How do you deal with bad luck, good luck, protection, health and healing?
Use above suggestions or find your own traditions or superstitions.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If your ATC is drawn or otherwise created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 55 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 15 cent stamp (additional ounce postage) if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* Canadian and other International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. Please send $1.00 or 2 "Forever" stamps. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.
* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due to me by May 15, 2020. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have misplaced my address, please send me a PM.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
Abracadabra and Other Forms of Protection, Due May 15, 2020

*1. Elliejaybird -- Cards Received 4/21
*2. TrinaLD -- Cards Received 5/11
3. An. M. Sudyka -- Cards Received 3/24
*/. Juju -- WITHDREW
*4. Evilmomlady -- Cards Received 5/05
*5. Boots -- Cards Received 4/13
*/. Molly_Rene -- NO CARDS, NO COMMUNICATION, NOT ON LINE SINCE 3/25
*6. aginghippychic -- Cards Received 4/21
*7. Vicki Z -- Cards Received 3/13

Last edited:
With the advent of the Corona Virus, and so many people getting ill, some of us been thinking that we would like to make a card to share healing and protection with those who need it (and who doesn't these days!?).

Making a card to share healing and protection with those who need it, is a wonderful idea.
Another idea might be trading healing and protection ATCs (and/or) coins among ourselves.
That way more people would be involved with creating, giving, and receiving.
It would be fun, and hopefully it would be healing, for lots of us to make these cards.

Hence this swap.

Lurkers welcome.
You could make some of your Healing Hand Stamped cards if you like.
You already have a head start.

Back
Top Bottom